Boring to Best Teams to Watch List

Remove this Banner Ad

cgj1981

Debutant
Jun 16, 2003
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Since everyone else is doing lists or player comparisons why not me too since Ive never done one.
So in my humble opinion this is the list from best to worst of the teams that are good to watch aesthetically and give you the most highlights and memorable plays/marks/goals on a consistent basis, right now. Obviously the teams that are winning probably look better than losers but it is not always the case. (BTW I go for Hawthorn to put that on the table now)

1. Brisbane (almost guaranteed to be a good game when they are involved b/c of their style and marquee players only Sydney can make these games ugly)
2. West Coast (fast moving teams are always good, always produce great goals. The hardest to team to stop in full flow)
3. Carlton (Pagan coached teams always look good because of the long kick and lack of meaningless possession)
4. St. Kilda (Due to their callibre of players up forward and in the middle it is very good to see what they produce especially when winning)
5. Geelong (Probably the best "team" of players going around, lesser talent overall then others in the top bracket but wacthing 18 players almost always having a dip is great. Ablett is lways good to watch)
6. Melbourne (When they play well they look great as like St.Kilda their midfield and forward line is very good. Davey running down somebody or bursting out of a pack is a highlight on its own)
7. Adelaide (Probably the hardest team to judge - can play some ugly football at times to get a result but some of their new breed in conjuction with Mcleoad and Roo are very good when going. With Burton and Perrie a lot of aerial highs too)
8. Port Adelaide (Port are on of those teams that look great when winning and awful when losing and since they are losing now it is not pretty. Tredrea wheeling on the left, a Picket bump, the Burgoynes and Wanganeen they could easily be a lot higher)
9. Richmond (Last year with Hawthorn were probably the ugliest to watch so along with Adelaide are probable the biggest improver. Richo, Stafford and SYmons are taking contested marks and that is always good to watch)
10. Kangaroos (Harsh but true. They are ugly to watch but they sure know how to win without even winning many quarters. Archer's courage at times and Wells on his own though are amazing)
11. Fremantle (If they play like they should consitently given their great midfield players and wealth of great KPP they are fantastic but the ghosts of Neesham are still there at times. They could almost be at the top. The Freo v WCE game of R22 2003 is probably the best game I have seen this decade.)
12. Essendon (Their general style is not pretty but Hird is still one of those players you would pay to watch on his own. Hirds's Anzac day 03 and 04 were amazing to watch just because of what he did on his own and not necessarily the team around him)
13. Hawthorn (My team were probably on the bottom of this list last year and Clarkson seems to be turning things around bit by bit, the Carlton game last week showed at times how ugly Hawthorn's play can be. The young players on their own push Hawthorn up this list)
14. Collingwood (injuries have defnintely hurt but with Collingwood I can't think of a player on their list who I really just look forward to seeing them play b/c of what they can do, Buckley's woes are just a sad familiar story of a star near the end.)
15. Western Bulldogs (Eade teams will never be high on the list. Cooney is exciting at times but if you were to show a foreigner our game a WB v Sydney game would be last on the list right now)
16. Sydney (When the CEO of the AFL bags your play you know something is seriously wrong b/c it really isn't his place to say anything. With Hall and O'Laughlin in the forard line and Kenelly and Barry running out of the back line they should not be here)

I expect to be disagreed with a lot but will be intersting to see what others think.

Sydney by far the most boring. Apart from their style of play They are a souless club, the only time the club creates any interest locally is When a doctor flies in on a pink Helicopter or a super star is poached. I used to think that the Tiges were fickle but this mob wins hands down.
The swans create a very low care factor through out the league. :eek:

Two of the worst footy matches i've seen have involved Adelaide, our round 1 clash this year and the Freo V Adelaide match early 2004 at subi. A team I respect but don't go out of my way to watch.

also agree the hawks have been great to watch in games i've seen them this year. the carlton game got a bit scrappy because the pressure applied by both teams was huge.

the hawks lions games was very entertaining. great hard running

Two of the worst footy matches i've seen have involved Adelaide, our round 1 clash this year and the Freo V Adelaide match early 2004 at subi. A team I respect but don't go out of my way to watch.

dont forget the roos game at ammi last year

Bulldogs highest scoring team in league and 2nd most boring????? I'm not too sure about that......perhaps you'd better watch more Dogs matches.

You are a joke cgj - the bulldogs are currently 4th on points scored and last on scored against. They are playing an open style of football with plenty of run - not boring to watch at all.

whythelongface said:
You are a joke cgj - the bulldogs are currently 4th on points scored and last on scored against. They are playing an open style of football with plenty of run - not boring to watch at all.

I think people's mentality about the Dogs is "Eade is their coach, Eade flooded at Sydney, the Dogs must be playing the EXACTLY same style"

Milenko said:
Two of the worst footy matches i've seen have involved Adelaide, our round 1 clash this year
Adelaide's fault, apparently, not West Coast.
Milenko said:
...and the Freo V Adelaide match early 2004 at subi.
Adelaide's fault, apparently, not Freo's.
Milenko said:
A team I respect but don't go out of my way to watch.
Shrug, I know we're not up there in the excitement stakes every week (but did you watch the Showdown this year?) but it takes two teams to play a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i found the bulldogs very boring too watch last week
lots of flooding and they ruined the style of play i usually enjoy when watching the cats because it was so so messy
but thats just my opinion, and i still think the doggies are a great side :)

arrowman said:
Adelaide's fault, apparently, not West Coast.
Adelaide's fault, apparently, not Freo's.
Shrug, I know we're not up there in the excitement stakes every week (but did you watch the Showdown this year?) but it takes two teams to play a game.

A) Definitely Adelaide's fault in round one, the super flood worked a treat, except for the fact that you didn't win.

B) Bit of both teams in that Freo clash, skills were abhorrent in perfect sunny conditions.

C) Yeah, that was a rare skilled and free-flowing game from the Crows, mind you it followed another stinker of a game against the Pies the week earlier.

I have nothing against the Crows, they just seem to get caught up in a lot of average games, whether that be from a skills perspective or a flood perspective. The Swans are still number one in boring stakes though.

The Bulldogs,
-Just beacue a team is high scoring doensn't mean they are necessarily good to watch. I have seen a few of the Bulldog's game this year and they wern't pretty. Telstra Dome teams tend to be in the higher scroing bracket because of their more pristine conditions. There are 14 more attractive teams to watch than the Bulldogs IMO.

The Adelaide v WCE game wasn't great but Adelaide this year have been alright too watch not dazzling but definitely not among the more boring group either.

As for my team Hawthorn, I think the fact that the gave v Carlton was close helped it to be good to watch as well as the fact that Carlton play a direct game. However we are still no the attractive to watch yet but the good news is we are improving and no-where near the boring team during the years 2002-2004.

Freo in full swing are probally only second to Brisbane.
The likes of McPharlin flying in the backline, midfield running forward and Pav or farmer up forward as breath taking.
Unfortunately its not consistent enough.

I care for getting the prediction right / $$$$ in the pocket than watching showponies play good footy then get done >>> :rolleyes: Ugly wins are better than watching an honourable loss anytime, anyplace and anywhere. I'll take the cash not the sympathy thanx.

cgj1981 said:
Since everyone else is doing lists or player comparisons why not me too since Ive never done one.
So in my humble opinion this is the list from best to worst of the teams that are good to watch aesthetically and give you the most highlights and memorable plays/marks/goals on a consistent basis, right now. Obviously the teams that are winning probably look better than losers but it is not always the case. (BTW I go for Hawthorn to put that on the table now)

1. Brisbane (almost guaranteed to be a good game when they are involved b/c of their style and marquee players only Sydney can make these games ugly)
2. West Coast (fast moving teams are always good, always produce great goals. The hardest to team to stop in full flow)
3. Carlton (Pagan coached teams always look good because of the long kick and lack of meaningless possession)
4. St. Kilda (Due to their callibre of players up forward and in the middle it is very good to see what they produce especially when winning)
5. Geelong (Probably the best "team" of players going around, lesser talent overall then others in the top bracket but wacthing 18 players almost always having a dip is great. Ablett is lways good to watch)
6. Melbourne (When they play well they look great as like St.Kilda their midfield and forward line is very good. Davey running down somebody or bursting out of a pack is a highlight on its own)
7. Adelaide (Probably the hardest team to judge - can play some ugly football at times to get a result but some of their new breed in conjuction with Mcleoad and Roo are very good when going. With Burton and Perrie a lot of aerial highs too)
8. Port Adelaide (Port are on of those teams that look great when winning and awful when losing and since they are losing now it is not pretty. Tredrea wheeling on the left, a Picket bump, the Burgoynes and Wanganeen they could easily be a lot higher)
9. Richmond (Last year with Hawthorn were probably the ugliest to watch so along with Adelaide are probable the biggest improver. Richo, Stafford and SYmons are taking contested marks and that is always good to watch)
10. Kangaroos (Harsh but true. They are ugly to watch but they sure know how to win without even winning many quarters. Archer's courage at times and Wells on his own though are amazing)
11. Fremantle (If they play like they should consitently given their great midfield players and wealth of great KPP they are fantastic but the ghosts of Neesham are still there at times. They could almost be at the top. The Freo v WCE game of R22 2003 is probably the best game I have seen this decade.)
12. Essendon (Their general style is not pretty but Hird is still one of those players you would pay to watch on his own. Hirds's Anzac day 03 and 04 were amazing to watch just because of what he did on his own and not necessarily the team around him)
13. Hawthorn (My team were probably on the bottom of this list last year and Clarkson seems to be turning things around bit by bit, the Carlton game last week showed at times how ugly Hawthorn's play can be. The young players on their own push Hawthorn up this list)
14. Collingwood (injuries have defnintely hurt but with Collingwood I can't think of a player on their list who I really just look forward to seeing them play b/c of what they can do, Buckley's woes are just a sad familiar story of a star near the end.)
15. Western Bulldogs (Eade teams will never be high on the list. Cooney is exciting at times but if you were to show a foreigner our game a WB v Sydney game would be last on the list right now)
16. Sydney (When the CEO of the AFL bags your play you know something is seriously wrong b/c it really isn't his place to say anything. With Hall and O'Laughlin in the forard line and Kenelly and Barry running out of the back line they should not be here)

I expect to be disagreed with a lot but will be intersting to see what others think.

Carlton ahead of Melbourne?

Now I have heard everything

Watching Carlton is like watchng paint dry

sabre_ac said:
Freo in full swing are probally only second to Brisbane.
The likes of McPharlin flying in the backline, midfield running forward and Pav or farmer up forward as breath taking.
Unfortunately its not consistent enough.

Hahaha...That's funny! :D :D

My Order Best to watch to worst

1. Hawks
2. Brisbane
3. St. Kilda
4. West Coast
5. Geelong
6. Adelaide
7. Essendon
8. Western Bulldogs

9. Port Adelaide
10. Collingwood
11. Richmond
12. Melbourne
13. Sydney
14. Carlton
15. Freemantle
16. Kangaroos

Just my opinion, I love the hawks because of their yound rrunning team and the fact I barrack for them. The top 5 are standouts and the bottom 3 I cannot stand. I just don't like the teams and the way they play.

roosforever said:
My Order Best to watch to worst

1. Hawks
2. Brisbane
3. St. Kilda
4. West Coast
5. Geelong
6. Adelaide
7. Essendon
8. Western Bulldogs

9. Port Adelaide
10. Collingwood
11. Richmond
12. Melbourne
13. Sydney
14. Carlton
15. Freemantle
16. Kangaroos

Just my opinion, I love the hawks because of their yound rrunning team and the fact I barrack for them. The top 5 are standouts and the bottom 3 I cannot stand. I just don't like the teams and the way they play.
Hawthorn is number one because your support them,not because they are a young running team.If that were true WCE would be number 1.

weagles_fan said:
Hawthorn is number one because your support them,not because they are a young running team.If that were true WCE would be number 1.

Both reasons are why I like them the best. Common its my opinion on who I like to watch best!

Remove this Banner Ad

Boring to Best Teams to Watch List

Remove this Banner Ad

Back