News Bock off to Gold Coast!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think some people confuse club loyalty of 30 years ago to club loyalty of today There is no such thing AFL football clubs are franchises the same way KFC stores are franchises, you would be better off having loyalty to a twister combo

AFL football is about ephemeral entertainment, it is superficial, it is saccharine, there is nothing wrong with this, AFL clubs have no more connection to supporters than say the ANZ bank, any feel good events are mealy PR exercises to maintain the facade that the club has some common touch or suburban base

Good on ya Bocky, thanks for your service, in the light of day 99% of us would do exactly the same thing for exactly the same motivation

PS SACK CRAIG

But there is a MASSIVE difference between $400K and $750K. All Bock is doing is maximizing his earning potential and I would be safe to say that 99% of us out there are doing the same thing.

The figure that he is getting compared to an average Joe Bloggs is irrelevant. Its the ability to earn more, MUCH more that matters here. Lets put it this way, its a human nature to want more. The more one earns, the more they want in life. Thats the basic principle of life.

So from Bock's perspective, with the difference between the 2 offers, we are talking potentially the difference in having 1 or 3 more investment properties to his name. You cannot tell me that its not significant. It is HUGE! One would set you up to live a reasonable life after football, 3 would make you live the life very comfortably from financial perspective.

Its the degree to which he sets himself up that is very relevant in this discussion. Do you set yourself up to a degree that someone like say Jason Torney has set himself up, or to the degree that Ricciuto or Goodwin have set themselves up. BIG BIG difference between the 2 cases. One allows you to live a reasonably comfortable life after footy, the other allows you to create an empire.

I wasn't disagreeing with you mate, I'd be gone in a flash haha. Just saying if you can't set yourself up on $3/400k a year, you're obviously not that smart and probably not any more likely to be able to do it on $600k. Yeah, $250k is a massive difference, but who's to say now he's got more money he's not going to just go spend more of it? Most peoples lifestyles change according to the level of their income.

It's not how much cash you have, it's what you do with it that counts.

I wasn't disagreeing with you mate, I'd be gone in a flash haha. Just saying if you can't set yourself up on $3/400k a year, you're obviously not that smart and probably not any more likely to be able to do it on $600k. Yeah, $250k is a massive difference, but who's to say now he's got more money he's not going to just go spend more of it? Most peoples lifestyles change according to the level of their income.

It's not how much cash you have, it's what you do with it that counts.
Look I agree but its still a fact, the more you have, the greater the chance you have to make the most of it.

If you have it, you have a chance to do something worthwhile. If you don't, you've got no chance ;)

Congratulations to the AFC on the way they handled the Bock situation.

I only hope Krak gives our club the chance to piss him off in public and in civvies as well.

But there is a MASSIVE difference between $400K and $750K. All Bock is doing is maximizing his earning potential and I would be safe to say that 99% of us out there are doing the same thing.

except i think you'll find its closer to $450K and $600K. Given the difference in property prices etc the first year of the contract probably will be absorbed pretty quickly anyway.

Sydney and Brisbane get salary cap advantages to take into consideration retention and elevated living costs, about time SA & WA got something similar in retention and can't get on The Footy Show losses.

that is disappointing really especially from a young player.

but as I said before will you really miss him?

If he turns into the player many think he could be then we will miss him but if he has a career the same as the first few years then no.

As for him informing Port Adelaide, he hasn't. It appears he has told everyone else he is going just not the club. As I understand it we are waiting for him or his manager to confirm in writing he is gone.

Back on topic I think you mob will be the short and long term winners out of Bock going and now you get the pleasure of bagging him for his off field transgressions as well.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As you guys are the first club to lose a player to the Demetriou/Anderson F.C - just wondering what reception Bock will get for his first outing against the Crows come 2011? I actually think that in a roundabout way you guys have dodged a bullet - it could have been a younger, better player to go. Lucky Tippet re-signed hey...?

As you guys are the first club to lose a player to the Demetriou/Anderson F.C - just wondering what reception Bock will get for his first outing against the Crows come 2011? I actually think that in a roundabout way you guys have dodged a bullet - it could have been a younger, better player to go. Lucky Tippet re-signed hey...?

I will be giving it to him everytime he touches the ball. Would just love to see Walker or Tippett kick a bag on him.

If he turns into the player many think he could be then we will miss him but if he has a career the same as the first few years then no.

As for him informing Port Adelaide, he hasn't. It appears he has told everyone else he is going just not the club. As I understand it we are waiting for him or his manager to confirm in writing he is gone.

Back on topic I think you mob will be the short and long term winners out of Bock going and now you get the pleasure of bagging him for his off field transgressions as well.:D

How so???

same quote, different wording.

Newsflash Vlad: It's not the GC who get to choose the compensation, it's you.

I reckon if he could rate his order ofg importance, the AFC would rate somewhere near the bottom. Remember, he actually came out a few years ago and publically said we probably wouldn't make the finals anyway after some questioned a particularly hard draw we received.

Sydney and Brisbane get salary cap advantages to take into consideration retention and elevated living costs, about time SA & WA got something similar in retention and can't get on The Footy Show losses.

Incorrect. Brisbane lost their salary cap advantages at the end of 2006. Sydney still has salary cap advantages though.

Incorrect. Brisbane lost their salary cap advantages at the end of 2006. Sydney still has salary cap advantages though.

All teams are capable of getting salary cap advantages. Instead of just giving Brisbane, Sydney or other developing markets an advantage, all teams can use this advantage. Its now done on the % of your players that are from interstate. Say if the figure was 75% (and that is a guess as I can't remember), if 75% or more of your players were from interstate, you would get an extra say $400,000 (as a guess) in salary cap to "retain your players".

Obviously this assists the interstate and developing markets a lot more and makes it "fair" to all teams according to the AFL.

I agree entirely AtoBtoZ:thumbsu: - despite all the bleating I for one don't think losing Bock is a huge loss and agree we've have dodged not only a bullet but a huge hand grenade as well, given I understand that GCF and GWS are only allowed to take one player per club. So if its Bock from us, well I say good luck to them - he's only played three games for us this season, is injury-prone, is 28, no real leadership potential and IMO is heading for the twilight of his career. So we haven't lost our future with losing one of our young up-and-comers - we've only lost only our recent past.

Thats not to say Bock hasn't had a good (not great) career and I have admired him as a rock solid defender. And in his defence, given I heard this week (891?) that the offer is 1.9 mill over three years - he would have been an idiot to not take it and set himself up for life after football - given the contract will need to be paid out if he becomes severely injured and/or doesn't perform. And IMO if they get 1.9 in value out of him well good luck to them - this opens up massive financial opportunities for the Crows to secure our list as well, particularly with the departure of some of our older players at the end of the season.:)

Good luck to Nathan and I wish him well:thumbsu: - I think he handled a difficult situiation well and with great grace - and I'm thrilled for us that it wasn't a Tippett or Dangerfield instead.

I think one positive with Bock leaving is that it frees up a fair bit of coin to throw at other players out of contract.

Bock would have been on about $300-350K at Adelaide (IIRC he signed his last contract prior to his B&F and AA season). Thats now off the books. Also consider that guys like Goodwin, Edwards, McLeod and Burton would have been on similar contract. With 2 of those players only hald their salary would be counted in the salary cap.

So with the retirements and Bock's deflection we should really have about a $1 million (if not more) to play with which would allow us to "poach" a VERY good player with a front loaded contract either via a PSD or for below the market trade value.

And on top of that, you still have the draft pick/s we will get for Bock down the track but more importantly for an immidiate need, we have the salary cap room to get a player of equal quality to Nathan Bock but for a position of greater need. For around a $1M you can get a top of the range midfielder which would be a rather nice fit in our team.

Ah the warchest

7 years old and counting :D :p

Remove this Banner Ad

News Bock off to Gold Coast!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back