Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

Just tell us if SkyhorseTamer put u up to that post? 😂
There was a rather lengthy debate about this at lunch - crux of it is 32 is a dead pick as it gets eaten by points so is of zero gain

Fair enough. No idea who that is to be honest. Just shared my thoughts on it.

If lower works, great.

Nothing about Kemp keen to go.

Nothing so overt, but it wasn't a resounding "he has no interest in moving".

"The clubs are talking" and "Kempy may have a decision to make soon, but at the moment he doesn't" says to me that he'd potentially be open to a move if Carlton decide the trade is one that benefits us. He's keeping his options open, while sticking to the "he's happy at the club" party line so that it's not perceived as him trying to jump ship.

I reckon this was SOS's hope and intention. Even if the trade doesn't eventuate this year, the fact that we haven't immediately knocked it on the head effectively says to Kemp that the club are open to trading him. That in turn means that the Saints, and any other club for that matter, can get in his ear from now until the end of next season saying "Hey, we'd love to have you, we know Carlton didn't trade you last year but they were clearly open to it....maybe they aren't as committed to you as you think".

On that basis, trading him this year might be the smarter play...if we can get St Kilda to pony up something tasty. If we end up deciding that the offer's not good enough, you can bet your arse they'll come knocking again in 12 months when his contract is up, and we're gonna have less leverage then.

"The clubs are talking" and "Kempy may have a decision to make soon, but at the moment he doesn't" says to me that he'd potentially be open to a move if Carlton decide the trade is one that benefits us. He's keeping his options open, while sticking to the "he's happy at the club" party line so that it's not perceived as him trying to jump ship.

I reckon this was SOS's hope and intention. Even if the trade doesn't eventuate this year, the fact that we haven't immediately knocked it on the head effectively says to Kemp that the club are open to trading him. That in turn means that the Saints, and any other club for that matter, can get in his ear from now until the end of next season saying "Hey, we'd love to have you, we know Carlton didn't trade you last year but they were clearly open to it....maybe they aren't as committed to you as you think".

On that basis, trading him this year might be the smarter play...if we can get St Kilda to pony up something tasty. If we end up deciding that the offer's not good enough, you can bet your arse they'll come knocking again in 12 months when his contract is up, and we're gonna have less leverage then.
Or he’s keeping it open because of an increased offer (and commision)

I'm not saying we approached DGB to replace Kemp, I'm saying that if we're taking DGB then perhaps that's why we've be willing to listen to the offer that has come in instead of dismissing it.

My gut feel (off 0 intel) is we like Kemp as a player but don't know where he fits.

3rd back is his best spot but we have McGovern and now Haynes we rate higher. As 2nd KPD we could be losing trust in him and I'm not sure him playing as the 3rd forward fits our structure.

We might figure that he likely spends 2025 on the fringes of our team in which case we lose him at the end of the year for next to nothing. On the off chance he locks down a spot we could still lose him as he'll be down the pecking order contract wise and somebody will offer more.

So cash in now while we can and free up a list spot.

Not saying I agree but that's my hypothesis on the logic of Austin if they trade him.

The risk is even if we see him as on the fringes he is great depth in several positions. Only need a few injuries and his presence will be sorely missed. That security makes it worth keeping him even if we lose him for less at the end of the year.

32 could be a good pick for use on Ben Camp.

I think he will be a good player for us. Footballer he most admires is Cripps. Just imagine what he can achieve learning from his favourite.
Nah, we are skipping on Ben now as we currently don’t have any picks in/ near the 30s. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade Period - Day 1 to 9...

Tired Season 10 GIF by One Chicago

Day10...
Tired Monday GIF

He worth significantly more as a premiership player who’s kicked 2 & then plugged a hole in the backline late in the GF

I've got to be honest and say if we could turn Kennedy/Kemp into a pick that would give us a genuine shot at a Trainor (if he slides)/Whitlock/O'Farrell genuine KPD without jeopardising the comp picks I would do it. Would round our list off nicely.

I understand the angst that it would cause on here though.

I must have missed something. Funny regardless. :tearsofjoy:

Basically, we’re using the points from later picks (our picks in the 60s etc) for Ben C.

However if we have pick 32 and another club wants to take Ben C at pick 29 then we have to use pick 32 for the points as it’s our next available pick and we can’t use it on another player - which means the later picks effectively go to waste

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sam Edmund on SEN: "Aints have offered future 2nd rounder for Kemp; They aren't going to budge on that. Carlton have said fine, we'll leave it"
Language is amazing “they aren’t going to budge on that”

Ok SOS? You’re the one that is trying to pry him out, why would we accept your first dumb offer?

Sam Edmund on SEN: "Aints have offered future 2nd rounder for Kemp; They aren't going to budge on that. Carlton have said fine, we'll leave it"
God SOS is a tit. He must've known that we'd say no.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back