Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eerily quiet on the pick movement front but we do have another day plus the period up to the draft for pick swap, if that's still a thing.
Don't think we will be able to get as high as we need for the player we wanted. A trade would be dependant on getting a F3 back, but with North now having 2 and 3 they will take Sheezel.

I actually find our quiet trade period refreshing.

We don't have the space for another highly rated star, we need foot soldiers who can play a role and young draftees to develop so they are ready in 3 years to replace the current group in the mid-late 20s. That is the key for me, nailing the next 3 drafts, finding 6 AFL quality youngsters to revitalise the list in time.

I would not be against splitting our pick 10 (plus 29) to get 2 in the teens to target guys like Hayes, Horton, Hewett and develop them.
Ha develop them...lol

Don't think we will be able to get as high as we need for the player we wanted. A trade would be dependant on getting a F3 back, but with North now having 2 and 3 they will take Sheezel.
Can’t blame them really.

Awesome opportunity to add a couple of really good prospects who play completely different roles.

We can still land Humphries, but think we look to grab the best midfielder available, and that could be Phillipou, Hollands, Hewett etc.

Crazy how many of our supporters must have Shezzaly, at all costs, after first hearing about him two days ago.
Harry Sheezel is not the next new toy, he’s been a talented youngster all along.
I just hope ,Nick is astute and lucky enough to snaffle a few youngsters based on sound fundamentals, skilled footballer with good IQ all rest is media hype.

You have to wonder at what point does the AFL have to say enough is enough and cut the chord altogether with these expansion clubs.

GWS’s golden generation are now largely gone and they don’t have anything to show for it. They simply cannot retain players and they can only attract soon to be retirees or troubled last chance to be an AFL footballer types.

As for Gold Coast if the Ginga Ninja and his best mate Ando don’t renew their contracts next year then that’ll be two failed heavily AFL assisted list builds in the space of 15 years without so much as a finals appearance to hang their hat on.

One can only think this will also be what happens to the Tassie team when they come in as no young gun footballer is gonna want to play (and more importantly “live”) down there no matter how much money they are paid.

Gold Coast and GWS will be worth the long and costly investment once they regularly start producing good kids from their region/catchment areas, even if it takes another 10-20 Years and increase the draft talent pool

This is the reason why I am not keen on a Tassie team, small population (ish) and have not really produced any decent young draft talent in the past 10 years.

Also those teams have brought in extra revenue with 2 extra games each weekend.

I actually find our quiet trade period refreshing.

We don't have the space for another highly rated star, we need foot soldiers who can play a role and young draftees to develop so they are ready in 3 years to replace the current group in the mid-late 20s. That is the key for me, nailing the next 3 drafts, finding 6 AFL quality youngsters to revitalise the list in time.

I would not be against splitting our pick 10 (plus 29) to get 2 in the teens to target guys like Hayes, Hotton, Hewett and develop them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crazy how many of our supporters must have Shezzaly, at all costs, after first hearing about him two days ago.
Yep.. he goes alright but he's no Albert Proud or Serhat Temel..

Gold Coast and GWS will be worth the long and costly investment once they regularly start producing good kids from their region/catchment areas, even if it takes another 10-20 Years and increase the draft talent pool

This is the reason why I am not keen on a Tassie team, small population (ish) and have not really produced any decent young draft talent in the past 10 years.

That is because the AFL give them very little funding or support - even at the kids Auskick level, despite it being a traditional AFL state. They are happy to let clubs pillage the State for a free hit at getting draft talent but don't invest in developing the grassroots talent.

Personally I think as soon as the new CEO is picked - so long as it isn’t another Demetriou sycophant worries about covering his tracks - they should end this expansion disaster.

Personally I think as soon as the new CEO is picked - so long as it isn’t another Demetriou sycophant worries about covering his tracks - they should end this expansion disaster.
The problems the expansion clubs have in traditionally non footy playing states is player retention no matter how expert the administration or coaching team are, its just ain’t gonna work, not until well over 5 years at lest. its an extremely long haul.
Until they develop a reasonable supporter base more awareness of the game state level, a good size youth pool with passion for the game, this obviously
needs many years of development and massive funding.

Last edited:
Harry Sheezel is not the next new toy, he’s been a talented youngster all along.
I just hope ,Nick is astute and lucky enough to snaffle a few youngsters based on sound fundamentals, skilled footballer with good IQ all rest is media hype.
And follow the no dickhead policy (like Jake stringer)

Including upgrading owies onto senior list we have 4x Senior spots and 1x rookie spot...
It's been talked about that we are looking at putting Ed onto the rookie spot, which would give us 5x senior list spots
Nope - 4 spots across senior/rookie, plus one Cat-B rookie spot.

I know it’s shooting Bambi- but if we want to move up/get extra picks.
Fish & 10 to West Coast - 8 & 20 back, 20 & 29 for early teens (& maybe a little of something late/future) pick back?
Am prepared to be be smashed for this- just spit balling

For the love of God PLEASE stop with the Fish trade.Best 18 ALL day EVERYDAY not even if his worth more now than he ever was.Please spitball others.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

GWS is losing the battle in the west. Penrith is dominating in popularity and junior participation. I think they'd be better focusing more on the Canberra region, at least there is a strong interest down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back