Brent Reilly - where is he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is only here because Adelaide had a win, the younger guys did alright and this board needs a fall guy.
I’m not looking forward to the first week that some of our newbie’s have a bad game or we have an extended losing streak because clearly people are looking for a reason to drag players down and by the end of the season we will have delisted everyone and be wanting players picked up the rookie draft because they are “hidden gems”.

I can't tell if it's funny or tragic.

People! Relax! First real game of the season, he didn't do amazingly but he wasn't terrible. He's had two seasons up and down with injury, let him get back into the swing of it. FFS, someone named Walker had less possessions, i vote we delist him and pick up some bloke my cousin's ex-girlfriend's little brother met at the pub once. He may not have got Gary Ablett Jr's possession count this weekend, but who does?

I didn't think Reilly was brilliant on Saturday, but neither was he awful.

He didn't really line up across half back when the ball was in the centre during the match, but most of his possessions were probably behind centre. I wonder if that's because of where he set up in the zone defensively.

Personally, I'd rather see him more towards wing/half forward because he's the best kick on the run at goals out of any of our midfielders, and one of the better weighters of a pass to a leading forward in the side. Or else employed in the Edwards/Vince role in the centre of the zone, so if a turnover is forced he can be the free man in the middle on the switch of play.

I am in the camp that doesn't tend to rate Reilly as high as others despite his great kicking.

Having said that, he played ok and wouldn't be thought of being dropped if we didn't have first-choice players returning from injury/other reasons...but we do, so someone is gonna be unlucky.

As has been mentioned, Reilly is a much bigger unit these days (probably in a frustrated attempt to avoid so many impact injuries). I believe he looks very slow out there. Has never been quick and his increased size has exacerbated this. Perhaps his lack of game play over the past year found him a little off the pace also, and his decison-making will likely quicken over the next few weeks.

We already have some slower mids so i am not sure Reilly can spend too much time in there unless its as a rotation with another slow, inside player such as Thompson. Perhaps these guys can rotate middle/HFF/bench, as i do like the thought of Reilly gaining possession in the front half of centre and spearing the ball into the leading Walker/Hentschel/Stevens/Tippett/Porplyzia!

Alternatively, Reilly may find a home deeper in defence as a big, mid-height player in the Firrito mould (though he may be a touch short), who can then rebound out of defence. Maybe a Massie type replacement. As long as his lack of pace doesn't cost him. One problem is that Otten has quickly become first-choice for this type of role imo (assuming Stevens in the 'go everywhere' role).

Gonna be an intruiging year for Reilly, has a lot to offer, i hope he finds his niche.

Even without that consideration, Reilly played statistically as good a game as MacKay, yet there is no thread about where MacKay is at.
You're not comparing apples with apples.

Mackay is in his 2nd season, Reilly is in his 8th.

I'm not saying Reilly was the worst player in the team. As you said, he probably was better than Mackay...BUT considering where he is at in his career, you should be expecting that...and more.

Reilly was fine on the weekend. He's playing his role pretty well. It's safe to say that blokes like Vince, VB and Mackay are taking over as the more elite mids/wingers that we wanted Reilly to be. But you need the 15-20 touches a game, in and under runners as well as your looser players. If anything, Reilly has actually changed his game from a front runner to tougher, more defensive player. He can play the way he's been playing for years to come as far as I'm concerned.

You're not comparing apples with apples.

Mackay is in his 2nd season, Reilly is in his 8th.

I'm not saying Reilly was the worst player in the team. As you said, he probably was better than Mackay...BUT considering where he is at in his career, you should be expecting that...and more.

Its MacKays 3rd actually.

If Reilly stays fit Im sure he will get back to his best. He needs to have a good year because he is at the crossroads and Im sure he knows that. Lets give him a few weeks before we start calling him Jericho. Remember last year the calls by a certain few on here to delist Edwards!

I think some people need to calm down. He had a quiet game, not a bad game and he certainly wasn't the worst player out there on Saturday. He's gone from the midfield to the defence this year, so give him a couple of games to settle before you call for his dropping. IMO he shouldn't be in defence anyway - he's better up the field, but Craigy think he'd be better down in defence, so we'll have to be patient to see how he goes.

Reilly, for a player of his experience, was ordinary. I was not surprised to see this thread, as I thought the same thing when watching the game.

he might have good skills in training, but his execution and decision making on the weekend was not where anyone would want.

its early in the season, but he'd be looking over his shoulder if things don't improve.

IMO people need to get of Radar's back

Radar is a quality player and his foot skills are critical to ensure that we can break oppositions zones

yes he had a quiet game but in any win their are always one or two blokes that may have less than an impact then others

Radar's role in the side is changing however he will remain a very valuable player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez people, give the guy a break! He played one relatively quiet game and people are calling for his head. Anyone who thinks Cook should be picked ahead of Radar is kidding themselves, sure the kid had a decent game and looks to have a bright future, but right now he is not in our best 22.
And whilst we're on the subject of Reilly's decision making and disposal, does anyone want to talk about Chris Knights?

Jeez people, give the guy a break! He played one relatively quiet game and people are calling for his head. Anyone who thinks Cook should be picked ahead of Radar is kidding themselves, sure the kid had a decent game and looks to have a bright future, but right now he is not in our best 22.
And whilst we're on the subject of Reilly's decision making and disposal, does anyone want to talk about Chris Knights?
Yep, better disposal efficiency last year than both Reilly and Chris Judd.

On the weekend:

Chris Knights 26 touches @ 85% including 7 inside 50's.
Chris Judd 23 touches @ 74% including 5 inside 50's.

Yep, better disposal efficiency last year than both Reilly and Chris Judd.

On the weekend:

Chris Knights 26 touches @ 85% including 7 inside 50's.
Chris Judd 23 touches @ 74% including 5 inside 50's.

Disposal accuracy is as far as i can see an entirely meaningless stat. It in no way takes into account the level of difficulty of whats being attempted, or whether or not it was the best option available.

Disposal accuracy is as far as i can see an entirely meaningless stat. It in no way takes into account the level of difficulty of whats being attempted, or whether or not it was the best option available.
I agree to an extent, but it's the best I have.

Anyway, my point is Brent Reilly needs to lift (and to all of those putting 2 and 2 togethor, I'm not calling for him to be dropped - as I said... he was not our worst, what I'm saying is if he doesn't lift, then eventually a junior will surpass him with their natural development).

sorry dude, that's why it is precisely not a meaningless stat.

the difficulty of what's being attempted might just be the wrong option - low % choices are bad for the team, or at least far more often than not.

sorry dude, that's why it is precisely not a meaningless stat.

the difficulty of what's being attempted might just be the wrong option - low % choices are bad for the team, or at least far more often than not.

Yet at the same time theres nothing that makes a high % choice necessarily the right one.

If i have the ball 60 out, and choose to kick 15 metres backwards to a player, missing the guy standing unmarked 30 out directly in front, have i really made the best option? I dont feel a blanket percentage stat can properly demontrate whether or not a guy has used the ball well in an AFL game.

Edit: To add a relevant example, there was a moment in the third quarter where Knights couldnt see van Berlo unmarked on the wing... Now im fairly sure Knights hit his next target, but the scoring drive came to very little, because that guy really had nothing on. Had he found van Berlo, it was almost certainly a shot at goal. Thats recorded as an effective disposal, but id view it as a missed opportunity.

Just a thought, and i was at the game and haven't seen the replay yet, but Reilly played back in defence, presumably on one of C'woods small fwds who were a concern according to this board before the game.

As i recall none of their small fwds did any real damage which would indicate to me that Reilly, among others played his role negating his opponent rather well. Stats from the game aren't bad but if his role was more of a negating role you wouldn't expect him to rack up huge stats.

Quite possibly he played his 'role' very well.

Dangerous to draw conclusions based on one game

Otherwise we'd be sending Tippett to the SANFL and I assume no-one is suggesting that?

I thought Reilly started really well and then dropped out a bit but it depends on what his role was as to how he really performed

Dangerous to draw conclusions based on one game

Otherwise we'd be sending Tippett to the SANFL and I assume no-one is suggesting that?

I thought Reilly started really well and then dropped out a bit but it depends on what his role was as to how he really performed
It's not based on one game.

He has had about 3 or 4 years now where at the start of the year we are saying 'this is Reilly's big break out year' and each year you just get the feeling 'oh i guess it's gonna be next year'.

He hasn't had a standout pre season in the games that have been played, and continued that 'OK' form into the Collingwood game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brent Reilly - where is he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back