Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Where is the second oval going?
Behind the car park that is on the other side of Eden Station Drive from the current facilities.
If that makes sense.
Last time I was there, there is machinery on the site which has made some sort of a start.

Its refreshing reading the first page of this thread and all the scepticism around funds needed, chairman back in 2014 trying to push Springfield etc. How far we've come.

I know some of you will be fretting on the fate of the AFLX trophy with the move to Springfield. Well, fret not! It's proudly displayed amongst our other 'other' trophies, such as our NEAFL cups, in the boardroom. Plenty of space for more!

The premiership flags are stored here too. I think the ones hanging in the kick room are copies.

20230526_171403.jpg

Was also at the BHA tours last evening - very impressive facilities!
Our tour wrapped up out on the oval. I was really surprised at the hardness of the ground. The (very tough) grass cover seems to have little thickness or sponginess in it, and was cut quite short.
Yes, it's very short. I'm no expert but it didn't seem overly hard to me.

I think it was Andrew Wellington that mentioned that since the development of the Springfield/BHA facility, that junior participation rates in Aussie Rules has increased by 200% in the Ipswich area.

Also, the chappie that took us on our tour said that the oval is pretty much always open to any locals who want to come and have a kick, day or night.

There were two or three teenagers having a kick to kick on the field at 7 pm almost in total darkness

Great stuff by the club.

Way to win the hearts and minds

Excellent work from Jake Anson. I really like the idea of Moreton bay figs around the oval anyway, and it’s a great nod to Fitzroy and Sir Doug Nicholls.

Brisbane Lions pay homage to their Aboriginal roots in old Fitzroy

The 150-year-old fig’s significance as the birthplace of Aboriginal rights will live on in both Fitzroy and Queensland, with the Brisbane Lions transplanting six saplings at its training facility to honour the team’s inner-Melbourne roots.

Nicholls played 54 VFL games for Fitzroy between 1932 and1937, and was known for his skill and his speed. A natural athlete, he also contested professional gift races around Victoria. After he retired in 1939 he became a pastor and prominent leader in Aboriginal Fitzroy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm…

Brisbane Lions Gabba replacement should be Brighton Homes Arena in Springfield, Ipswich Mayor says

A South East Queensland Mayor has poured cold water on plans to revamp the RNA showgrounds to accommodate the Brisbane Lions while the Gabba is renovated, saying there’s a far cheaper and more obvious solution.

Ipswich Mayor Teresa Harding has hit back at a push for the Brisbane Lions to play at the RNA showgrounds during the four-year redevelopment of the Gabba, saying expanding the existing Springfield stadium would cost half as much.
Ms Harding said while she “admired” Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner‘s passionate plea to revamp the historic stadium, using the new $80m Brighton Homes Arena in Springfield – already the home ground for the Brisbane Lions AFLW team – “just makes sense”.

“Brighton Homes Arena is a world class AFL stadium which was built with expansion already in mind. The cost to expand Brighton Homes Arena is around half of what it would take to try and make the RNA work,” she said.

“Hosting the Brisbane Lions needs more than just a field, it takes warm up and recovery facilities, state- of-the-art broadcast technology and a high quality, even playing surface. These are already available at Brighton Homes Arena.

“Of course, one of the biggest selling points for Brighton Homes Arena is it’s already the home and headquarters of the Brisbane Lions. It comes with a home ground advantage built in.”

Ms Harding also said it was key the investment from the Games flowed beyond Brisbane, pointing out Ipswich had “just one” of the 37 venues on the Games masterplan – while Brisbane had 18.

“Pardon the pun but Brisbane already has the lion’s share of investment and economic benefits from the 2032 Games,” she said.

“This is a perfect opportunity to start spreading the 2032 Games’ benefits more broadly, and leaving a legacy that can be enjoyed by communities outside of Brisbane.

“The Brisbane Lions have already taken advantage of the opportunity Ipswich’s rapid population growth offers the AFL, in what has always been NRL heartland. Our community has responded with open arms.

“We hope the Queensland Government undertakes its own assessment and sees the opportunity to bring this amazing legacy opportunity to Ipswich.”

Earlier this month Mr Schrinner put forward an impassioned plea to have the RNA become the home for local teams including the Brisbane Lions and the Brisbane Heat while the Gabba is redeveloped.

That’s what tens of thousands of football and cricket fans want to see happen while the Gabba is being redeveloped, so that’s what should be delivered,” he said.

“From the options on the table, clearly the upgrade of the RNA’s historic arena is a no-brainer.”

The Lions have said the club remains in an “ongoing dialogue” with the state government and other stakeholders regarding the Gabba redevelopment and the displacement period”, while Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has said “we will update Lions members, fans and the wider community in due course when a decision has been made”.

Hmmm…

Brisbane Lions Gabba replacement should be Brighton Homes Arena in Springfield, Ipswich Mayor says

A South East Queensland Mayor has poured cold water on plans to revamp the RNA showgrounds to accommodate the Brisbane Lions while the Gabba is renovated, saying there’s a far cheaper and more obvious solution.

Ipswich Mayor Teresa Harding has hit back at a push for the Brisbane Lions to play at the RNA showgrounds during the four-year redevelopment of the Gabba, saying expanding the existing Springfield stadium would cost half as much.
Ms Harding said while she “admired” Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner‘s passionate plea to revamp the historic stadium, using the new $80m Brighton Homes Arena in Springfield – already the home ground for the Brisbane Lions AFLW team – “just makes sense”.

“Brighton Homes Arena is a world class AFL stadium which was built with expansion already in mind. The cost to expand Brighton Homes Arena is around half of what it would take to try and make the RNA work,” she said.

“Hosting the Brisbane Lions needs more than just a field, it takes warm up and recovery facilities, state- of-the-art broadcast technology and a high quality, even playing surface. These are already available at Brighton Homes Arena.

“Of course, one of the biggest selling points for Brighton Homes Arena is it’s already the home and headquarters of the Brisbane Lions. It comes with a home ground advantage built in.”

Ms Harding also said it was key the investment from the Games flowed beyond Brisbane, pointing out Ipswich had “just one” of the 37 venues on the Games masterplan – while Brisbane had 18.

“Pardon the pun but Brisbane already has the lion’s share of investment and economic benefits from the 2032 Games,” she said.

“This is a perfect opportunity to start spreading the 2032 Games’ benefits more broadly, and leaving a legacy that can be enjoyed by communities outside of Brisbane.

“The Brisbane Lions have already taken advantage of the opportunity Ipswich’s rapid population growth offers the AFL, in what has always been NRL heartland. Our community has responded with open arms.

“We hope the Queensland Government undertakes its own assessment and sees the opportunity to bring this amazing legacy opportunity to Ipswich.”

Earlier this month Mr Schrinner put forward an impassioned plea to have the RNA become the home for local teams including the Brisbane Lions and the Brisbane Heat while the Gabba is redeveloped.

That’s what tens of thousands of football and cricket fans want to see happen while the Gabba is being redeveloped, so that’s what should be delivered,” he said.

“From the options on the table, clearly the upgrade of the RNA’s historic arena is a no-brainer.”

The Lions have said the club remains in an “ongoing dialogue” with the state government and other stakeholders regarding the Gabba redevelopment and the displacement period”, while Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has said “we will update Lions members, fans and the wider community in due course when a decision has been made”.
Thanks for the information below the link as i can't get through the paywall.
I thought this information was relevant to the thread "Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News".
So, i did a copy/past to that thread.

I wonder how the Gabba folks would feel about a full sized world class stadium to complete with in Springfield ... unless of course they want to plan ahead for that third Qld team and think that Ipswich is the future heartland of AFL growth in the state...
A third team in SEQ makes very little sense. Playing out of the the Lions' venue that they own and that's covered in Lions branding makes even less sense

Personally on a global scale I think Shanghai has set the benchmark as far as Aussie Rules stadia go.
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F05%2F21%2F08%2F50%2Fchina_200518_g_env.jpg

Personally on a global scale I think Shanghai has set the benchmark as far as Aussie Rules stadia go.
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F05%2F21%2F08%2F50%2Fchina_200518_g_env.jpg
What's the chances they could ship that grandstand down to Springfield?

I wonder how the Gabba folks would feel about a full sized world class stadium to complete with in Springfield ... unless of course they want to plan ahead for that third Qld team and think that Ipswich is the future heartland of AFL growth in the state...
No chance that a third team would be in Ipswich in the next 30-40 years.

Any third team would be up north, most likely Cairns.

Makes sense to me to use our own ground during our displacement....if the AFL/Govt. put new stands right around. It would be awesome...

...and then our boys would have a true home ground advantage during those years and not feel like nomads.

(hope I'm still here for it)

Remove this Banner Ad

Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back