Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I reckon Ruckmen are like toilets. They are important - a critical part of your team structure.

If you don't have a functional one, you are in real trouble. Things are going to get shitty fast.

Ideally, you have a good one that is sturdy and durable, and a good backup too. Maybe a third just in case... you never know when bad luck will strike.

But there really isn't much difference between a mid tier and an expensive one, and you really only start notice the upgrade once you get into the super expensive territory. And sure, it's nice to have the million dollar version, but when you think about the type of physical punishment it is going to take it is probably better value to spend your money elsewhere.

Our stocks - i reckon Pitto is a solid bunnings toilet that has been badly installed. He gives pretty good service but breaks down surprisingly more than you would expect.

TDK is one of those asian squat toilets. They look kind of fancy and everyone raves about them but i dunno, i just don't see it yet.

Beyond that stocks are pretty thin, and it really gets obvious when the people around the ruck are getting desperate. If all was well i think we would be ok with Pitto but given the sickness running through the club he's copping more negative attention than deserved (and two weeks ago was a bad timw to get broken down)
So what is the JSOS model. A bucket at the campsite?

Seems the consensus is that Gov is on 800k. So if we take that 900k, then when Gov leaves we'll have $1.1M free in the salary cap just from Gov going elsewhere.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Magic Money Tree GIF by STARCUTOUTSUK

So what is the JSOS model. A bucket at the campsite?

I reckon playing JSOS in the ruck is the equivalent of that mate who pisses in the kitchen sink.

Yeah, sure, it all ends up the same, and i guess technically it works quite well if there isn't another option. If you are being really truthful, if you didn't have real one it is about the best you can do as a fallback.

But sheesh... no one plans around that being one of the two main options in the house, right? That would be crazy.

'Yeah, so make yourself at home. There's a dunny in the en suite next to the master bedroom, but otherwise we just piss in the sink... saves money, you know - very versatile, sinks, can use em for all sorts of stuff and it means we can fit an extra linen closet in)

Gov is on say 800k. We will also lose tdks salary in your example. Plus Ed, omarchy, cuningham, dow and any others that leave or are booted. Lots of salary going out next year, no doubt.

But sticking with your example of gov and tdk. Gov has been here 5 years. Do you really think the 800k saving from him, hasn't been allocated already to Walsh, weitering, Charlie, Harry, Pitt, owies, motlop, doc, holland, Kennedy, or the others that signed extensions during that 5 years? Or cerra, Saad, Williams, Hewett that we brought in during his contract?

We may well have some space, I'm just trying to show your reasoning is way off.

I though Gov was $600K or $650K for 5 years.

I’m all for drafting kids but I’m worried about our poorish track record for player development. We’ve drafted a lot and they are still nowhere near it. I’m sure poor drafting is also part of the problem.

We’ve got to learn this player development caper.

I’m almost certain tdk will become a very good player at swans (if he ends up there) with their good development programs.
Then we have done a good thing. Why keep at Carlton and be mediocre when he could be somewhere where everyone can see his talent? Good luck to him if that’s the case…..and good for the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems the consensus is that Gov is on 800k. So if we take that 900k, then when Gov leaves we'll have $1.1M free in the salary cap just from Gov going elsewhere.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gov was never on $800K. When McGovern left the Crows asking for a trade mid contract Mark Ricciuto went and said in an interview that the problem wasn’t the culture at the Crows but that Carlton had offered him twice the money so nothing he could do to make him stay.
This was during the several years that when players left the Crows Taylor was the captain and abusing them for leaving. The culture was clearly an issue as we later learnt from Betts. But anyway the media went with the $800K and now everyone including Carton fans are quoting $800K. Later SOS and others confirmed it was a higher contract and longer duration but it wasn’t close to double what McGovern had at the Crows. Best guess is McGovern has been on about $600K and not sure if it was front or back loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gov was never on $800K. When McGovern left the Crows asking for a trade mid contract Mark Ricciuto went and said in an interview that the problem wasn’t the culture at the Crows but that Carlton had offered him twice the money so nothing he could do to make him stay.
This was during the several years that when players left the Crows Taylor was the captain and abusing them for leaving. The culture was clearly an issue as we later learnt from Betts. But anyway the media went with the $800K and now everyone including Carton fans are quoting $800K. Later SOS and others confirmed it was a higher contract and longer duration but it wasn’t close to double what McGovern had at the Crows. Best guess is McGovern has been on about $600K and not sure if it was front or back loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Whatever it’s been, it’s been way overs and a concerning amount of basic skill errors and lack of effort on display, especially this season.

Gov is on say 800k. We will also lose tdks salary in your example. Plus Ed, omarchy, cuningham, dow and any others that leave or are booted. Lots of salary going out next year, no doubt.

But sticking with your example of gov and tdk. Gov has been here 5 years. Do you really think the 800k saving from him, hasn't been allocated already to Walsh, weitering, Charlie, Harry, Pitt, owies, motlop, doc, holland, Kennedy, or the others that signed extensions during that 5 years? Or cerra, Saad, Williams, Hewett that we brought in during his contract?

We may well have some space, I'm just trying to show your reasoning is way off.
I'm not saying replace their contracts with full 800k guys xoming back our way. I'm saying 2-3 Acres type deals to replace the outgoing deals, and the reduced deals won't be unreasonable to expect.

The fact we have the money to match TDK at 500-600k shows that we'll have money in the cap to get 2 players at Acres 300k mark.

I'm not saying replace their contracts with full 800k guys xoming back our way. I'm saying 2-3 Acres type deals to replace the outgoing deals, and the reduced deals won't be unreasonable to expect.

The fact we have the money to match TDK at 500-600k shows that we'll have money in the cap to get 2 players at Acres 300k mark.
I am totally against this train of thought. Cultural issues reportedly abound and we call for more superannuation seeking recruits.

Show some bloody patience. The draft is our friend. I don’t want to “fluke” a flag, I want to return to the dynasty if my youth.

Not against strategic commonsense trades for need, but draft is king. I am a bit of a fan of trading in young players wanting to forge a career Kennedy, Setterfield, Marchbank, Young, Pittonet like even stretch to more established but young Cerra. Not a fan of the McGovern, Martin(was a fan at time, but became one of too many), even Acres types (although I believe he is a bridging player, not a keeper).

Have mixed feelings on Saad, Williams (will pay us back - bookmark), anti Hewett signing (put up roadblocks for young players)

Two or three first rounders and some gun kids would make a quick enough impact without ending decent careers in one off season.

I know Gov has his haters but I doubt we'll cut him
Will be a great debate at season’s end. His best is somewhat game changing, with disposal the key. Kemp emerging is an issue, although I reckon Kempy might be better used elsewhere. I know I am in the minority, but hoping for a seamless remainder of the season for Marchbank to give us a better option going forward.

TDK likely leaving maybe leaves room cap wise, but his salary needs to halve if we are to retain him.

Last edited:
Will be a great debate at season’s end. His best is somewhat game changing, with disposal the key. Kemp emerging is an issue, although I reckon Kempy might be better used elsewhere. I know I am in the minority, but hoping for a seamless remainder of the season.

TDK likely leaving maybe leaves room cap wise, but his salary needs to halve if we are to retain him.

I’m completely out in Gov as a defender. He regularly drops marks and pulls out of contests. You can’t play someone like that in defence. Marchy should take that third defender role now he’s fit. I’d actually prefer Plowman who for all his faults at least puts him body on the line.

Voss could maybe play Gov forward because he is a better kick for goal than SOS otherwise he should be dropped. Re-signing him would be a massive mistake unless it was on a very low wage IMO. Between the injuries, salary and low output his time at Carlton has been a complete disaster.

Not sure what all the fuss is about...

As long as we're adequately compensated, I'd let a player that doesn't want to be here go...

By the looks of it, on output we've over paid for
McKay, Cripps, Walsh, Williams, McGovern, Martin, Docherty & Weitering...

Which has severally hampered our ability to get ready to go players of need...

Now some here are complaining that we're not overpaying to keep TDK on the list... Why would we?
At least the list above had proven at their best they were worth the investment... TDK hasn't proved anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back