BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Artist Western Bulldogs - Honeychurch/Austin/Prudden Player Sponsor 2014
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey Lads,

Last night I had the brainwave to start a Petition to try and convince the AFL to seriously look at the Whitten Oval as a Viable Option for a Stadium while they are conducting there Feasibility/Equalization Study

Mark Stevens (Channel 7) and Shane Delia (Celebrity Chef) have already signed the Petition so its growing legs

Read more and to Sign the Petition Here:

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitio...en-oval-to-help-smaller-afl-clubs#description

ironic.
AFL never do what the fans want.
So if you want footy back at Whitten Oval, then you should probably show as minimal interest to the idea as possible.

ironic.
AFL never do what the fans want.
So if you want footy back at Whitten Oval, then you should probably show as minimal interest to the idea as possible.

Fair Point, but this is also a huge opportunity to clear our debt for good which would be one less problem for him and have him in the good books for once

I would rather the AFL pump money into the Dogs than giving it to Carlton.
Would be nice for the AFL to have a presence out west, but not sure how accessaable the ground is relative to Princess Park, which may be a bit of a deterrent.

Can we get a petition going to get rid of Vlad........now that is a petition that would be popular.

I would rather the AFL pump money into the Dogs than giving it to Carlton.
Would be nice for the AFL to have a presence out west, but not sure how accessaable the ground is relative to Princess Park, which may be a bit of a deterrent.

Can we get a petition going to get rid of Vlad........now that is a petition that would be popular.

West Footscray Train Station all of 50m from the ground is undergoing a major redevelopment at the moment

Fair Point, but this is also a huge opportunity to clear our debt for good which would be one less problem for him and have him in the good books for once

The AFL should not be totally against the concept of a stadium in the West, Melbourne's fastest growing area and a migrant feed zone. Whether that is Whitten Oval or not though is another matter.

You'll need to spend a fair bit to get it into shape. Sure the Barkly Street Grandstand has been upgraded a little and is ok but the Southern end of the stand is not and the Gordan St/Geelong road side of the ground is unfit for patrons right now and there is no parking. There is also the issue of a single train line. Ethiad and MCG have train lines heading in several different lines where as this oval has West Footscray train station, even with it's planned redevelopment it is not in a condition to hold 10 thousand people on it at once waiting for a train.

How many million do you think you will need to make it happen and who will fit the bill?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL should not be totally against the concept of a stadium in the West, Melbourne's fastest growing area and a migrant feed zone. Whether that is Whitten Oval or not though is another matter.
There was chatter about a suburban ground being built at the Showgrounds.
Not far from Footscray, not too far from North Melbourne either so the co-tenant issue takes care of itself.

Whitten Oval has a train station and a tram line nearby, Showgrounds has an ad hoc trainline (only servcied on special occasions).
Showgrounds does have a lot more car parking facilities already.

With the AFL due to own Etihad outright in 2025(?) I can't see them wanting a competitor though.

There was chatter about a suburban ground being built at the Showgrounds.
Not far from Footscray, not too far from North Melbourne either so the co-tenant issue takes care of itself.

Whitten Oval has a train station and a tram line nearby, Showgrounds has an ad hoc trainline (only servcied on special occasions).
Showgrounds does have a lot more car parking facilities already.

With the AFL due to own Etihad outright in 2025(?) I can't see them wanting a competitor though.

Feed area for the station holding a lot of patrons can be made a lot bigger but the rail network would need to run to the showgrounds constantly.

I'd imagine to make this work they will need 2 tenants as opposed to one. Are North fans open to the idea of a move?

You'll need to spend a fair bit to get it into shape. Sure the Barkly Street Grandstand has been upgraded a little and is ok but the Southern end of the stand is not and the Gordan St/Geelong road side of the ground is unfit for patrons right now and there is no parking. There is also the issue of a single train line. Ethiad and MCG have train lines heading in several different lines where as this oval has West Footscray train station, even with it's planned redevelopment it is not in a condition to hold 10 thousand people on it at once waiting for a train.

How many million do you think you will need to make it happen and who will fit the bill?

Like I mentioned earlier The Train Station (West Footscray) is undergoing a massive upgrade which includes a stack of new car parks there with Metro and V/line services stopping there regularly

As for the funding mate If the AFL can spend 126 Million (Metricon) and 65 Million (Sydney Showgrounds) on Expansion teams surely there would be money there for us

When the whole AFL idea of turning PRO/Visy into a boutique stadium was being discussed, the question on Arden Street/Western Oval/Moorabbin was raised.

I don't know if this is correct, but one poster mentioned once they ripped down the fences and made them open parks, their status changed. Apparently its now classified as a public park or something like that, and it takes council approval to put the fences back up and ban public access again. The poster off memory mentioned this rarely happens because councils don't want to give up parkland once they get access to it (as its so rare now).

Sorry to the original poster if I got any of this wrong - couldn't find your original post

I don't think its a bad idea. Play GWS/GCS games there and if things go alright then start playing more at the ground.

I live close to Footscray and I'd probably go just for the sake of watching footy.

It's a minor league standard stadium at Subiaco that's for sure.
And we have the splinters in our backsides to prove it.

Hallowed home of footy or not, the thing is a shambling zombie stadium with no room for expansion. I almost want to hop into a cryo capsule till 2018. Wait, 2019, nothing gets done on schedule around here.

And we have the splinters in our backsides to prove it.

Hallowed home of footy or not, the thing is a shambling zombie stadium with no room for expansion. I almost want to hop into a cryo capsule till 2018. Wait, 2019, nothing gets done on schedule around here.

Do the WAFL\WA gov would have the money to upgrade it?

Like I mentioned earlier The Train Station (West Footscray) is undergoing a massive upgrade which includes a stack of new car parks there with Metro and V/line services stopping there regularly

As for the funding mate If the AFL can spend 126 Million (Metricon) and 65 Million (Sydney Showgrounds) on Expansion teams surely there would be money there for us
The AFL did not spend $126m on Metricon, they contributed $13m. The rest came from Govt funding.

The AFL did not spend $126m on Metricon, they contributed $13m. The rest came from Govt funding.

That may be the case but clearly the AFL is willing to spend the money and i'm sure the Government would be willing to spend money as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Bring Footy Back to Whitten Oval Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back