Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 National Draft discussion belongs in this thread:-

Thanks all!

I would not care about height for midfielders now. Tall midfielders became desirable in the early 2000s, not because being tall is an advantage, it's not, it's because teams began to use zone defence. The more taller players you have in a zone, the better it works was the theory. It's mostly based around that.

During the rolling maul years with huge numbers around the ball, the player getting first hands on the ball was often tackled so being big tall and strong helped a little getting the arms free and a handball away. There's less numbers around the ball and more space on the outside so this is not so important.

Shorter mids are coming back into fashion because of their agility and closing speed. Their ability to chase and run down often being better as well as being able to sidestep and weave throught traffic. These qualities are what we lack.

Speed, agility and a good ability to chase and rundown opposition players as well as being a great natural footballer is who we need to select at number 3. A good all rounder. Height is not important.

I would not care about height for midfielders now. Tall midfielders became desirable in the early 2000s, not because being tall is an advantage, it's not, it's because teams began to use zone defence. The more taller players you have in a zone, the better it works was the theory. It's mostly based around that.

During the rolling maul years with huge numbers around the ball, the player getting first hands on the ball was often tackled so being big tall and strong helped a little getting the arms free and a handball away. There's less numbers around the ball and more space on the outside so this is not so important.

Shorter mids are coming back into fashion because of their agility and closing speed. Their ability to chase and run down often being better as well as being able to sidestep and weave throught traffic. These qualities are what we lack.

Speed, agility and a good ability to chase and rundown opposition players as well as being a great natural footballer is who we need to select at number 3. A good all rounder. Height is not important.
Agreed, and we have a tall midfielder in Cripps who's tall enough for the whole midfield lol

Small mids are fine as long as they are not slow and/or lightly built. Why SPS and Fisher weren't able to make it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you use pick 3 on Draper, a SA kid with the Crows in his ear for the entire term of his first contract?

Yes. There is a long history between Carlton and SA players that they are in it for the long haul.

I am less worried about the “go home” factor with players from SA than I am with players from anywhere else.

Sps wasn't slow. His hamstrings died and then he became slow. Wasn't an incorrect draft choice. Was an unlucky one.
He had a ripper game or two that showed his potential. Unfortunately never worked out.

One would be happy with anyone of O'Sullivan, Smith, Lalor or Draper at our pick.
Agree, all look likely types. But to me the one we draft needs to add that missing piece to our midfield - speed and elite foot skills. It may be unreasonable to expect a draftee to be elite by foot, but IMO speed is a non-negotiable. Anyone watching our team can tell, we have zero spread and very limited defensive running. Need someone in the Warner mould, with line-breaking quickness.
No matter how good they are, if we draft another extracting bull midfielder it will be negligent list management.

Agree, all look likely types. But to me the one we draft needs to add that missing piece to our midfield - speed and elite foot skills. It may be unreasonable to expect a draftee to be elite by foot, but IMO speed is a non-negotiable. Anyone watching our team can tell, we have zero spread and very limited defensive running. Need someone in the Warner mould, with line-breaking quickness.
No matter how good they are, if we draft another extracting bull midfielder it will be negligent list management.
Spot on mate! It’s a must point of difference

Don’t remember him having hamstring issues whilst with us?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It was some constant issue. Not traditional hammy tearing but like a chronic weakness caused by something. Forget the exact medical words. Could also be complete bullshit but was told by a club dr related to me. 👍

SPS also had no tank and struggled to find the ball even as a junior. Those 2 issues plus his slight body size meant it was always going to be an uphill battle for him to make it as an AFL mid and he didn't have the tricks to be a forward. Halfback probably his best chance given his ball use, but he was a neat kick more than a particularly damaging one.

Small mids are fine as long as they are not slow and/or lightly built. Why SPS and Fisher weren't able to make it
I agree. Sam Mitchell, Lachie Neale, Tom Mitchell, Jack Viney, Dion Prestia, Greg Williams. There is room in our side for a shorter midfielder of this calibre that is for sure. SPS and Fisher simply not strong enough or hard enough at the contest. The direction given to list management has not been clear enough and good enough in the past when selecting onballers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back