Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess it depends on how you rate the next few picks.

BTW, hardly anyone mentions Langford or Reid as likely top 3 or 4, and I'm wondering why?
Cal Twomey has rated them at 2 & 5 respectively, which when you take Ashcroft out as #1, makes them 1 & 4.

Langford has very good ball use but he's not quick so I guess that's going to count him out.
Not quick

Draper's handballing is elite. Very much like Greg Williams, he doesn't handball to players, he handballs to where they need to go. Not many have this vision. This type of skill makes fellow midfielders look even better than they are because they are sent in the right directions and have two or three metres on their opponent and are off. Those types of clearances are gold, lifts the whole team.

SEN today saying that the Tiggs could be looking at moving up the draft. Potentially they could jag Lalor and Smith (who played VFL for them) with pick 1 and 3.

Would we entertain trading pick 3 for pick 6 and 10/11? Pick 38 then gets traded back to 2025.
I personally wouldn't. We paid a lot to get up to the pointy end to take one of four players who have "best player in the draft" potential - Jagga, FOS, Lalor or Draper. I wouldn't want to risk ending up with a Langford (generic) or Smilie (too similar to Cripps)

Not sure if its been mentioned before but hearing Carlton really interested in Ned McHenry.

I feel quite good about it too, but it’s going to be a bloody strong top 8 next year. Far stronger than this year imo.

Whichever team wins they’ll certainly have earnt it. We absolutely should be in the conversation, but so many good teams to get past.

Lions would have been clear favourites if not for JD retiring, so that’s handy (though still favs for sure), but feel Dockers are going to be right up there… Giants, Cats, Swans, Blues, Dogs .. Pies, Hawks, Port, Demons …. Bloody hell - a lot of powerful teams there.

There are going to be some serious spankings of the lower teams I think.

Could be a bit of a joke with Tigers and Eagles potentially really shaping the final make-up of the 8 depending on which teams get to play them twice.
TBH I think a few teams will crash and burn - well maybe not crash but take a nose-dive;

From this year's Top 8, I feel Sydney and Port will go on a downward spiral, Geelong, Brisbane, Dogs, will be around the mark again, and I think Hawks, GWS & Us will be the big improvers. Pies will possibly come back up but I'm only 50/50 on that.

I think Suns will be the biggest movers outside the 8 (into the 8).

there is a camp that thinks we should've traded 12 and change for houston and kept 14 and then theres a camp that think we are A+ this period.... It's always a depends who you ask situation with draft winners....
Trade period of any given year should not be rated for at least 3 years afterwards… but who cares about facts and truth, it’s all about hype, fads, fashion, propoganda and bullshit (different words same meaning)

We will get an accurate gauge by 2027 of this year trade, maybe 2028.

Most likely scenario must be that we request permission to trade F2 and then package with 38 to get into the 20s.

From next year, clubs can trade two years in advance as well, so we’ll be able to sort things out for Walker etc.

Im very glad that Kemp is staying and i think Austin has done a good job, we really need to try and engineer a way to make sure we get another pick in before Ben but other than trading down 1-2 spots, I’m unsure how.

Now we just need to nail the pick.
what pick would be ideal and could it be done

They used McHenry as sub a lot.
Fwd pocket - Right footer but kinda fisher vibes about him.. short same size ish..
Could easily just become another small not doing much ..
Ranked no.1 in tackles for vic country, would be fitting to bring in a player like that considering that was one of the reasons they didn't rate owies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH I think a few teams will crash and burn - well maybe not crash but take a nose-dive;

From this year's Top 8, I feel Sydney and Port will go on a downward spiral, Geelong, Brisbane, Dogs, will be around the mark again, and I think Hawks, GWS & Us will be the big improvers. Pies will possibly come back up but I'm only 50/50 on that.

I think Suns will be the biggest movers outside the 8 (into the 8).

It may well happen, though I’d be very reluctant to predict a Swans dive. Port I could see but that midfield surely won’t miss the 8.

Regardless, the top 6 - 8 is super strong. Mostly young teams, or with some crucial young players who will all naturally improve … then the trades where Cats have added Smith, Giants add Stringer, Dockers add Bolton, we add pick 3, Lions add Ashcroft and Marshall (on top of an already ridiculous list/returning players from injury - eg, Coleman).

Just feels far higher quality than this season to me when taking into account age/experience, trades and draft picks.

If we can’t trade pick 38 before there’s a bid on Ben Camporeale we could also instead try to absorb it with Pick 38 and move up our other picks too.

Pick 38 (after other bids let’s say its pick 36) could be worth about 502 points
Picks 63, 68, 69 and 72 (after other bids let’s say that all move up 6 spots) could be worth about 497 points

If SOS bids on BC at pick 32 then we would need to pay up about 406 points

So in theory if we matched with Pick 38 we would have 96 points leftover which would give us Pick 65 - which again if moved up about 6 spots would give us the equivalent of 159 points. So we would have 497 + 159 left over which would be the equivalent of Pick 29. Clubs always pay a premium for a higher pick so we wouldn’t get anything as high as Pick 38 but arguably we could get someone who needs points to trade Pick 40 to us for our lower picks.

Which other clubs have to match?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

36 as the nominating club gets the next pick.

Lions have two players, Gold Coast one, and Essendon one. 4 picks are before ours. Our pick will stay the same.

I think North will trade pick 2

I wouldn't be surprised. They have an eye on a couple of later pick players like Trainor / Trevaglia / Tauru right?

Richmond picking up 8 or 9 kids all at once would be high risk. Very hard to accommodate that many 18 year olds in an AFL team at once and any that aren't getting a regular game after 1 or 2 years will get picked off.

Should at least be throwing 10+11 or 6+11 at pick 2 or 3. See who jumps first out of us / norf. Curley would be impersonating Kevin Costner if he turned 12+14 into 6+11.

Most likely outcome is we stick to pick 3 at this stage though.

Draper - could be Paddy Dangerfield, could be Paddy Dow 😬😬
If you want Dangerfield, that's probably Smillie.
Could be Chris Judd.
Hynes and Hotton combined would have a chance. :p
Not sure if its been mentioned before but hearing Carlton really interested in Ned McHenry.
Mean sidestep and loves to run direct with the ball, but not sure if he's that interesting for our list. Gotta wonder why Adelaide never trailed him in defence.

I wouldn't be surprised. They have an eye on a couple of later pick players like Trainor / Trevaglia / Tauru right?

Richmond picking up 8 or 9 kids all at once would be high risk. Very hard to accommodate that many 18 year olds in an AFL team at once and any that aren't getting a regular game after 1 or 2 years will get picked off.

Should at least be throwing 10+11 or 6+11 at pick 2 or 3. See who jumps first out of us / norf. Curley would be impersonating Kevin Costner if he turned 12+14 into 6+11.

Most likely outcome is we stick to pick 3 at this stage though.
Keep in mind the Tigers just lost Martin, Grimes, Naismith, Pickett, Graham, Baker, Bolton, and Rioli. That's a lot of top end talent in one go, so there's plenty of opportunity.

They have some contested guys who will hold things together for a bunch of younger mids and mid/forwards, and they have some tall talent at either end as well as a trusted senior ruck.

Richmond can pick a swag of talent and can switch between those and role players in 2025 as everyone learns to gel. 2026 might be huge for them.

Keep in mind the Tigers just lost Martin, Grimes, Naismith, Pickett, Graham, Baker, Bolton, and Rioli. That's a lot of top end talent in one go, so there's plenty of opportunity.

They have some contested guys who will hold things together for a bunch of younger mids and mid/forwards, and they have some tall talent at either end as well as a trusted senior ruck.

Richmond can pick a swag of talent and can switch between those and role players in 2025 as everyone learns to gel. 2026 might be huge for them.

Agreed - there's plenty of spots opening up but I guarantee there won't be 8 or 9 19 year olds in their best 22 in 2025-26. Guys with more AFL ready bodies will still keep them out of the team. It's how we lost Grigg.

Scary thing for them is they haven't finished bottoming out yet. Prestia / Nank / Lynch / Vlaustin / Mcintosh/ Broad all nearing drop-off / retirement years. I'd be targeting Jayden Short for next off-season. Underrated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back