Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he needs to consider dropping the zone for the rest of the year.
That would probably be a good start.

If we’re going to suck, it’s be good if we could at least score as well.

The gameplan is terrible in general, but more concerning is the complete lack of a plan B. Worried he might be too much of an emotional teacher figure without the strategic nous. A perfect assistant coach. A lacking head coach. Team selection alone has been imbalanced and inscrutable.

Club is on a hiding to nothing unfortunately, just need to bank on him turning it around. Sack him and get crucified for not staying the course, keep him and potentially get stuck in this quagmire we find ourselves in. Rough spot.

Don’t think it’ll happen this year but if these results are still happening 12 months down the track, I’d think he’d be in giant trouble.

Today was insipid. He’s got excuses but ultimately, the game plan is just trash. Big year ahead for Bolts imo.
I said same a few weeks back. Can't afford another full season like this next year. The AFL will do a Fitzroy on us.

Game plans are built around players available and their capabilities. This year Bolton has not had AA Docherty in HBF to organise the troops and along with Docherty's absence, developing players with run like Williamason / Byrne/McCreadie and class players like Marchbank have been out with injury - to this you can add Plowman and yesterday Simpson - the loss of ASOS has also removed the option of probably the most experienced and capable hard nut. The defensive structures which looked complete and if anything over engineered have been removed.

Lang and Kennedy have been injured for most of the year and Lang looks like a poor choice based on his few games since returning from an ankle injury. Murphy has been injured and based on yesterday's performance is probably still injured - leaving SPS/Fisher/Dow and LoB all undersized developing forst or second year players to take on much bigger bodied mids - with Cripps and Ed having to work way over sustainable levels to try and keep a semblance of competitiveness.

Bolton has had no engine to base any sort of game plan around.

Up front - Pickett/Garlett were to be the first choice smalls - but Wright and Lamb have had to do most of the year's work - lets not talk about the talls ex Charlie- nothing there.

I cant point a finger at Bolton tbh - not enough proof that wiht Carlton's better players available he cant coach to win - we just don't know.

I can point a finger at SOS and his pathetic journeyman selections - so called lesser light developed bodies capable of playing a role whilst younger stars develop - especially in midfield. O'Shea/Mullett/Graham/Kerrdige/Shaw/Lang - all pretty much dropped from their previous Clubs for lack of ability - sorry SOS your money-ball attempts to date have been epic fails.

Game plans are built around players available and their capabilities. This year Bolton has not had AA Docherty in HBF to organise the troops and along with Docherty's absence, developing players with run like Williamason / Byrne/McCreadie and class players like Marchbank have been out with injury - to this you can add Plowman and yesterday Simpson - the loss of ASOS has also removed the option of probably the most experienced and capable hard nut. The defensive structures which looked complete and if anything over engineered have been removed.

Lang and Kennedy have been injured for most of the year and Lang looks like a poor choice based on his few games since returning from an ankle injury. Murphy has been injured and based on yesterday's performance is probably still injured - leaving SPS/Fisher/Dow and LoB all undersized developing forst or second year players to take on much bigger bodied mids - with Cripps and Ed having to work way over sustainable levels to try and keep a semblance of competitiveness.

Bolton has had no engine to base any sort of game plan around.

Up front - Pickett/Garlett were to be the first choice smalls - but Wright and Lamb have had to do most of the year's work - lets not talk about the talls ex Charlie- nothing there.

I cant point a finger at Bolton tbh - not enough proof that wiht Carlton's better players available he cant coach to win - we just don't know.

I can point a finger at SOS and his pathetic journeyman selections - so called lesser light developed bodies capable of playing a role whilst younger stars develop - especially in midfield. O'Shea/Mullett/Graham/Kerrdige/Shaw/Lang - all pretty much dropped from their previous Clubs for lack of ability - sorry SOS your money-ball attempts to date have been epic fails.

100% Jab.

Those fringe players he's brought in have been a shocking waste and looks like lazy arse recruiting to me. Left us completely without coverage in the mid-forward area.

100% Jab.

Those fringe players he's brought in have been a shocking waste and looks like lazy arse recruiting to me. Left us completely without coverage in the mid-forward area.
A lot of those types tend to fail. Richmond churned through a shitload. If a few more of these make it, it might give us an extra win or two. Would've been nice to recruit some extra guys we see as long termers though.

We just needed a hard nut or two, of the Nathan Jones variety. Durable, hard at it, decent enough at finding the ball and loves the rough stuff.

Surely that's not too much to ask, is it?
Actually yes

He is underrated and very much a great player

Who in the last 10 years at Carlton is the same?

You thing Jones mouldy is easy to get?

A lot of those types tend to fail. Richmond churned through a shitload. If a few more of these make it, it might give us an extra win or two. Would've been nice to recruit some extra guys we see as long termers though.

I would rather have watched some marginal midfielders potentially fail than watch HBFers actually fail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said same a few weeks back. Can't afford another full season like this next year. The AFL will do a Fitzroy on us.
They’ll never do a Fitzroy on us as the afl makes money and e
100% Jab.

Sos had greatpicks at gws
With lower or harder situation atblues maybe he isn’t that awesome as a recruiter

Actually yes

He is underrated and very much a great player

Who in the last 10 years at Carlton is the same?

You thing Jones mouldy is easy to get?
I absolutely rate Jones, but he doesn't have to be Jones. Mitch Robinson is of the same mold; Dom Tyson is of the same mold. I don't require their opt in to the degree that Jones has opted in at Melbourne, I need their attack at the contest and the ball carrier, their possessions - even though they turn the ball over - and I need their two way running.

And I'm not talking about already having one on our list. I'm talking about somehow manufacturing one from the last two trade periods.

Either way, Bolton thread not list management.

Play on, y'all.

Last edited:
They’ll never do a Fitzroy on us as the afl makes money and e

Sos had greatpicks at gws
With lower or harder situation atblues maybe he isn’t that awesome as a recruiter
Every recruiter can get them wrong. Ultimately however we rate SOS he's far and away better than what he replaced.

My concern is the fringe picks. They looked like "eh, who cares, just get some HBF's" or they were deliberately designed to not give us midfield coverage because winning games was not a priority of SOS's.

Given the rumours on here that SOS is a stone cold killer when it comes to list management there's every chance those marginal players were not a mistake.

Yesterday's presser was a concern and a real sign of the pressure building.

Refuting the Lions as a bottom four team because 'they've had a lot of close losses' takes me back to Malthouse's 'they're a very good football team'.

All year he's pushed the rhetoric 'we won't use injuries as an excuse' - nothwitstanding the fact that raising it in every presser has been for that purpose, yesterday there was no faux bravado - he went straight to that as an excuse.

Finally, saying that Carlton fans 'understand where we are at' after that loss is also reminiscent of Malthouse's disconnect with the fan base - no one is understanding of having the biggest losing margin of the round against the 17th placed team.

Cracks well and truly starting to appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back