Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

[/QUOTE
Really don't care about any other teams mate.
Am only going on what it looks like for us to me.
But I am no expert.
Time alone will tell is its a good idea or not.

It seems we cant afford to pay two draftees..only the one... :D
Draftees from 1 - 20 earn $105,000. We can afford 3 draftees (at least) by including Owies in the deal.

We have decided to lay it all on the line and go for a game changer this year and in 2 years (Walker) and back that our list gets healthy and that Lord, Moir, Binns, Ben and Lucas can prove that they are AFL quality.

I absolutely love the strategy. Of course there are risks involved. I believe that with good coaching and an average injury run we have the capacity to challenge. I think that this move extends that capacity to 4 - 5 years. I fully understand that others might not agree though.

We all have different opinions about the draft choice, however one thing that's impressive is Austin's ability to get what he wants. He obviously had a player he's targeting with pick 3 and stuck to the plan.

Kudos to him 👏

There was chat about Austin wanting to move up to take Sheezel in 2022 - perhaps he lost the argument that year, but now has the keys after this year's regression under Voss?

I've only seen minimal highlights of Smith, Draper and O'Sullivan.

Draper was the stand out by far. Explosive speed from the contest, good vision, strong-bodied.

Smith looked like a smaller-bodied Draper, with less speed and less strength.

O'Sullivan was the least impressive out of the 3. He took some decent marks and has a decent kick.

Can anyone fill me in on why we would take O'Sullivan over Draper?

Finn O'Sullivan

O'Sullivan recorded a 2.989 second 20m sprint, 8.152 seconds in the agility test and on Friday ran the 2km time trial in 6:28 minutes, placing him in the top dozen prospects across the three events.

Not to mention he finished second in the running vertical leap. This is important in making him a viable half forward in his formative years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Seems like many are pleased if we get 3 and lose 12 14 and Owies.
To me that seems like us being done over.

Feel free to try and convince me otherwise.

Don't think it will be possible to convince you...

Reality is, all draft picks are hit and miss. Pick 3 just gives you a better chance at getting a superstar, but only one bite at the cherry. 12 + 14 are two bites at the cherry, but less chance of either being a superstar.

12 could be the next Charlie Curnow and 3 could be the next Dow...

Or 3 could be the next Dusty and 12 the next Kane Lucas...

So Carlton traded for the pick people thought Hawthorn would use in the Tom Barrass deal and went to West Coast and used it in the deal to get pick 3 off them 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 3 for petracca?

vomit GIF

I don't dislike O'Sullivan, but I do wonder if he provides enough of a point of difference given we've already got Walsh and Cerra for the next ~8 years.

I think if we're taking a top 3 mid, the expectation will generally be that they play most of their first season. To make room in the middle, alongside Cripps, Walsh and a fit-again Cerra, it's probably Hewett that makes way. I reckon Cerra then takes the Hewett role, defensive-leaning mid but with the ability to make his kicks count when he gets them. To balance that group, you don't want another middling pace midfielder does everything to a good standard but lacks a genuine weapon - you want a bloke who can either tuck the ball under his arm and break the lines, or a bloke who can hold position outside the contest, be fed the ball by our more mature mids, and then hit leading targets for fun.

Finn O'Sullivan

O'Sullivan recorded a 2.989 second 20m sprint, 8.152 seconds in the agility test and on Friday ran the 2km time trial in 6:28 minutes, placing him in the top dozen prospects across the three events.
we don't need any more onballers...our priority is a key big defender (two would be great) ...hope his disposal is better than his cousins cause he costs us with his woeful disposal.

Draftees from 1 - 20 earn $105,000. We can afford 3 draftees (at least) by including Owies in the deal.

We have decided to lay it all on the line and go for a game changer this year and in 2 years (Walker) and back that our list gets healthy and that Lord, Moir, Binns, Ben and Lucas can prove that they are AFL quality.

I absolutely love the strategy. Of course there are risks involved. I believe that with good coaching and an average injury run we have the capacity to challenge. I think that this move extends that capacity to 4 - 5 years. I fully understand that others might not agree though.

Risk involved with any strategy... imagine 12 + 14 players turn out to be duds while 3 ends up being a superstar. Same thing could happen the other way around too...

No way of knowing.

Having a midfield mix of Lalor/Draper/Smith/FOS + Walker + Cripps + Walsh + Cerra + B.Campo is a very exciting prospect. Bold move by the club, gotta take risks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back