Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Bailey Smith’s management is threatening to walk him to the National draft believing that clubs won’t take him given the depth of the draft. Just posturing of course but I’d throw pick 14 at him for sure.

Me too, we get to see the full remuneration package to make a completely informed decision which is a bonus

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I find the Owies situation very weird - if he had been more selfish out there on the park, he would have kicked 40 goals in 2024.

That would put him top 20 in the AFL....

And we want to kick him out because Motlop and Durdin have more 'talent'? Not to mention Orazio, the Captain's pick list clogger...

That's just stupid.

He doesn't play like those two. He's not getting squeezed out by them.

JSOS is returning from injury and is magnitudes more versatile. Kemp was swung forward, and with Haynes coming across it looks like he may stay there. Moir showed plenty in the last few rounds of the year, and the club want to get games into him. If Walsh and Cerra are fit, Elijah gets less midfield minutes and spends more time ahead of the ball.

Owies is a short third tall forward who wants a few more years and a few more quid because his output the last two years has been decent (not great, just decent). He may get that deal elsewhere, but he's not getting it with us because three players just jumped ahead of him in the queue. Wherever he ends up, I'll wish him all the best - like Casboult, he's been a solid citizen and a really good clubman, but the list moves on.

Firstly, I think we’ve had enough of the cheap pot shots at Fantasia, he’s a Carlton player and he deserves to not be insulted every time he’s mentioned.

Owies had the most output of our small forwards in 2024. He also is 5/6 years older than the others coming through. He has a higher floor but imo a much lower ceiling than all of them.

He plays like a mini key forward for mine. Doesn’t provide a great deal of ground ball pressure, often uses his smarts to find pockets and take marks. It’s a great skill, but given 90% of our entries go to Harry and Charlie, the club clearly feels we can go without his skill set.

If he had a contract I’m sure he’d be staying but he doesn’t so he’s the easiest to move. I don’t think it has any bearing on our success/failure in 2025
Get off your high horse....

I've been no more critical of Fantasia than most here have been of Owies.

Fantasia should never have been picked up - that's pretty hard to argue against....a crazy Vossy decision I gather.

As for Owies' perceived lack of pressure, best you look at other others up there first.

In 2023, Owies was one of the best pressure forwards in the comp.

This year, the whole forward line was poor in that regard (especially without Fogarty), not sure why Owies cops the brunt of it...noting Owies still averaged more tackles than Durdin, Motlop and the same as Williams.

Feel for owies …. And people on this board downplaying his 30 goals a year …. Imagine the ball never going your way and still kicking 30 … good luck to him wherever he goes and hope he kicks 50 next year just not against us !!
He is not Eddie Betts. He won't kick anywhere near 50

He doesn't play like those two. He's not getting squeezed out by them.

JSOS is returning from injury and is magnitudes more versatile. Kemp was swung forward, and with Haynes coming across it looks like he may stay there. Moir showed plenty in the last few rounds of the year, and the club want to get games into him. If Walsh and Cerra are fit, Elijah gets less midfield minutes and spends more time ahead of the ball.

Owies is a short third tall forward who wants a few more years and a few more quid because his output the last two years has been decent (not great, just decent). He may get that deal elsewhere, but he's not getting it with us because three players just jumped ahead of him in the queue. Wherever he ends up, I'll wish him all the best - like Casboult, he's been a solid citizen and a really good clubman, but the list moves on.
Exactly well said. 👍
Been a great servant wish him all the best, I'll miss the way he gives it to the opposition crowd but it's time to move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Royal Blues said 12+ a player for HSTN.

Could Owies be that player?
I’ve always thought Owies would land at GC. I’ve no inside word where he will want to play in 2025 though. Just knew he was not going to be offered a contact and was strong on that like a couple of others esp Soapy V - Wouldn’t surprise me if * get in on the action or the Saints and Melbourne.

the players are not happy owies is leaving and some small forwards remain contracted.

You know what - bad luck. Players need to just focus on putting in each game and being successful with all their team mates. Sick of these players sooking it up, either about the coach, staff or players.

Just play the game - afterall most of our players are really well paid.

We cant keep everyone. We have good players now so we will lose some along the way.

Owies is replaceable and some of the others have a higher ceiling. Moir showed a lot. We have Williams - hopefully maybe only for one more year and then we get rid of that contract. Durdin and Motlop could be anything and if not they go next year too.

We need to turn over the players that dont suit our needs till we find one that does.

People upset about this decision, do you want to continue being middle of the road, or do you support the club trying to get better ? Its as simple as that.

If they did nothing and kept everyone you wouldnt be happy.

I for one thought Owies was a good ordinary player. But wasnt a crumber, didnt chase, didnt tackle much. But was good for being in the right place at the right time to take a mark and kick a goal.

But Moir, Williams and Durdin can do the same. We need to put time into these guys. We often took the easy way out and played someone like Owies because it was convenient, rather than take the risk of playing someone one Moir.

Unforunately Fantasia is contracted, otherwise we need to get rid of him too.

Completely fair enough.

I look forward to scanning the disposals list after games next year, heading straight to the bottom and checking if Durdin managed four touches or five.
Durdin is 22 and has 5 more seasons to pass Owies 9 possessions a game. Give it at least a couple of years 👍

the players are not happy owies is leaving and some small forwards remain contracted.
Not surprised, he bleeds blue does Owies

I think Moir is the best lead up option we’ve had since Fevola (huge wraps I know, but Walker, Betts, Charlie and H aren’t really lead up forwards) and Owies plays more like a lead up forward than a small, and has a lower ceiling than Moir based on Ashton’s mercurial junior footy (and his electric performances as a sub in the AFL without H or Charlie to take the best defender)

It’s really unfortunate to see him go, I think ultimately we are better off without him but he has been a very good contributor and has worn his heart on his sleeve for the team

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back