Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Many different strategies could assist us, in taking the next step, even a flag

Addition of ready made players, developing youth, health and continiuty of the list, tweaking the gameplan, even a talented draftee

So in regards to the trade/draft period, I wouldn't be putting all our eggs in one particular basket

In the same way, thinking, playing a certain number of younger players will be the difference between success or failure

Sides in our position, pick players on output, we aren't in rebuild mode, where we should be pouring games into youth, we are in win mode
And this is the crux of the issue. Voss hasn't been honest with who he's brought in over the season.

He's rushed our injured players back too early, given numerous chances to players like Fantasia, Motlop, Durdin, even though they are cooked, injured or horribly out of form, yet blokes like Carrol, Binns, Lord etc. get one or 2 games then straight back out, despite showing something.

That has to stop or else he'll lose the players.

And this is the crux of the issue. Voss hasn't been honest with who he's brought in over the season.

He's rushed our injured players back too early, given numerous chances to players like Fantasia, Motlop, Durdin, even though they are cooked, injured or horribly out of form, yet blokes like Carrol, Binns, Lord etc. get one or 2 games then straight back out, despite showing something.

Voss doesn't sign off on players returning from injury and no one was re-injured in that final. Can you imagine this place if we still got spanked and didn't include the returning experienced players?

Although, we can all make a case for players being shy of match fitness and we all questioned 1 or all of the selections

Carroll played 15 games, and there are viable reasons why the likes of Binns and Lord played minimal games

But, you only need to go back to last year, people blamed the selection policy in the 1st half of the season, but the 2nd half of the year had the same ish players on the park

I don't see form being the difference between 1 or 2 players being in or out of the side

Fantasia, Motlop and Durdin are small forwards. Carroll, Binns and Lord are midfielders/wing.
two very different reasons why they are or aren’t getting games

I'm not so sure they were "happy" to do it. They were in a similar situation to us where the kids weren't playing. That was until they had a glut of injuries and had no choice but to play them, which turned out to be the best thing for them and they ran with it.

Unfortunately for us, when similar happened to us and our kids looked good we dropped them all at once as soon as the older guys were fit.
I think Brisbane also persisted with the younger players at the expense of players like Lions and Robertson,

Voss doesn't sign off on players returning from injury and no one was re-injured in that final. Can you imagine this place if we still got spanked and didn't include the returning experienced players?
No but he seems to be happy to roll the dice on unfit players rather than give them a good spell to freshen up, and the more we play them underdone the more sore they become
Although, we can all make a case for players being shy of match fitness and we all questioned 1 or all of the selections

Carroll played 15 games, and there are viable reasons why the likes of Binns and Lord played minimal games
Wow, didnt think he played that many
But, you only need to go back to last year, people blamed the selection policy in the 1st half of the season, but the 2nd half of the year had the same ish players on the park

I don't see form being the difference between 1 or 2 players being in or out of the side
Not in the immediate scheme of things, but the more games we get into those who are knocking on the door, or needing to play a role due to an injury to a regular player, the faster they develop and are pushing best 22. Playing Fantasia in front of them makes no sense.

I don't know that people need to 'Calm down' over Houston, there are 150 pages of people discussing why not to get him.

Who cares anymore right? Let Pies waste their money and picks, we don't need AA players like the 2023 flag winners do, we're just fine.

Seems like a wonderful plan to go to the draft and bring a new talent, 1 fresh top 15 kid, awesome.

Seems like a great choice to bring in Haynes to replace Marchbank. What are we replacing? Haynes fan must confess.

Great result scoring the Campo kids for a 3rd round pick and rookie spot, most likely outcome. I think most of us who watched them this year are positive but know we ain't getting the Daicos boy's.

Combination of the above moves us into a contender position right? Natural progression?

We can hang our hopes over the next two drafts on Ison, Gresham and Cody, but how do we pay for them under new rules?

I know that the next three drafts will give us a Cripps replacement, hopefully others also. But when will we ever stop our rebuild and pull the trigger? It's not about Houston rather more about serious clubs getting stuff done to win a flag. We lack that.

Will this years pick 12 play better than a 2 x AA player over the next three years? If not then we are rebuilding again.

How do we add help for Weiters? Quality and quick ball movement? Someone who can read a pack and kick a goal?

Just don't get the management choices considering the list balance.

They tried to get help for weitering in leek aleer and failed, they tried to get speed forward of centre with hayward and failed. We dont need to waste another (2) 1st round picks on another hbf so I fully support going to the draft injecting some quality youth into those areas we lack and creating a bit of energy around the place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shambolic to be shedding mowies for no return. GW is going to have his hands full...
Surely it won't happen. Surely we are talking (at least internally) about delisting and rerookie-ing someone (Fantasia or C. Durdin) to make the list work.

I have to say, I have very little faith in our list management team. Re-signing Corey Durdin for 2 years in April was pretty daft the day they did it (the other 17 clubs weren't bashing the door down), and even so, it has aged dreadfully. Could no-one foresee the looming list squeeze, even with Cuningham, Marchbank and Martin on the chopping-block? Imagine the world of list-management pain we'd be in, had one of them actually shown something this year...

Perhaps we're fortunate to limit the damage to "just" a 33-goal forward +/- Jack Carroll. On the plus side, we can rest easy knowing that players 30-40 on our senior roster will include Corey Durdin and Lewis Young for the foreseeable future...

Fantasia, Motlop and Durdin are small forwards. Carroll, Binns and Lord are midfielders/wing.
two very different reasons why they are or aren’t getting games
I was generalizing with names of players who were in the side who didn't deserve to be there, and players that did, not suggesting a 1 to 1 replacement.

Yeah. Iggy Pop

iggy pop coffee GIF

I am not fussed we miss on housten. What pisses me off is that he goes to Pies. He and Perryman make them a top 4 side and IMO flag favorites going into next season

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Remember when Taranto and Hopper went to Richmond and people were saying similar things about how good they’re going to be with those additions.
We all know that hasn’t panned out how a lot of people initially thought it would.
Let’s hope the same for Perryman and Houston at the pies.

Surely it won't happen. Surely we are talking (at least internally) about delisting and rerookie-ing someone (Fantasia or C. Durdin) to make the list work.

I have to say, I have very little faith in our list management team. Re-signing Corey Durdin for 2 years in April was pretty daft the day they did it (the other 17 clubs weren't bashing the door down), and even so, it has aged dreadfully. Could no-one foresee the looming list squeeze, even with Cuningham, Marchbank and Martin on the chopping-block? Imagine the world of list-management pain we'd be in, had one of them actually shown something this year...

Perhaps we're fortunate to limit the damage to "just" a 33-goal forward +/- Jack Carroll. On the plus side, we can rest easy knowing that players 30-40 on our senior roster will include Corey Durdin and Lewis Young for the foreseeable future...
So why wouldn't we just re-rookie Owies if we want to go down that path....out of contract and zero interest from any other club, so it aint like we're gonna get gazumped....base wage, match payments and incentives, take it or leave it.

I understand it's frustrating that we aren't bring in any big names but it's not the end of the world.

If we get have a bit of luck with our injuries, more improvement in our bottom 6 players we are a good chance at finishing in the top 4 next year..

I remember (long time ago now) Carlton lost the grand final in 93, and went out in straight sets in 94 after finishing 2nd in the regular season. Most people had written us off as too old and too slow. What did we do that offseason? Nothing massive at all. We Brought in Matt Clape and Glenn Manton who were fringe players at best at their respective teams kept our first round pick (Camporeale) and had some more improvement in players who didn't play a lot the previous year (Pearce, WHitehead etc).

So I guess my point is things can turn around, without bringing in the big name. If we can get more improvement from some of our younger players, have a better fitness program, maybe bring in some young kids with some speed and excitement than it can change pretty quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back