Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year we won 6 games but led 7 times in last qtrs and lost so you'd expect under normal circumstances aan 8-9 win season. Injuries are an excuse for 5-6 wins, maybe ever 4 at a stretch. Not one! For one win it's a cop out and just covers up other issues. The sides we have sent out are still better than one win. You have to look at what's going on on the field to see we're not exactly progressing. By year 3 there should be enough structure in place, the players should be well drilled enough to partially, obviously not totally, cover for the injury issues as the game is more about the "system" on-field then individuals. All I see is confusion as to the game plan and a lack of effort. That's why we have one win more so than injuries per se. Collingwood and Sydney are alot more talented than us admittedly but they have been smashed by injury but new blokes come in and slot straight into the structure and system and become part of the "chain". Sydney had 9 players on Sunday with had played less than 25 games.
Last year we had* Kruezer have a career best year this year a shadow of last year due to injury and he's out again .
*Gibbs have a ripping year now gone and hasnt been anywhere near adequately replaced hopefully in time Kennedy improves the ledger .
* Murphy win the CFC B+F his season has been ruined this year by injury missing 10 games .
* Then of course Docherty the AA HBF missing the season .
Besides Cripps theres the backbone of your side ripped out .
We held it together last year on the back of our senior players standing up and performing beautifully and enabling our youngsters to contribute .
That has been ripped away this year .
Add the plethora of other injuries weve had not to mention virtually every game has had in game multiple injuries and its not hard to see why weve struggled badly .
Taking all into consideration if you still think we were getting 5-6 wins im suggesting you need a rethink on that judgement ...

Last edited:
I'd say most rational football fans would agree.

If you have a look at the two lists, it shouldn't take you too long to realize they are not even comparable. Apples and oranges.

Have you considered a career with the Herald Sun? This is the sort of untrue rubbish I expect to see written by their 'journalists'.

A number of our younger players have unfortunately not has as a good an opportunity to progress as we would have liked. Very few have actually gone backwards, whilst all of Cripps, Curnow, Fisher, McKay, Kerr, Polson, Dow and O'Brien have progressed.

I'm not concerned at all right now, and think it is only fair we reassess at the end of next year.

Injuries have killed us this year, and too many are too quick to dismiss the impact that can have on a young side. Some will say I am making excuses, but that is the reality.
Interesting that you think Polson has made progress. He’s played exactly the same as he did in his first against Port last year....very poorly and way out of his depth

Improvement each year with exception of 2016 where they didnt fall to last.

Played finals and were competitive throughout.

There only year of slipping they had a thorough review and that lead to a premiership. So yes 7years to premiership but played finals after 3.

Most carlton supporters want to see sustained improvement that's building towards something. Let's see what 2019 brings

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Wasn't the point you made and wasn't what I was responding too

Pointless cherry picking the best aspects of each side's rebuild through history as they are all unique

Yeah you don't trade Gibbs, lose Docherty and for most of the season Murphy and lose your promising young players in Byrne and Williamson and replace them with first year draftees players getting over injuries from other clubs and VFL players and expect improvement. Plus all the other injuries.

You don't improve from the Gibbs trade until those players reach his level of output etc. For 2019 to be an improvement year we would need a good run with injuries. That's the reality of it. 2020 and 2021 we should start to see a good group of players in their prime or coming into it to have enough impact to take the team somewhere plus some quality additions from other sides.

I'd expect 2019 to be a better year pending injuries though you can't discount the impact Thomas, Rowe, Simpson and Murphy have on the team. These guys may start declining in output if they are there at all. These are the big hurdles we will need to overcome to improve as these experienced players still have a big influence on the team.

We will not improve until our player replacing phase is done and we enter a phase were we start increasing the quality and increasing the quality depth of the side and with the players we have lost and the players we are due to lose over the next couple of seasons, we still have our work cut out for us as it's not only those older guys we need to replace but some of those mid to late 20's players who get regular games who are poor quality as well.

Rebuilding AFL clubs have never been so poorly resourced in the history of the game as they are right now so you can't compare us to other clubs. You calculate is as a maths formula, we still have plenty of work to do before improvement becomes a reality.

Great win by GC yesterday , Lions have shown huge improvement in recent months , the Saints are going backwards but they too still smashed the Blues ...

Kane Cornes maybe an idiot but he made a good point the effort is not there and while the players say the right things once they get on the ground the team is in disarray and that is Bolton !!

Point is you can have injuries and be rebuilding but that does not excuse our current onfield performances !!

Great win by GC yesterday , Lions have shown huge improvement in recent months , the Saints are going backwards but they too still smashed the Blues ...

Kane Cornes maybe an idiot but he made a good point the effort is not there and while the players say the right things once they get on the ground the team is in disarray and that is Bolton !!

Point is you can have injuries and be rebuilding but that does not excuse our current onfield performances !!
Whenever you use Kane Cornes to support your argument...

Theres injuries then theres the CFC's injuries.
Short term injuries can be covered by the better sides other sides can still perform well if their injuries dont last a full season as ours have .
Again we have 5 changes not all injured but still 5 changes i wonder what the total of changes made in total for the year is up to?
Young side needs continuity we havent had it at any stage this year .
Just look at the output of our senior group this year compared to last and theres your explanation .
The season is a total write off due to injuries no coach should be judged given the shit sandwich he's been dealt this year .
Wise up to the trolls (media) and dont get sucked in by them .

Yeah you don't trade Gibbs, lose Docherty and for most of the season Murphy and lose your promising young players in Byrne and Williamson and replace them with first year draftees players getting over injuries from other clubs and VFL players and expect improvement. Plus all the other injuries.

You don't improve from the Gibbs trade until those players reach his level of output etc. For 2019 to be an improvement year we would need a good run with injuries. That's the reality of it. 2020 and 2021 we should start to see a good group of players in their prime or coming into it to have enough impact to take the team somewhere plus some quality additions from other sides.

I'd expect 2019 to be a better year pending injuries though you can't discount the impact Thomas, Rowe, Simpson and Murphy have on the team. These guys may start declining in output if they are there at all. These are the big hurdles we will need to overcome to improve as these experienced players still have a big influence on the team.

We will not improve until our player replacing phase is done and we enter a phase were we start increasing the quality and increasing the quality depth of the side and with the players we have lost and the players we are due to lose over the next couple of seasons, we still have our work cut out for us as it's not only those older guys we need to replace but some of those mid to late 20's players who get regular games who are poor quality as well.

Rebuilding AFL clubs have never been so poorly resourced in the history of the game as they are right now so you can't compare us to other clubs. You calculate is as a maths formula, we still have plenty of work to do before improvement becomes a reality.

We are not going to improve until:

- We get our injury diagnosis/management/recovery up to AFL standard.
- The bottom 36-44 players can play defined role work at AFL level.
- The 18-28 list spot talent is similar in output to the 14-18 list spots.

Let's put things in perspective. Last year was an upward step from 2016. We had a relatively healthy list with the exception of losing Cripps for the last month or so. This year, we have had Murphy out for the most part (though I don't see him as adding value in the guts anymore but rather should be played at half forward), we have lost Gibbs (our most durable midfielder), our defence has probably had one to three players from the 6 usually named in defence last year, and we have had injuries to key players (e.g. Kreuzer). Also, to the extent Doc was going to be used in the mid to cover for Gibbs' loss, that went out the door at the start of the year.
We are a side with little to zero depth. That heavily impacts on our structure.
Of the young players that have played consistently this year and whom I believe have gone backwards, SPS, Weitering and JSOS have been poor. If they can't show improvement in 2019, then it is a matter for the club to decide whether they add value to the future.
Of the young players that were recruited or have had limited game time due to an interrupted pre-season, Kennedy has been slowly building up (but nowhere near the expectation placed on him by supporters in the preseason), Lang has been poor (though partially a victim of the expectation and hype placed on him by supporters at the time he was traded) and Pickett is yet to play 4-quarter footy in the sense that he fades out after two quarters.
I won't bother analysing O'Shea and Mullett because I genuinely believe (and SOS' comments on footy classfied confirmed it for me) that there was never an intention for them to play senior footy at the time of recruitment.
Dow and LOB have shown great signs for first year players.
I think overall that 2018 is a disappointing write-off but it would be inappropriate to fall victim to the media's bait suggesting we have got it all wrong, given the context of this year alone.
We do need to be realistic about our players and not look at them through the "potential" lens but more so on the "output" lens. And I think next year will help to club to ascertain where our players fit for the future.
If we can land a couple guns through trade/FA then that will have immediate benefits on field, but hope can't be pinned on that variable.

All in all, if we start axing the coach or overthrowing the president now, then that just smacks of the Carlton of old and it would legitimise the perception of critics that we have a poor culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think he coached particularly bad today. The effort was there most of the time along with the plan to rebound through the corridor - the players just couldn't hit targets.

He's had the year from hell and dare say he has learned plenty and will be better off for it, but he definitely needs better assistants - having said that we went and got David Teague this year and that hasn't seemed to improve anything.

He’s got the first half of next season to show significant improvement or he’s out the door. I understand the injuries and all of that but right now the players aren’t anywhere near the level required to play AFL footy in terms of strategy and cohesion and unfortunately he’s in charge of that.

The zone.... it’s a disaster teams walk through it.
The skill level is atrocious
The confidence of the players and the club is at an all time low.
Right now the rebuild is failing as it stands. Next year is year 4 and if it doesn’t improve heads will roll and bolts will be first.

Please Brendon, NO ZONE this week, for the love of God just put it away for one game so we can have a chance of winning a game of football for us diehards to cling on to some sort of hope.

Players are not playing for their coach !!

Rubbish.

Lack of effort wasn’t the issue today. Won the contested ball & broke even with tackles.

He’s got the first half of next season to show significant improvement or he’s out the door.

Can’t help but feel sorry for the club.

Doesn’t matter how many times they say it, some still believe they’ll go back on their word.

I guess they’ve made their own reputation through bad mistakes in decades gone by, but it’d be a stunning reversal if we went back on our word here. And a huge mistake.

His presser today was a shocker - looked very rattled, and some of his responses lacked coherence in respect to the questions asked.

The rhetoric has completely changed from 'we're not going to make excuses' to spending half every presser rattling them out.

The club locked itself into backing this appointment before it was made; I understand why we're backing him in as our man, unfortunately I just don't think he's our man.

He’s got the first half of next season to show significant improvement or he’s out the door. I understand the injuries and all of that but right now the players aren’t anywhere near the level required to play AFL footy in terms of strategy and cohesion and unfortunately he’s in charge of that.

The zone.... it’s a disaster teams walk through it.
The skill level is atrocious
The confidence of the players and the club is at an all time low.
Right now the rebuild is failing as it stands. Next year is year 4 and if it doesn’t improve heads will roll and bolts will be first.
I love Bolton as much as anyone but I think you're right. If we haven't shown improvement by the halfway mark of next year I think he'll be gone.
For all we know Craig was the brains behind everything so maybe assistants are the thing we really need.
ATM the zone is a mess and we aren't dangerous in attack and we are easy to score against. It's a nothing gameplan regardless of the cattle we are playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back