Bluemour Season Blast Off Edition XXXIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s pretty insane, 26 is still prime as an AFL footballer. They are going a HARD rebuild if this is true.

If a Mitchell type in terms of quality was being thrown away/they pay part of the salary, I would say we need to do some due diligence on it. But for the most part I don’t see us getting involved. Freo look like they’re going to be the busy ones for the rest of the period.
Just means they're giving Mitchell time and excuses. Reckon he should have taken the Pies gig and moved across later.

Hmm would love to know more about this.

Assuming channel 7 were right that 6 stars took pay cuts, does that mean we approached 7 and 1 refused?

Interested to know how this came about...approaching only 7 players to take pay cuts. Could this cause divisions in the team?

Williams is probably our most overpaid player but can we really offer him a big contract to join us then ask to take a cut? Probably not.

And yeah the fact we need to in order to fit in Cerra suggests our cap is tight.
I heard that the whole list was asked and one refused.
My guess is it might have been Martin, purely because he took a decent hit with the COVID cuts while his deal was in it's heavily front loaded stage. Purely speculation though.

TBF, if you take off the blue tinted glasses for a moment, the truth is his value is not that high at all. Charlie's I mean.

True, but it's one of those scenarios where accepting a shit pick would be unthinkable when you've gone through all the rehab with him and are about to reap some rewards. Only reason you'd accept a second for Charlie (or Sicily) would be if you knew without a doubt that they were cooked.

LOB has signed a 1 year extension great bloody news!

Interesting we have re-signed so many players to only 1 year contracts. Good for the club.

Players taking pay cuts.

The Williams $800k deal over 6 years seems like a real outlier as a long contract where we are overpaying.

Given we are apparently paying Cerra around $600k for 4 years, I wonder if the review has identified we need to change our approach and get our player payments down.

How good is it to not have to wait for our important trades to come down to the last few days?

With all our trades done, we can now relax and look forward to the ND and 2022 :D

Last edited:
Carlton out: future1st, 25. In: 15 Tigs 21hawks future 3rdtigs
Tigs out: 7, 15 future3rd in T Mitchell Carl future 1st 25Carl
Hawks out: 21 T Mitchell in: 7Tigs
Something like this could work for all.
Austin said on trade radio he happy to start at 25 and plans to hit the draft next year -- whether that is to be believed or

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are you comparing midfields?

Which Geelong midfielder in your opinion is better than either Mitchell or Walsh? Which two mids at GWS are better than those two or which GWS mid is better than Walsh?

Mitchell and Walsh both finished higher in the Brownlow than Petracca.

Im not sure why people underestimate Mitchell, he’s a multiple AA, best and fairest winner and Brownlow medalist.

Even the Dogs midfield, which everyone says is the deepest, you have Bont who is better than both, but their second best mid, isn’t better than either Walsh or Mitchell.

All of this talk is leaving out Cripps, who has been poor, but is a multiple beat and fairest winner and AA

Why wouldn't you want to add a Brownlow medalist to your team? Would prefer JOM personally, but would absolutely take Mitchell. Madness not to if the opportunity is there.

On paper there probably aren't too many better midfielder but I really don't think trading for a 29 year old in expense for a young midfielder when we're not in a window

On SM-N986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would argue adding Cerra, Hewett and Mitchell to our midfield gets us a hell of a lot closer to the window.

Wingard is much better than Fisher. (currently)......not similar.
Wingard has his faults that's for sure, the thing with him is that he's a genuine match winner. I believe we really only have one atm, that's Charlie Curnow. Big H is to some extent but I see him more of a steady player you can rely on more and more by doing his job. Curnow and Wingard are the type of players that trigger big momentum swings. When they're on they are impossible to stop.

I wouldn't say no to Wingard for a 2nd rounder.

I’m certain Nick will be looking at at least 1 more trade or perhaps re entering 1st round? We have a serious list review on going and probably 6 to 8 changes still over the next couple of seasons.
5pm interview today he suggested we're done.

I think we've got the talent there now especially with this year's inclusions & and a bit of luck with injuries.... The whole thing is going to be predicated on the ''buy-in'' & in the culture of the group... In 1968 players we're not the most talented group but Barassi drove the culture and the players played for him and or each other and trained relentlessly... Barassi drove the culture and 2 more premierships[ although John Nicholls coached his team in 1972] the momentum was already up and running and the players took ownership of the culture going forward

from there each of the elders have passed on the culture of winning & the standards
was passed down > resulting in = premierships in 1979 & 1987 it was again not the best side in terms of Talent but they had never trained harder and the players ''bought in'' and always on the back of great leadership on the ground with Fitzpatrick [Jezza trained them relentlessly]in 79 and Kernahan 87[ Robert Walls trained them like a madman (ala Barassi)] = MAGNIFICENT CAPTAINS/ inspirational coaches who were hard and demanding

1995 was an exception because they're all champions and the checkbook[ brown paper bags too] got us the best talent from all over Australia... Anybody could have coached that team

I think we've got the tools in place now[ like the additions this off-season]... So it's up to Voss/ the leadership group and a bit of luck through injury and illness to set the course. They really have to get harder & Hewett/Cerra/Walsh/Cripps/Weiters etc will transform this enough IMHO...WE HAVE THE TALENT NOW FOR SURE!.... We need a bit of momentum & beating Richmond in the first round of 2022 would be the place to start.... We need to put wins on the board and keep building on that momentum [ understanding there will be slip-ups but not relenting on the standards]
Thanks Jezza. Really appreciate your view mate.

That's interesting and great to see from a player behaviour/ buy in point of view to get another quality player in.

I've thought our salary cap was tight, but I'm surprised it has come to this already!

Now how are we going to deal with Walsh next year :eek:
Hopefully, we'll go deep into the 2022 finals and convince the existing players to take another cut to keep the best player in the list and the band together - for a real crack in 2023 :D

There are a dozen players out of contract at the end of next season. It won't be a problem.

We had room for 1-2 good players. We traded in 3.

If Young is earning league average salaru then we're overpaying for potential.

Yup spot on agree , until the old magic returns , very awkward assessment, not only Charlie, Cunners, Marchy and Doc too all in the same boat.

I think these guys, and a few others that are supporter favourites here, are living off limited glimpses of their best, rather than their actual output to date. For one reason or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back