Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Approx how much does the cricket provide of the Gabba's income stream vs the Lions? Is our 2 million going to cause a hole or will they just rent it out to other people for even more?

I would imagine that they would simply redevelop and allocate the space on that side of the ground (eg our admin spaces) to new spaces and uses when they do whatever link they will provide with the cross river rail. Id envisage that there would be some major infrastructure added over main st linking the rail/buses and the gabba and the main entry to the ground would probably end up on the second level right where our admin facilities are. Given the real lack of facilities compared to other stadiums they would be severly remiss not to completely revamp that whole side of the ground especially when they can't do any extension over the two roads or the school on the other side of the ground. That side where the nets, park and QCC car park are is probably there only chance to pack in the sort of areas and spaces required of modern day stadiums IMO. but thats me mainly speculating. Facilities under the gabba would stay the same mostly i would say as they still need to provide rooms and recovery spaces to teams playing there. They could always incorprate some office facilities for stadiums qld there, as they currently occupy some floors in the building right next to the QLD cricketers club and at suncorp stadium.

In an odd way, this is my favourite thread on all of BigFooty.

Springfield is certainly an attractive proposition, far greater than persevering with the unsustainable status quo. I live only two blocks away from the Yeronga ground - and as much as I would like to see the base developed there, I accept that it is not going to happen.

I know I will draw the ire of some people on this thread (and that is okay), but I still see Yeronga as a valuable and viable option worthy of further consideration.

Almost two years ago, I attempted to contact the Lions with an offer to provide some feedback regarding the search for a new training and administration location for the Club. Unfortunately, I never received a response of any form. (I'm quite happy for Lions_Insider to be tagged in with this post for future reference.)

If you think only in terms of what is contained within the current boundaries of the Cansdale Street venue, then your vision is too narrow. My proposal included neighbouring fields (and assistance for any affected organisations), Fehlberg Park, Yeronga Memorial Park (including the Yeronga Olympic Pool), current and future business and residential redevelopment within the suburb, readily accessible hospitals and facilities, transport, and even branding the local train station. The final item may seem paltry now, but takes on greater significance in light of the Cross River Rail that will eventually access a new Woolloongabba station.

However, most importantly, a good amount of focus was given to the site of the abandoned Yeronga TAFE. The Queensland State Government is keen for an infrastructure solution for this wasted site. Presented in the right manner, the inclusion of the Yeronga TAFE site in a plan could provide a Win-Win-Win situation for the State Government, the Brisbane Lions, and Australian Football in South-East Queensland. Potentially, it could also provide the required motivation for the State Government to financially support such a project.

I know all of this commentary will ultimately come to naught (much of it having been discussed previously), but I wanted to share it regardless. And even if the Yeronga location was completely rejected as the future direction of the Lions, further development within the area would be a marvellous bonus for Australian Football in our state.

Even if Yeronga was suitable the support (money) isn't there for us to spend $70mil. Probably more of there are flooding issues. A lot more.

The flooding issue can be overcome but the funding issue is with ANY new facility including Springfield.

Yes, but it's a huge part of the reason we've locked in Springfield. Peppercorn lease, regional development making it more attractive for government money, council money, etc.

Plus we don't have to spend additional money ensuring the carpark doesn't flood in the summer.

The flooding issue can be overcome but the funding issue is with ANY new facility including Springfield.

The funding situation with Springfield is way more advanced than anywhere else.

Free land from Springfield Land Corporation and 15 million from the Ipswich City Council.

Nothing close to that on offer anywhere else, and believe me they have looked.

Tell me again please, how we are so lucky as to be gifted free land that must be worth millions. Nothing dodgy that could come back to haunt us down the track I would hope.

...just keep thinking of the land deal that Bomber Thompson and Dodoro are involved in, got approx $7mil each, and the talk of how dodgy it seems.

Tell me again please, how we are so lucky as to be gifted free land that must be worth millions.

They supply the land, we supply the community sporting facility and the prestige of a national sporting brand being based in their city.

It's not an unprecedented arrangement.

I think a lot of people are still missing the real bonus of the Springfield deal. This is as much now about financing the club going forward as it is about a new training & admin base. Even if we were to get funding for Yeronga, that would only give us the T&A location. Springfield is much more lucrative than that.

The club expects that a very significant portion of its revenue as an organisation in coming years will come from tenants at the Springfield location along with other commercial agreements. This isn't about just finding an oval, it's essentially about the Brisbane Lions becoming a business making money off things other than football. With the potential we have out there, we could go from the poorest club in the league to one of the wealthiest. It's quite a remarkable proposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The funding situation with Springfield is way more advanced than anywhere else.

Free land from Springfield Land Corporation and 15 million from the Ipswich City Council.

Nothing close to that on offer anywhere else, and believe me they have looked.
No arguement to that BUT they are still not there yet with funding and doubts about whether they ever will....believe me.:thumbsu:

I think a lot of people are still missing the real bonus of the Springfield deal. This is as much now about financing the club going forward as it is about a new training & admin base. Even if we were to get funding for Yeronga, that would only give us the T&A location. Springfield is much more lucrative than that.

The club expects that a very significant portion of its revenue as an organisation in coming years will come from tenants at the Springfield location along with other commercial agreements. This isn't about just finding an oval, it's essentially about the Brisbane Lions becoming a business making money off things other than football. With the potential we have out there, we could go from the poorest club in the league to one of the wealthiest. It's quite a remarkable proposition.
I dont think many can argue with you about Springfield being the best option available to us right now. But I do think that a lot of us are wanting some progress rather than the stagnant situation we are in now. Its been a long, drawn out saga that right now doesn't really have an ending yet.

I dont think many can argue with you about Springfield being the best option available to us right now. But I do think that a lot of us are wanting some progress rather than the stagnant situation we are in now. Its been a long, drawn out saga that right now doesn't really have an ending yet.
It's not exactly stagnant though. The training and admin base will be built. The only question mark is whether the stadium and lights (and other bits & pieces) will be done now as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back