Brereton gives us a belt.

Remove this Banner Ad

If Harvey doesn't defend why should the others?

Same reason he shouldn't ruck....although he has actually done that this year. ;)

pretty piss poor effort to target Harvey (dejavu from few years ago) and NDS instead of targetting the players who have actually under performed. Petrie, Basti, Black, Adams

Agree, it was selective crap with very little research.

Brereton chose to get publicity for his article instead of writing an article that actually identifies the real problem with Nth Melbourne.

Same reason he shouldn't ruck....although he has actually done that this year. ;)

Good coaches identify the weaknesses in the opposition structure and that's a weakness and achilles heal. A couple of week links in defensive acts can bring the whole structure down.

Top score assists since '03 B.Harvey 369 G. Ablett 367 N. Riewoldt 328 C. Judd 327 D. Giansiracusa 323 S. Johnson 308. Champion data
Selfish bastard.

Im happy to say that I enjoy Dermie's opinions I find myself agreeing more often than not.......is Boomer greedy? -->yes, was Bartlett greedy?--> yes was Mathews greedy?--> yes.

all greats of the game........big deal.
Spot light has be shone in our direction.....we have to cop everything that comes our way....we deserve it, and Brereton has to write something this week, good luck to him he gets paid for it.
Its not his opinions i dont enjoy, its the way he craps on and on about **** all until he gets to his point. Also talks like he invented the game lol

Top score assists since '03 B.Harvey 369 G. Ablett 367 N. Riewoldt 328 C. Judd 327 D. Giansiracusa 323 S. Johnson 308. Champion data
Steve Johnson would surely lead goal assists in that time. His numbers are ridiculous. Also just noticed that he hasn't played in a win over us since 2009, sucked in.

I agree with the majority of comments on here.

Dermie is a tosser.....agree
The tossers article is spot on.......agree
<snip>
Put it this way, how many times have we seen Boomer running flat out with ball in had? Hundreds.
How many times have we seen Boomer running flat out to chase down an opponent? None that I can think of.
He has done at least one :)

They don't have the same team demography as Hawthorn's at all. He creates that stat by pretending "50-200 games" is a thing. A 200 game player has been playing for more than seven seasons longer than a 50 game player - they aren't in the same demographic by any stretch. Hawthorn had the nucleus of this team when they won the flag in 2008. At the same time, North had barely started recruiting the nucleus of this side.

No, I'm not buying that. Not for a second
Harvey Wells Petrie Swallow Thomas Thompson Goldstein Hansen Grima Adams were all at the club in 2008.
I'm not sure who you think the nucleus of our team actually is but I would have thought the majority of the afore-mentioned players are in it.
The coach certainly believes this if the decision to top up with Dal Santo is any indication of where he sees the teams development.
The players recruited from 2008 onwards are still mostly kids. Not the nucleus.
Scott has had 5 years to build a powerful team around this nucleus and establish a fanatical, professional culture within the group.
I would argue he has done neither.

No, I'm not buying that. Not for a second
Harvey Wells Petrie Swallow Thomas Thompson Goldstein Hansen Grima Adams were all at the club in 2008.
I'm not sure who you think the nucleus of our team actually is but I would have thought the majority of the afore-mentioned players are in it.
The coach certainly believes this if the decision to top up with Dal Santo is any indication of where he sees the teams development.
The players recruited from 2008 onwards are still mostly kids. Not the nucleus.
Scott has had 5 years to build a powerful team around this nucleus and establish a fanatical, professional culture within the group.
I would argue he has done neither.

You can actually take it further and count how many players brought in under Scott are core members of the team now?

I'd say Cunnington is it. Maybe MacMillan. Basti was last year but has slipped out. Black is still not a reliable stand and deliver player. Atley is showing good signs but is still developing.

So either the list wasn't that bad in 2009 or few have developed since that time to plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good article by Brereton.

I think Boomer in recent years has been more unselfish. He got that wrong.

Certainly agree with his Dal Santo clip.

So many posters here overrate how good he has been. Flashy footwork aside, his downhill skiing and refusal to get his hands dirty has been very disappointing, if not unexpected.

So many posters here overrate how good he has been. Flashy footwork aside, his downhill skiing and refusal to get his hands dirty has been very disappointing, if not unexpected.
I don't think Dal Santo is a problem - it's some people expectation of him that is. And he shouldn't have been in the leadership group IMO. He was recruited as a cream on top of the cake type player. A quality ball user and outside run provider. He didn't come to a new club to get his head smashed getting inside ball or to bust his legs chasing backsides. He came to provide some class, expecting that we already had the cake, and he was just there to provide cream. If the cake turned out to be under cooked and needs to go back to the oven, that's hardly his fault.

Agree but he's probably been lauded by Brad after every game. Can't challenge our much vaunted signing.

Agree but he's probably been lauded by Brad after every game. Can't challenge our much vaunted signing.

Wouldn't surprise me.

I think the signing epitomises where we are at as a club.

Dal can play and finish well no doubt, but we had enough soft front running players who aren't accountable. So we bring in the ultimate version to cap it off.

Put it this way, how many times have we seen Boomer running flat out with ball in had? Hundreds.
How many times have we seen Boomer running flat out to chase down an opponent? None that I can think of.
I'm okay with him not running as well defensively as offensively, given his role and value to the team. And/but, I reckon the past two years he has improved his game in this respect to a significant degree. It isn't always running hard/fast to defend, though I think he's been doing this more, but in his tackling and commitment to tackling. Not only are his numbers 'career best', so too is his all round game.

I don't mind the general bake that Dermie gave, but I'd rather he zeroed in on the likes of Bastinac, Cunnington and Ziebell, more than LT or Boomer whose efforts and capacities have (too) often been the difference in a positive sense.

Brereton's neurons are firing but there just aren't enough of them to light that bulb in his noggin, he knows there is a problem but he has fired the journalistic shotgun in the general direction without actually hitting the mark.

We deserve a spray and whilst Boomer was poor last week with his defensive efforts on Greene who ran off him, there is too much pressure on him to do extremely well for our side to win. There are too many ineffectual guys who are the weak links in the chain. Adans, McKenzie and Bastinac did nothing, it is like being 3 short before the ball is bounced. We carry too many underperforming players always expecting them to extract the digit but they just don't reach an acceptable consistent standard.

On top of those who offer us nothing, we still have a number who offer us very little. Black has been woeful, Mullett and to a lesser degress Atley defensively do not offer us very much, Thompson has had a shocker of a season, so bad that even without Hansen, Grima and an injured rookie in Tippett the club still had zero faith on him on the opposition's mediocre full forward.

For the near-rabble side we are it is amazing we are in the top 8 and have beaten some of the sides we have. Now and then they extract the digit, usually after being lambasted by the media for pathetic performances. But, the team needs better incentive to perform other than being ridiculed for being crap. If that is the only way players can extract the digit then welcome to Mediocreville.

Who's Derp working for tonight? Fox Footy? That'd be worth emailing their way, or tweeting to FoxFooty, for their pre-game discussion.

Just on SEN, Harford asking if the coach would ram home similar points in the article, Derm immediately goes on asking the question about whether champions are untouchable....

2 shit axes to grind in article full of obvious points...

Remove this Banner Ad

Brereton gives us a belt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back