Bottom four next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just thinking through the likely teams to finish in the bottom four next year. Would like to get a perspective from people regarding who will finish in that bracket. I beleive its very hard to judge the bottom four, you can go with the obvious fremantle, rich, melbourne and roos but is that likely to happen next year? Immediately i start thinking Sydney and Port, but then i have a feeling they might do ok? And every year i expect freo to get up but they dissapoint!!

Thoughts?

16th dockers
15th kangas
14th demons
13th swans,power, or blues(im counting on injuries and suspensions keeping them from the 8).

I think Freo will start to win more games at home so i reckon will be ahead of those guys. Definantly Richmond and Melb

Freo is a really unpredictable team, i remember a few years ago i was up in Sydney watching them play in a prelim against Sydney!! Then they just went straight down. I just cant pick them, i mean if they can win most of their home games and a few away they could sneak into the eight but just as likely to finish 15th or 16th

For all those putting Sydney in the bottom 4 it won't happen. It just won't. Roos isn't the "tanking" type- he will do everything in his power to finish in the finals + it'll be his last year so I don't think he'll be trying to throw any games. They're a club with a good culture and they still have some gun players (Kirk, Bolton's, O'Keefe, Goodes, Jolly, McVeigh etc.) in there that'll make sure they'll not be bottom 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember West Coast winning a flag just recently and have fallen from there. Remember they only won 8 games this year (2 more than Freo).

For all those putting Sydney in the bottom 4 it won't happen. It just won't. Roos isn't the "tanking" type- he will do everything in his power to finish in the finals + it'll be his last year so I don't think he'll be trying to throw any games. They're a club with a good culture and they still have some gun players (Kirk, Bolton's, O'Keefe, Goodes, Jolly, McVeigh etc.) in there that'll make sure they'll not be bottom 4.
What about, they could possibly not be good enough to win games. There are other ways to come bottom 4 apart from tanking.

14. Fremantle - I'm still not sold on Harvey and they need help for Tarrant and Pavlich at both ends.

I think most would have a bottom six of those teams plus North and Sydney.

Well again like last year, Injuries are key because we don't have a huge amount of depth it all comes down to that. One or two key injuries and its bottom 4 again. But if we can win about 70% of our home games a sneak 1 or 2 away then i think we can avoid the bottom 4. We won't play finals next year but aslong as we improve.

On Tarrant, with our midfield being a little more experienced and injury free next year (touch wood) then Pav will stay foward more and i would expect him to spend not much time in the middle.

Hopefully our backline is something like;

B:Broughton, Tarrant, Grover
HB: Hayden, McPharlin, Duffield

I don't want to see McPharlin foward at all next year. That would be the help Tarrant needs.

HF: Headland Johnson Suban
F: Ballantyne Pavlich Mayne

With Johnson back a fully fit Headland and Mayne Pavlich will also have support.

Alot of things can go right next year... but also very wrong... i guess we just have to wait and see.

But i expect we would probably be around the bottom 6-8 mark next year (here's hoping :cool:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bottom four next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back