Review Bont Brownlow Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With Bonts current form, I’m interested to find out everyone’s thoughts on his current Brownlow chance and where they think his votes sit.

I’ve had a look over his games this year and currently have him on 20 votes after 16 rounds.

I’ve taken a semi conservative approach but think it’s probably vote or two either side. Which is pretty good at this stage of the year because only 3 more best ons sees him around 30 votes, which is around the winning mark.

He’s already the best bulldog I’ve seen play. A Brownlow would be the icing on an incredible career.

Fingers crossed his form continues 🤞🏻

It was funny this week with all the talk of Cripps having as good as, or better year than his Brownlow year.

Compare the 2 from this season, Bont is ahead in most areas and anything he’s not, he isn’t far behind - except for ruck contests, which Cripps has had 66 of apparently!

It really shows just what a year he’s having & what an exceptional player he is.

Unfortunately, Brownlow’s generally go to a team that wins more often. Bont should already be a 2-time, looking at a 3rd. Possibly not getting 1 would really, really suck for a player as good as him.

Key games:
Round 2: Weightman kicked 6, the main threat but he should get 3.
Round 3: I don't think he votes, but the AFL tracker has him with 2. 16 disposals, 3 goals. Treloar should definitely get 3.
Round 4: This will be intriguing, arguably the best two players on the ground were Libba & Bont, Miers a good shot as well. I think 2 votes fwiw.
Round 6: I don't think he votes, Dale should get 3. 24 touches and 3 goals, but we had a bunch of good players that night.
Round 8: A loss, but he should vote, was our best.
Round 9: Who knows, don't think he had his best game, everyone was good. Was this the game his kicking seemed off all over the ground?
Round 12: Would be amazing if he doesn't get 3. Daicos is the threat, but there was a clear winner between the two.
Round 14: Again, should be an automatic 3.
Round 16: Most likely 3 again.

AFL Brownlow tracker has him on 18, but I think that's his minimum at this point. More likely 20 or just above. Sounds like a great position to be in, but there seems like it will be another very high voting year.

Round 12: Would be amazing if he doesn't get 3. Daicos is the threat, but there was a clear winner between the two.

I reckon they'll at least give Daicos 2 votes for that game. If they gave him 3 in that game you can write off the rest of the season and cash in your bets on Daicos winning it.

I think he might have the Swans players covered with 3 taking votes off each other but the Blues winning a heap of games puts Cripps right at the very front.

It’s looking like 30+ will be needed to win again this year. He’d be comfortably on 18-20 now but it can go either way.

Like most AFL awards and offerings the Brownlow is heavily compromised these days. However it carries a lot of prestige, media coverage and usually results in additional income from endorsements and so on, so it's nice to have one on your CV.

What stands him in good stead is that a lot of the media have been commenting recently on what a player he is and what a season he's having. This will bring him a few extra votes in the remaining games. Sad, but that's how it works. From our perspective that's good because it improves Bont's chances of winning the BM.

And yet it wouldn't surprise me if he finished his career as one of the best players of his generation, but without any of the official AFL awards apart from AA selection and captaincy.

RS? - no, not good enough young fella. That Brissy speedster has it all over you (and also I backed him at good odds).
GotY? - clearly not son, because not enough fans thought it was (and besides, they barrack for clubs that have their own contenders)

And on it goes.

With Bonts current form, I’m interested to find out everyone’s thoughts on his current Brownlow chance and where they think his votes sit.

I’ve had a look over his games this year and currently have him on 20 votes after 16 rounds.

I’ve taken a semi conservative approach but think it’s probably vote or two either side. Which is pretty good at this stage of the year because only 3 more best ons sees him around 30 votes, which is around the winning mark.

He’s already the best bulldog I’ve seen play. A Brownlow would be the icing on an incredible career.

Fingers crossed his form continues 🤞🏻
As long as he doesn’t get beaten by Cripps or Neale again

Like most AFL awards and offerings the Brownlow is heavily compromised these days. However it carries a lot of prestige, media coverage and usually results in additional income from endorsements and so on, so it's nice to have one on your CV.

What stands him in good stead is that a lot of the media have been commenting recently on what a player he is and what a season he's having. This will bring him a few extra votes in the remaining games. Sad, but that's how it works. From our perspective that's good because it improves Bont's chances of winning the BM.

And yet it wouldn't surprise me if he finished his career as one of the best players of his generation, but without any of the official AFL awards apart from AA selection and captaincy.

RS? - no, not good enough young fella. That Brissy speedster has it all over you (and also I backed him at good odds).
GotY? - clearly not son, because not enough fans thought it was (and besides, they barrack for clubs that have their own contenders)

And on it goes.
Are you sure you are DW and not DK….he was spruiking Whoey Taylor at odds too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee I hope the Bont snags it this year. Of all players to pull on the RW&B, he surely deserves one. But I've got a feeling he'll fall just short and end up in the top 3-5 again.

I hope I'm wrong and Bonti storms home - Dogs flag + Bont Brownlow had juicy odds prior to the season kicking off 😉

Hes on absolute max 17 votes.

He cant poll in the eagles and saints floggings. Which ultimately probably does him in.

He'd have to play out of his skin for the remaining rounds hoping that Cripps, Heany, & Daicos are quiet, which is unlikely. I dont hold weight to the brownlow umpire voting these days, he's got a premiership medal and that IMO holds far more value to a footy CV

He'd have to play out of his skin for the remaining rounds hoping that Cripps, Heany, & Daicos are quiet, which is unlikely. I dont hold weight to the brownlow umpire voting these days, he's got a premiership medal and that IMO holds far more value to a footy CV

Heeney wouldn’t have polled 3 votes for a while now. I think Bont comfortably goes past him. Daicos also had a slow start so i think they wouldn’t be too far apart.

Cripps is the real danger imo

We’re hitting some form and he’s getting media Brownlow attention at the right time to bias the umpires enough for the run home. If we storm home to make finals he’ll be a serious chance but will need at least another 4 BOGs I reckon

Daicos was coming from some way back and almost caught the leaders by round 16. However, wont get a vote tonight. The pies are cooked and won't win many more games. Less of a threat.

Heeny, has almost mirrored that. Jumped out of the blocks early but has cooled and will have teamates taking votes.

That leaves Cripps. He's plodded along for the most part with his high disposal games which generally attract 3 votes. Throw in a couple of eye catching performances, along with the blues winning a heap of games and you have your 2024 brownlow medalist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back