Bluemour Melting Pot XXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't ignored a single person in my 7 years here but I must admit I've been seriously tempted lately. I get close every trade period and when reading autopsy threads during the season.
Best to pull back a bit mate and laugh at the stupidity from the would be Carlton recruiters.

Okay so we got - Saad, Fogarty (21 yo contracted player), #38, #48, #78
And we gave up - #8, #30, #51, #87.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:
What are people's thoughts on this?

Overall.

Downgrade of our second and upgrade of our third and fourth probably balance out. Difficult to judge accurately til after the draft, as these picks will all move a fair bit.

Pretty much makes it 8 for Saad and Fogarty.

Assuming Saad does what we expect, Fogarty determines the value assessment.

If Fog ends up another Smedts or Sumner - no impact - it's a poor result.

If Fog ends up another Kennedy or Lang - not a senior fixture, but good depth - it's breakeven.

If Fog ends up another Setterfield or Plowman - regular best 22 contributor - it's an incredible haul.

Do you reckon the club was happy to pay overs (slight i might add) for Saad given Doc? No Simpson and potentially doc for 2021 would have concerned the club presumably.
Nothing to suggest from the statement that Doc won't be right to go round 1, got it early. Robbie Gray had similar last year in the preseason and was good to go round 1.

Overall.

Downgrade of our second and upgrade of our third and fourth probably balance out. Difficult to judge accurately til after the draft, as these picks will all move a fair bit.

Pretty much makes it 8 for Saad and Fogarty.

Assuming Saad does what we expect, Fogarty determines the value assessment.

If Fog ends up another Smedts or Sumner - no impact - it's a poor result.

If Fog ends up another Kennedy or Lang - not a senior fixture, but good depth - it's breakeven.

If Fog ends up another Setterfield or Plowman - regular best 22 contributor - it's an incredible haul.

Given he’s played 22 odd games for the Cats at 21 years of age I reckon he’s a lock as a useful depth player. Hopefully he learns some new tricks from Eddie and plays in our next flag.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just watched Tez and Pommie Dan on the latest Blue Abroad show and can't decide who's the biggest get for us: Saad or Williams. Whoever it is we have got 2 absolute rippers into our starting 18! Have a genuine feeling other clubs will actually start to fear us again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 50 at best

We'd hang up if they offered 50. Not even worth dignifying with a "**** off".

Working on the assumption that Collingwood have identified him as a genuine target - not steak knives - I think a very late first or early second would be the going rate. Pick 10, few years development, contracted, no notable injury concerns. He's not gone up in value, but he hasn't depreciated much if a club comes after him.

And in this draft, I think it's clear that many clubs are putting a lower value on draft picks.

If the Pies ask for him, I think 16 is the starting point and we balance it with a later pick or some salary relief if necessary.

We got what we wanted, Saad. Not bent over. We paid overs but, we got what we needed. Not wanted, needed. We chased, we pay. I get the OOC stuff but that is the system. Until OOC players are free agents in the truest sense (unlikely to happen) these situations will continue. Would you want a first for Doc?
I’m not overly unhappy with the outcome or Austin per say. But I think it’s important to be honest in summing up our performance. AFL draft and trading is part of our game’s competitive environment. We paid overs. We could have handled the trade differently and performed better; importantly it’s reasonably likely that with SOS at the helm we would have performed better than we did. The bloke who Jake Niall referred to as holding a Richmond passport publicly underpinned his decision to replace SOS on the need to improve LM efficiency; and by consequence performance. That hasn’t been the case; he was wrong.

Now we move on

Last edited:
I don't want to labor on the point because the deal is done but the news coming out on Trade Radio & Fox Trading Day say Essendon will trade pick 8 to Collingwood (who are supposedly desperate to get into the top 10) for pick 16 & next years first rounder. Surely not!
I can’t see that being true. We would have explored that option if true, if not Austin needs the sack

Given he’s played 22 odd games for the Cats at 21 years of age I reckon he’s a lock as a useful depth player. Hopefully he learns some new tricks from Eddie and plays in our next flag.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reckon the only thing that potentially stops that eventuating is his body.

Seems to have the ability and the attitude, so if he can stay fit he'll give it a fair shake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back