Traded Brad Hill [traded with future 3rd to St Kilda for Acres, #10, #58, future 2nd and 4th]

Who won this trade?

• Fremantle

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day Hill isn't going to take either list to a final, let alone GF. He's part of a team and if that teams a fail then its a moot point.

Freos aim? To draft youngsters? Fyfe will be over the hill when they come good. Freos going nowhere anytime soon.

St Kildas aim - Bring in solid staff/part timers. Ratten, Roughead, Brereton, Slater + lethlan making every right move + Gubby turning it on during trade period.

Fixing our spine, bringing in more run. Howard, Battle, Marshall, King, Membrey (Ryder backup) and probably land the other King next year. The spine is up there with the best.

Jones and Gray will add run. Hill would of been a fantastic inclusion and it's what he wanted as well but i guess it's not to be. Still looking like a very good trade period and might have a solid pick to take to the draft.

that spine up there with the best? Wow...

Is hard for people to value draft, if Fremantle knew Tim Kelly is worth 2 first round pick and a second, I think they would swap pick 5 with GC pick 2 and take multiple second round in 2017 and future second round for Weller . You win some you lost some in trade. I rated GWS the best in trade deal.
I suspect that if pushed Bell would have accepted pick 6 plus Saints 2nd rd if that had been offered.
Now there are only 2 options that will happen:
1. Hill stays
2. Fremantle get something of higher value than initial offer.
I'm just saying this based on Bell's personality - anyone who thinks he will cave and take less just don't appreciate his make up

Hey Freo supporters, out of interest what would you have preferred (if could choose hypothetically):

Option A) Pick 6 this year plus next years 3rd round pick from saints (assuming saints miss finals and factoring in 2 early GCS concession picks, somewhere in range of 40 to 50); or

Option B) Pick 12 plus next years 2nd round pick from saints (per above assumption but somewhere in range of 21 to 31)?

It’s interesting. I have no idea what is better if you believe what you hear about this year’s draft being very even after picks 1 and 2...

Perhaps some saints bias, but I think either is pretty fair value. Later certainly preferable
Neither of those will be acceptable to Bell.
Had to be 6 plus 2nd rounder as a minimum I believe. Now Hill will stay or Bell will take more than Saints initial offer - it's how he is wired.

I suspect that if pushed Bell would have accepted pick 6 plus Saints 2nd rd if that had been offered.
Now there are only 2 options that will happen:
1. Hill stays
2. Fremantle get something of higher value than initial offer.
I'm just saying this based on Bell's personality - anyone who thinks he will cave and take less just don't appreciate his make up
Everybody is fighting to keep their jobs, especially Bell in AFL , gone are the day like former GCS list manager Clayton who accept whatever pick opposition club offer to him. If media can value players, might as well give the job to them and cut list managers out of the club and cut cost.

I mentioned this earlier however there was no response from Freo supporters.

Saints traded 6 for 12 & 18. Coincidently Gee paid 14 & approx 16 (future 1st) for Kelly. So wouldn’t the Saints offer of 6 for Hill be not only reasonable but also an equivalent offer to what Gee received for Kelly?

Not withstanding the Kelly deal involved an exchange of two 2nd round picks for 3rd round picks however the Hill deal included a 3rd round pick projected to be closer to a West Coast 2nd round pick & without anything coming back.

Additionally, majority will admit Kelly is superior to Hill & is valued substantially higher.

The offer from St Kilda was fair & reasonable & arguably above market price based on past trade history, player comparisons & individual awards. This is why Freo are copping it in the media, not because of Vic bias.
Personally as a Freo supporter I understand your logic but the bottom line is what is acceptable to Bell and co. They are happy for Hill to stay and this is something people just can't get their heads around. In this situation St Kilda were always going to be forced to sell the farm - for what it's worth I wouldn't want that as a Saints fan.

Everybody is fighting to keep their jobs, especially Bell in AFL , gone are the day like former GCS list manager Clayton who accept whatever pick opposition club offer to him. If media can value players, might as well give the job to them and cut list managers out of the club and cut cost.
You're dead right - especially when media operators like Tom Morris crank up the hysteria by advertising incorrectly what St Kilda initially offered!

Hey Freo supporters, out of interest what would you have preferred (if could choose hypothetically):

Option A) Pick 6 this year plus next years 3rd round pick from saints (assuming saints miss finals and factoring in 2 early GCS concession picks, somewhere in range of 40 to 50); or

Option B) Pick 12 plus next years 2nd round pick from saints (per above assumption but somewhere in range of 21 to 31)?

It’s interesting. I have no idea what is better if you believe what you hear about this year’s draft being very even after picks 1 and 2...

Perhaps some saints bias, but I think either is pretty fair value. Later certainly preferable
None of the above. It’s going to be two first rounders with one being 12 and the other being either 13 if you can get that from the doggies or 2020 R1 if you decide to prioritise bringing in Hill over having a shot at Bing next year.

Yeah all good mate - I was responding to posters who were saying St Kilda "poached" Hill and then reneged. Simply not true. We put a financial offer to a player after they said they wanted to leave their current club.

As for the trade deal - yep clearly has to be acceptable to Freo.

But I'm sure Hill and his manager were made aware by St Kilda at the time of the offer what St Kilda thought was "fair and reasonable" trade arrangement and I'm just as sure that Hill and his manager would have had the same discussions with Freo.

A bit of posturing by both parties but I suspect the deal will get done next week especially if the Doggies come to the party with 13 for Bruce.

12 & 13 for Hill (plus whatever steak knives going backwards and forwards) to make the trade look completely different to what ever was previously proposed so neither side looks like they were responsible for nearly stuffing it up.

Freo could of split pick 6 themselves to gain 12 and 18 if they accepted the saints reported offer, which isn't too far apart from 12 + 13
I don't think a deal will get done here

None of the above. It’s going to be two first rounders with one being 12 and the other being either 13 if you can get that from the doggies or 2020 R1 if you decide to prioritise bringing in Hill over having a shot at Bing next year.

Thinking 12 plus 2020 1st is the only offer Bell will accept now

I like Bruce and surprised you are trading him

I think most Saints fans would agree.
I don't think we actively wanted to trade him. More that the Saints left the door ajar and the dogs made an offer that Bruce liked the look of.
Given how many deals we need to do I think the,Saints knew someone with son e currency would to go. As a result, if we get something for Bruce that helps gets the other deals done, they will let him go.
Can't see the dogs second being enough on its own though.

Why is Bell’s job under question? He’s great in the media and did a great job last year.

The two scenarios are we get overs for Hill or keep him. Both are acceptable for Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think most Saints fans would agree.
I don't think we actively wanted to trade him. More that the Saints left the door ajar and the dogs made an offer that Bruce liked the look of.
Given how many deals we need to do I think the,Saints knew someone with son e currency would to go. As a result, if we get something for Bruce that helps gets the other deals done, they will let him go.
Can't see the dogs second being enough on its own though.

I understand Howard is a younger version, but the cost will also be considerably higher.

Perhaps hanging onto Bruce while securing other targets, apart from Howard, would be a better strategy, then you could use the leftover currency, this year and next to target King

As I said, I like Bruce, think he is underrated by most, but given his age, I think a late 1st, early 2nd is his value, even in this draft

I understand Howard is a younger version, but the cost will also be considerably higher.

Perhaps hanging onto Bruce while securing other targets, apart from Howard, would be a better strategy, then you could use the leftover currency, this year and next to target King

As I said, I like Bruce, think he is underrated by most, but given his age, I think a late 1st, early 2nd is his value, even in this draft
I think most agree re Bruce's value. It's just a shame that the dogs first two picks are either side of what he's probably worth.

St.kilda did the right thing trading out pick 6.

They had no choice. No way they can land all of those targets by keeping it.

As a Freo fan yep pick 6 is nice but 12 & 18 to 20 if Henry is bid after 13 ....is just as good in my eyes.

It’s not about points, I’d love to get 4 of the top rated WA boys. Our 7 gets one, hopefully 12 gets another ...bid eats 1 and praying a downgraded 22 is enough to get the 3rd (plus Henry).

I don’t buy this media BS - Bell got all our deals done last year, I’m pretty certain the downgrade of pick 6 would have been done with Freo being aware.

We posture on here - I’d love Hill to stay but reality is if he doesn’t get there...neither Freo or St Kilda are covering themselves in glory.

Fremantle fans prefer Option C.

Why is Bell’s job under question? He’s great in the media and did a great job last year.

The two scenarios are we get overs for Hill or keep him. Both are acceptable for Freo.
The 2 scenarios are you will get less for Hill or you have to keep him and hope he doesnt crack the sads because he isnt getting his pay day

The 2 scenarios are you will get less for Hill or you have to keep him and hope he doesnt crack the sads because he isnt getting his pay day
Gee I hope he has the same kind of sads as when we didn't let him go at the end of last season because those kind of sads led to him having a career best year in 2019. That's the same kind of sads Kelly had. Bring those sads on I say.

Gee I hope he has the same kind of sads as when we didn't let him go at the end of last season because those kind of sads led to him having a career best year in 2019. That's the same kind of sads Kelly had. Bring those sads on I say.
Last year he was only sad about coming back to the Hawks on less than Freo were paying,while Freo was getting his GF a gym, this year its 300 g more sads and 6 years of nearly a mill a year sads

Last year he was only sad about coming back to the Hawks on less than Freo were paying,while Freo was getting his GF a gym, this year its 300 g more sads and 6 years of nearly a mill a year sads
Oh, I thought it was all about the homesick girlfriend....

In your situation he should be angry at his manager for negotiating the current contract that he is on, and mad at St Kilda for promising a huge contract and failing to get a deal done. We can console him, and can also offer him a contract extension. No drama.

Oh, I thought it was all about the homesick girlfriend....

In your situation he should be angry at his manager for negotiating the current contract that he is on, and mad at St Kilda for promising a huge contract and failing to get a deal done. We can console him, and can also offer him a contract extension. No drama.
Time will tell my guess is he is going for less than what Freo dreamed off
He will be a very rich man and will look back fondly at the 3 GF in his retirement

Time will tell my guess is he is going for less than what Freo dreamed off
He will be a very rich man and will look back fondly at the 3 GF in his retirement
My guess deal not get done. Everybody like to guess the right deal get done eg cognilio and guess wrong then blame it on AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brad Hill [traded with future 3rd to St Kilda for Acres, #10, #58, future 2nd and 4th]

Back