Toast Brett Ratten - The Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts on this

Great video Wook. I couldn't agree more. Given that Ratts is gone, I am happy that we have picked up Malthouse, who is a great coach as well. However, it never should have come to that. Brett Ratten should still be the head coach of the Carlton Football Club. Lets be honest about this. We had a horrendous run of injuries in 2012, as Wookie highlighted in that video. With that sort of injury list, it's a credit to Ratten that we finished the season where we did. We not only lost a lot of players to injury, we lost a lot of our most important, key players. We blooded more youth than I can even remember at the moment, and still only fell out of the finals race a week or two before the end of the season. Great work Ratts. You're a true Blue if ever there was one, and you've given everything you have to this club as a player and as a coach. There were plenty of so-called "supporters" on this board, and no doubt elsewhere, who stabbed you in the back, kicked you when we were down and put all the blame on you, and through it all you showed the heart, class and love for this club that not many people have. There certainly are a lot of spineless, fake "fans" who should be ashamed of themselves for all but pushing you out the door. I wonder how long it will take before they start calling for Malthouse's head if we don't win the premiership?

That's fairly damning of Ratts' then

I guess the average punter will have no idea what the relationship between the two was like.

Either that or Icke had a chip on his shoulder because it was fairly damning that the club got rid of him. ..We just don't know. ..

Seems Ratts pulled out of PA job to safe face knowing he wasn't going to get the gig. Sounds like he has a gig at the Goldcoast. The main thing is he has a gig, good luck to him.

Seems Ratts pulled out of PA job to safe face knowing he wasn't going to get the gig. Sounds like he has a gig at the Goldcoast. The main thing is he has a gig, good luck to him.

As much as people are loath to write-off Ratts - no one wants to kill Bambi - maybe we are seeing signs that educated judges, who are seeing Rattens efforts first hand, are concluding that he just doesn't have it !

I can believe the rumour that his presentation to the Port board was poor. I confess I'm a snob when it comes to speech and grammar but Rattens method of delivery - at least in public - is poor. I find it convoluted and confusing which gives some credence to the talk that the players found him and his tactics overly complicated.

As much as people are loath to write-off Ratts - no one wants to kill Bambi - maybe we are seeing signs that educated judges, who are seeing Rattens efforts first hand, are concluding that it just doesn't have it !

I can believe the rumour that his presentation to the Port board was poor. I confess I'm a snob when it comes to speech and grammar but Rattens method of delivery - at least in public - is poor. I find it convoluted and confusing which gives some credence to the talk that the players found him and his tactics overly complicated.

Well put. They would have done their due diligence and weighed up Brett's strengths, weaknesses and no doubt contacted his assistants etc. They then said no thanks which I find surprising, but there must have been enough concerns raised.

As much as people are loath to write-off Ratts - no one wants to kill Bambi - maybe we are seeing signs that educated judges, who are seeing Rattens efforts first hand, are concluding that he just doesn't have it !

I take it everybody at Carlton were uneducated because he seemed to have 'it' enough to be extended twice.

I don't get this either. Ratten always sounded calm and articulate during his press conferences. I don't recall hearing a single thing where I thought 'what are you on about?' or cringed when he spoke.

As for his tactics being overly complicated, we go from there to the constant assertions that he was devoid of ideas. These notions are poles apart. At any rate, he had enough ideas that weren't overly complicated to take us from the bottom of the ladder to 3 points away from a prelim, so that can't have been all luck.

Well put. They would have done their due diligence and weighed up Brett's strengths, weaknesses and no doubt contacted his assistants etc. They then said no thanks which I find surprising, but there must have been enough concerns raised.

We don't really know do we? Funny how people are so prepared to believe rumoured problems with Icke or Tredrea's assertions in order to denigrate Ratten. Not sure why we can't say 'we don't know' and leave a thread designed to appreciate him for that very purpose.

I'm reminded of Knights getting the Bombers job over Hardwick, allegedly because he talked up their prospects more. One is still coaching. I am reminded also of Parkin returning to Carlton the second time after telling the board he doesn't think much of our list or prospects. He was appointed on the back of his brutal honesty as the board agreed with his evaluation.

Ratten might have withdrawn because he was unimpressed with Port's assessment of themselves or because another job came up that seemed to be a better stepping stone. Does he want to move his family to Adelaide or the Gold Coast? When his other kids visit, would they prefer Adelaide or the Gold Coast?

We really do not know.

Clubs do there homework Ratts has a lot to learn...
And yet he was extended twice at Carlton, under the eye of Sticks, Swan, Dick Pratt. I really do not see the point in these posts.

And yet he was extended twice at Carlton, under the eye of Sticks, Swan, Dick Pratt. I really do not see the point in these posts.
Let's look ahead guy's exciting times's around the corner not only Mick can't wait to get stuck into it player's rapt he's on board

I thought we were looking ahead, thus the pointlessness of speculating about Ratten's shortcomings.

This thread will be closed shortly, especially if Ratts gets the assistant job at GCS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's look ahead guy's exciting times's around the corner not only Mick can't wait to get stuck into it player's rapt he's on board
So lets all dance like crazy on the grave of a Carlton champion who got shafted because certain people in positions of influence at the club decided that we needed a more experienced coach... a coach who had a worse win/loss ratio than Ratts at the same point in their careers.

I bet that it's the same people who decided, along with 'Big' Jack, that we needed a big name coach in Pagan to distract us from the fact that we had just won our first wooden spoon in 106 years because of shit recruiting for the prior 5 years and sticking with the old 'Lets trade for experienced players with 2-3 maybe 4-5 years max left in their careers' method of recruiting players to the club.

At least Ratts served the club for 24.5 years with all his heart and soul.

If we dont win the premiership in 2013, I will be writing to the club asking why we sacked Ratts and picked up Malthouse as our head coach. I want to know why we sacked someone who had 12 months left on his contract for someone who did exactly the same job that Ratts would have done if he had been left in charge of a full list without any serious injuries (if there were no serious injuries next year). I am willing to bet my entire salary for the next 12 months that I dont get a valid reason why Ratts was sacked and replaced by Malthouse. I bet that I will get a bunch of waffle about how Malthouse is an awesome coach and the club deserves someone like him.

And I am also willing to bet that all the w***ers who were calling for the sacking of Ratts will be starting to bitch and moan about Malthouse and how he hasnt gotten us a premiership already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back