Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Injury free we wouldnt have been this year
there is no logic to your answer at all that I can see..and ...we won the week before....cant have it both ways
Except for when we got flogged against Gold Coast and Collingwood at the start of the season, with minimal injury list.

But yeah apart from that, wouldn't have been flogged

Let me preface by saying that I don't think BB should be shown the door, however what has the club done to adequately support him?

Recent AFL history is littered with examples of inexperienced coaches having experienced senior assistants guide them in the early years of their reign:

Buckley had Malthouse, then Eade
Hird had Thompson
Hardwick had Williams

Christ even Clarkson had Ratten during the recent 3-peat.

Why are we deviating from AFL best practice? Bolton needs an experienced head around him, to validate strategy and provide advice. I'm particularly concerned at the moment that the depth of the injury list is currently being scapegoated for a game plan that isn't working.

Let me preface by saying that I don't think BB should be shown the door, however what has the club done to adequately support him?

Recent AFL history is littered with examples of inexperienced coaches having experienced senior assistants guide them in the early years of their reign:

Buckley had Malthouse, then Eade
Hird had Thompson
Hardwick had Williams

Christ even Clarkson had Ratten during the recent 3-peat.

Why are we deviating from AFL best practice? Bolton needs an experienced head around him, to validate strategy and provide advice. I'm particularly concerned at the moment that the depth of the injury list is currently being scapegoated for a game plan that isn't working.
He did have Neil Craig but I agree we desperately need to find a replacement this off season... I get a funny feeling we will see Ratten in McKays job though

Except for when we got flogged against Gold Coast and Collingwood at the start of the season, with minimal injury list.

But yeah apart from that, wouldn't have been flogged
I hope that makes you feel better....have a nice day :)
Seriously there must be better things to do than pick faults. Happy to have discussions and share differing opinions but thats not constructive.

I hope that makes you feel better....have a nice day :)
Seriously there must be better things to do than pick faults. Happy to have discussions and share differing opinions but thats not constructive.
Must be better things to do than pick faults?

What, you mean like what you were trying to do with the poster before you? Come on

He did have Neil Craig but I agree we desperately need to find a replacement this off season... I get a funny feeling we will see Ratten in McKays job though
Getting in another inexperienced head as GM of Football would be just about the worst thing we could do at the moment, notwithstanding the boys club element. We did that with McKay, it didn't work. Our CEO is also a first timer.

We need a Football GM with runs on the board. Graham Wright or Neil Balme should be offered any amount of money.

Would welcome Ratts as Senior Assistant though.

Must be better things to do than pick faults?

What, you mean like what you were trying to do with the poster before you? Come on
I expressed a different opinion is all. Its what we do here. Your post just zeroed in on a few words that were of course intended as a general statement not a point by point deadly accurate legal document.

Getting in another inexperienced head as GM of Football would be just about the worst thing we could do at the moment, notwithstanding the boys club element. We did that with McKay, it didn't work. Our CEO is also a first timer.

We need a Football GM with runs on the board. Graham Wright or Neil Balme should be offered any amount of money.

Would welcome Ratts as Senior Assistant though.
Agreed would love to have Ratts back but more so in a coaching format. The club has recently gone out to get best available in terms of Caine to boost our membership and then Caine obviously got his pieces of the puzzle to follow over to us. Would not be surprised the club going down that path again, they seem to me like they want to get the best person out there for crucial jobs now (rather than it always being pick the best available)

Why say it?
No one, after the good win would have thought, yep we are going to lose by over 100 today. Keep it real
I'd argue it was well within expectations, given the side they put out there, the fact that yet again we lost a player in the warmup (Jack) and the fact that GWS were in fairly decent form coming in.

When they're on, they're bloody good, and the only way to beat them is to tackle and block and scrag them out of Globetrotter mode. We couldn't do it, so they just piled it on.

I'd argue it was well within expectations, given the side they put out there, the fact that yet again we lost a player in the warmup (Jack) and the fact that GWS were in fairly decent form coming in.

When they're on, they're bloody good, and the only way to beat them is to tackle and block and scrag them out of Globetrotter mode. We couldn't do it, so they just piled it on.
Is that a serious answer or hindsight answer
I’m thinking that’s a definite hindsight
I didn’t even want to reply to your over analytical bs posts sometimes
Hindsight is a lovely thing

Why say it?
No one, after the good win would have thought, yep we are going to lose by over 100 today. Keep it real

I would suggest I was keeping it real when I called a loss of 100 points. Good win against GC but they aren''t GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that a serious answer or hindsight answer
I’m thinking that’s a definite hindsight
I didn’t even want to reply to your over analytical bs posts sometimes
Hindsight is a lovely thing
Over analytical? Sure, I'll wear that. Hindsight? Nuh-uh.

I've been pretty bloody clear most weeks on how I think the games we've been about to play will go; if our older players play to a par level or better, we go okay and might scrape a win if the opposition is napping (which, funnily enough, is precisely what happened to Essendon. I'm not going to claim the GC as they're as poor as we are). However, if the opposition turn up to play, and those senior players turn the ball over, miss tackles, fail to be effective with their disposal, our losses will get ugly and brutal, the extent of which is usually determined by our opposition's quality in attack.

I don't always post this in the prematch threads, nor do I always put figures on my posts, so there's that for you to chew on. But GWS are top 4, have genuinely the best midfield in terms of individuals in the entire competition without any real rivals there (others have them beaten for plan, setup or depth maybe, but no-one's got that much sheer talent spread available to them) coupled with spread of elite endurance runners who also happen to be decent power athletes and skillful players.

What exactly did you think was going to happen?

By the way, it isn't a sin or a sign of a devil-may-care attitude not to use punctuation. A full stop or two would work wonders.

Over analytical? Sure, I'll wear that. Hindsight? Nuh-uh.

I've been pretty bloody clear most weeks on how I think the games we've been about to play will go; if our older players play to a par level or better, we go okay and might scrape a win if the opposition is napping (which, funnily enough, is precisely what happened to Essendon. I'm not going to claim the GC as they're as poor as we are). However, if the opposition turn up to play, and those senior players turn the ball over, miss tackles, fail to be effective with their disposal, our losses will get ugly and brutal, the extent of which is usually determined by our opposition's quality in attack.

I don't always post this in the prematch threads, nor do I always put figures on my posts, so there's that for you to chew on. But GWS are top 4, have genuinely the best midfield in terms of individuals in the entire competition without any real rivals there (others have them beaten for plan, setup or depth maybe, but no-one's got that much sheer talent spread available to them) coupled with spread of elite endurance runners who also happen to be decent power athletes and skillful players.

What exactly did you think was going to happen?

By the way, it isn't a sin or a sign of a devil-may-care attitude not to use punctuation. A full stop or two would work wonders.

**** you're getting cheeky!

Do your research (everyone). No officials at Carlton have said we will not apply for a priority pick. We've allude to it. We've stated we don't need it, haven't discussed it, aren't interested in it, haven't considered it, don't want to be in that position or want handouts and everything under the sun to detract our interest in it away from giving a straight answer.

If you listen to the interviews and read the articles (quotes only) there's no comments from Carlton declaring that we will not apply for a priority pick.

My take, we have been very political and playing the company line and have been coached on how to handle this question. We detract from it by discussing how we think we have a good young list and don't need it and that's good. The fact every Carlton person replies this way means it's probably been coached into our officials on what to say. Don't say no but say this... It's politics and if they were politicians, the fact that Carlton won't give a straight answer suggests to me that we are definitely going to apply for a priority pick. Like in politics, we have managed to get the media on our side to fit our agenda. The media are pro Carlton priority pick, it's great.

Stating you would want a PP during the season would be the stupidest thing ever. Get the media on your side, then dare the AFL to say no.

The other thing is that noone has asked the relevant people, SOS and McKay about a priority pick. It's their department.

There have been a lot of people stating Carlton will not apply for a priority pick. None of them are employed by Carlton, they have all been people in the media.

Fact check people and please be careful what you believe. A lot of what is written is not true. Agendas and entertainment come before facts in the media.

I'll believe we aren't applying for a PP when an official comes out with a straight answer declaring it. Until then I consider this well played by us.

Yeah nah I think the Pres has been pretty categorical in his statements. Now he has backtracked because he was not consulting with board members when making these statements. Another reason why our club is so rooted, if you aren't all on the same page how can you succeed. It's the story of our club for the past 10 years.

Yeah nah I think the Pres has been pretty categorical in his statements. Now he has backtracked because he was not consulting with board members when making these statements. Another reason why our club is so rooted, if you aren't all on the same page how can you succeed. It's the story of our club for the past 10 years.

Its a misnomer..it was never said by anyone

Last edited by a moderator:
Do your research (everyone). No officials at Carlton have said we will not apply for a priority pick. We've allude to it. We've stated we don't need it, haven't discussed it, aren't interested in it, haven't considered it, don't want to be in that position or want handouts and everything under the sun to detract our interest in it away from giving a straight answer.

If you listen to the interviews and read the articles (quotes only) there's no comments from Carlton declaring that we will not apply for a priority pick.

My take, we have been very political and playing the company line and have been coached on how to handle this question. We detract from it by discussing how we think we have a good young list and don't need it and that's good. The fact every Carlton person replies this way means it's probably been coached into our officials on what to say. Don't say no but say this... It's politics and if they were politicians, the fact that Carlton won't give a straight answer suggests to me that we are definitely going to apply for a priority pick. Like in politics, we have managed to get the media on our side to fit our agenda. The media are pro Carlton priority pick, it's great.

Stating you would want a PP during the season would be the stupidest thing ever. Get the media on your side, then dare the AFL to say no.

The other thing is that noone has asked the relevant people, SOS and McKay about a priority pick. It's their department.

There have been a lot of people stating Carlton will not apply for a priority pick. None of them are employed by Carlton, they have all been people in the media.

Fact check people and please be careful what you believe. A lot of what is written is not true. Agendas and entertainment come before facts in the media.

I'll believe we aren't applying for a PP when an official comes out with a straight answer declaring it. Until then I consider this well played by us.
Exactly what Ive said also...:thumbsu:

As I said, he never made those statements.

We as a Club are very fortunate to have such a level headed / confident and passionate coach - he walks the talk re "Bound by Blue" and hopefully will be the coach in the not too distant future when Carlton is playing for #17.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back