Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

If underwear is anything like mouthguards, then Cuts is a North Melbourne supporter.

The only non Queenslander on our list who supported the Lions before being drafted!

If underwear is anything like mouthguards, then Cuts is a North Melbourne supporter.
He's just putting his 2018 season predictions on display. North to finish up on the bottom.

Well I'll be a monkeys uncle............blow me over with a feather........would love to see those stats. I think the registrar may have been somewhat confused but I hope not for the sake of our future.

I've been looking for confirmation and have found the below which shows my source was close enough for me to have continued faith in their comments. My source said QLD has the highest number of female AFL players/participants.The following quotes are from this report:
http://[NB: girlsplayfooty domain h...-2017-womens-footy-participation-figures.html
  • "463,364 females took part in either organised community leagues, school competitions, AFL9’s, footy clinics or Auskick." This is nationwide.
  • "As expected, Victoria leads with way for female participation with 108,021, representing almost a quarter of the nationwide total."
  • " female participation tops 100,000 in the combined Queensland and Northern Rivers of NSW"
  • "Although being responsible for more than 20 per cent of all female participation nationwide, the state (Qld) currently only has one AFLW side (Brisbane Lions); that will change with the announcement a few months ago that the Gold Coast Suns will join AFLW in 2020."
  • "Queensland’s participation figures hint at a forthcoming headache for the AFL, as in 2020 (under the current state based draft pools) a female in Queensland would have a 1 in 1,680 chance of being drafted, while a female in Victoria would have a 1 in 450 chance, due to Victoria having eight AFLW teams and Queensland only two, despite also having the same number of female participants in Victoria."

No wonder the AFL are up here trying to get the funding - QLD is central to the development of female talent.
So, Dear Mr Whiting, write us a story about how Qld is an AFLW development hot spot and Qld women will be able to lead the national competition if they have the support of the government with a training and playing facility. And send a hundred copies directly to the premier please.

Last edited:

I've been looking for confirmation and have found the below which shows my source was close enough for me to have continued faith in their comments. They said QLD the most but actually 108,021 Vic vs 100,000+ in QLD. Not idea why no precise figure for Qld given.

Also, Dear Mr Whiting, write us a story about this and send a copy to the premier please. No wonder the AFL are up here trying to get the funding. QLD is central to the development of female talent.

http://[NB: girlsplayfooty domain h...-2017-womens-footy-participation-figures.html

463,364 females took part in either organised community leagues, school competitions, AFL9’s, footy clinics or Auskick.

As expected, Victoria leads with way for female participation with 108,021, representing almost a quarter of the nationwide total.

A 16 per cent increase has seen female participation top 100,000 in the combined Queensland and Northern Rivers of NSW figures, representing almost 40 per cent of all participants for that region.

Although being responsible for more than 20 per cent of all female participation nationwide, the state currently only has one AFLW side (Brisbane Lions); that will change with the announcement a few months ago that the Gold Coast Suns will join AFLW in 2020.

Queensland’s participation figures hint at a forthcoming headache for the AFL, as in 2020 (under the current state based draft pools) a female in Queensland would have a 1 in 1,680 chance of being drafted, while a female in Victoria would have a 1 in 450 chance, due to Victoria having eight AFLW teams and Queensland only two, despite also having the same number of female participants in Victoria.
Somewhat confusing but thanks Gadz.

I've been looking for confirmation and have found the below which shows my source was close enough for me to have continued faith in their comments. They said QLD the most but actually 108,021 Vic vs 100,000+ in QLD. Not idea why no precise figure for Qld given.

Also, Dear Mr Whiting, write us a story about this and send a copy to the premier please. No wonder the AFL are up here trying to get the funding. QLD is central to the development of female talent.

463,364 females took part in either organised community leagues, school competitions, AFL9’s, footy clinics or Auskick.

As expected, Victoria leads with way for female participation with 108,021, representing almost a quarter of the nationwide total.

A 16 per cent increase has seen female participation top 100,000 in the combined Queensland and Northern Rivers of NSW figures, representing almost 40 per cent of all participants for that region.

Although being responsible for more than 20 per cent of all female participation nationwide, the state currently only has one AFLW side (Brisbane Lions); that will change with the announcement a few months ago that the Gold Coast Suns will join AFLW in 2020.

Queensland’s participation figures hint at a forthcoming headache for the AFL, as in 2020 (under the current state based draft pools) a female in Queensland would have a 1 in 1,680 chance of being drafted, while a female in Victoria would have a 1 in 450 chance, due to Victoria having eight AFLW teams and Queensland only two, despite also having the same number of female participants in Victoria.
I’m curious what a they consider a participant to be? Seems like they’re including anyone who joined a session at a school or walked past a football at rebel sport.

I’m curious what a they consider a participant to be? Seems like they’re including anyone who joined a session at a school or walked past a football at rebel sport.

maybe - but at least they are comparing the same thing across all the states so it still shows the high proportion of females we have up here. And higher rates in Auskick and school competitions surely leads to more adult females playing the game.

This article (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-30/football-participation-hits-record-numbers) says "A total of 1,547,915 participated in 2017" so it is using the same language for counting total participation. The below is information from the article:

2017%20AFL%20Participation%20Infographic.JPG

That number for VIC seems incredibly high compared to the others - I was under the impression QLD in particular had one of or was the highest participation rate of female AFL players, hence the quality and quantity of local based players that are in our AFLW team?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$400m into the Suns over their seven year existence? Wonder what we have received over that time.

Far out that's a lot of money. I love sport and think the social benefits and health benefits are worth investing in at both community and individual level. But how many families could get off the streets and into basic accomodation for that amount of coin?

Say $500 per kid means 800 000 kids could be subsidised into sport.

Actually makes me uncomfortable. Almost half a billion dollars on one club. Wow.

Far out that's a lot of money. I love sport and think the social benefits and health benefits are worth investing in at both community and individual level. But how many families could get off the streets and into basic accomodation for that amount of coin?

Actually makes me uncomfortable. Almost half a billion dollars on one club. Wow.

You realise that is $400m from the AFL, not the government?

Great editorial tho. The heat is on the ALP.

You realise that is $400m from the AFL, not the government?

Great editorial tho. The heat is on the ALP.

I know it's the Afl, but does make the $15million we want from the state government look a bit like loose change and not the line in the sand for the development that it seems to have become.

Just get the federal gov to sign off on their $15m (they must already have it budgeted) and get the hell on with it.

Keep in mind that 400m isn't given away. At least some of that money would filter through to the community. So in a sense you could almost play it to the qld government as "look at how much money we have added to your economy in southeast Qld... etc."

Keep in mind that 400m isn't given away. At least some of that money would filter through to the community. So in a sense you could almost play it to the qld government as "look at how much money we have added to your economy in southeast Qld... etc."

Are you a lawyer by any chance? Convince them that they owe the Afl a return on investment.

Last edited:
Have we even heard a peep from the pollies this week? Last time they were at least jumping on the bandwagon.

Starting to get the sinking feeling that even if we win the bloody thing the funding still won't come.

Have we even heard a peep from the pollies this week? Last time they were at least jumping on the bandwagon.

Starting to get the sinking feeling that even if we win the bloody thing the funding still won't come.

It's incredibly frustrating. They continue to pump millions into the Broncos in the meantime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back