Bring Footy Back to Whitten Oval Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

Kardinia Park is a suburban ground. Seeya later, Cats?

It's the only ground in the city though, making it the major stadium, here they're referring to having a third stadium in one major city.

I don't understand why we need another ground. The mcg and etihad are superb grounds, centrally located and close to train stations, why do clubs need to resort to a boutique stadium anyway?

It's the only ground in the city though, making it the major stadium, here they're referring to having a third stadium in one major city.

I don't understand why we need another ground. The mcg and etihad are superb grounds, centrally located and close to train stations, why do clubs need to resort to a boutique stadium anyway?

Because the deals the Smaller clubs are getting at Eithad in particular that we stuck in are killing us financially and they refuse to budge on an alternative

Nope, Kram just said it was a suburban ground. Nothing about any other ground in that post. KP is a suburban ground.
Anyway, that's irrelevant. Was just pointing out that it was a stupid post.

When you lose money (like we do) with the Etihad contract when you don't get a crowd of 30,000, you want to look at other options.

The showgrounds has legs as a boutique venue IMO, especially considering the location is smack bang between the two clubs most likely to be the main tenants in the kangaroos and bulldogs.

When you think about public transport and parking options, it ticks all the boxes as the racecourse is on the other side of the tracks and can be used for parking, and there is already a train station and tram stop at the doorstep.

It would be great to see these clubs play in a packed stadium rather than a half empty dome.

Would be better to play games like Bulldogs vs GCS or Bulldogs vs GWS at Whitten Oval, so I'm all for it.

Feed area for the station holding a lot of patrons can be made a lot bigger but the rail network would need to run to the showgrounds constantly.
Well it handles 100,000 at Flemington next door on regular occasions so I dont think 20,000 at the showgrounds is going to be a big issue. However that opportunity has well and truly sailed. The Showgrounds was the recommendation of a VFL (as it was then) commissioned report 30 years and it would have been great. Since then the old main arena has been redeveloped as has the whole showgrounds precinct. Plus a big section of the Showgrounds next to Epsom Road sold off and redeveloped as shopping/housing. You'd have more hope of getting VFL park back up and running again, at least that a full sized oval and a grandstand and surely the government would build a rail line out there ;)

Like the idea of games at a suburban ground but it's never going to happen. The costs involved with getting a disused ground like the Whitten Oval up to scratch would be astronomical, and I'm not sure the State Government would be willing to splash out more $$$ on stadiums. At an educated guess you'd be looking at a minimum of $100m-$200m just to bring it up to a basic level in terms of accessibility/transport/parking, spectator facilities, building grandstands, and having a decent surface.

Not sure the local residents would be that accommodating either with all the traffic in/around the area on match days. If you installed floodlights there for night games they'd probably have even more of an issue with it (just like a lot of Geelong residents in regards to Kardinia Park).

Having said that the Dogs would profit nicely playing 7-8 home games there a year. If it had a capacity of 25k they'd probably go close to filling that, even against interstate sides. 3-4 home games a year against clubs such as Collingwood, Essendon, and Carlton would probably remain at Etihad though where larger crowds can be drawn.

Hey Lads,

Last night I had the brainwave to start a Petition to try and convince the AFL to seriously look at the Whitten Oval as a Viable Option for a Stadium while they are conducting there Feasibility/Equalization Study

Mark Stevens (Channel 7) and Shane Delia (Celebrity Chef) have already signed the Petition so its growing legs

Read more and to Sign the Petition Here:

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitio...en-oval-to-help-smaller-afl-clubs#description
Done. Signed. Great idea there. I completely agree. Ground rationalisation has been a complete screw up to say the least. I have a more generalised idea which should help more smaller clubs so it is interesting to see what you think of it.

"However there is nothing said about redeveloping existing stadiums. The AFL have been mentioning they'd like to redevelop some suburban stadiums such as Princes Park and Punt Road Oval. Although these two options are unviable in my view, there are plenty more to be considered. So how about redeveloping Moorabbin Oval for use by the Hawks and Saints? Recently, the AFL has been looking to get out of Ethiad as clubs are bleeding money. It's in a great location, right in the heart of the eastern suburbs (especially considering the vast majority of both teams' fans live the eastern suburbs), has a top notch surface, plenty of atmosphere, and we don't have to worry about annoying councils/sport hating hipster residents. It's near the Frankston line, so no need to worry about no rail access like with Waverley Park. It's got lights as well (unlike the other suburban grounds). Of course, we all know how St. Kilda treated us the last time we shared a home ground...

How does this sound:
MCG: Melbourne, Richmond
Moorabbin Oval: Hawthorn, St. Kilda
Western Oval: North Melbourne, Footscray
Etihad Stadium: Essendon (well they seem to be the only one to be able to get a decent deal...)
Kardinia Park: Geelong
Victoria Park: Collingwood, Fitzroy
And just cut Carlton from the league. What have they ever done except cheat and tank? If not they can rot at Etihad, Ian Collins got them into that mess.

This would bring the atmosphere back into footy. It wouldn't cost too much either, as the much-maligned-as-being-too-expensive Hawthorn Stand at Princes Park only cost $16 million (yeah, I called it the Hawthorn Stand because we paid for it). This is small change compared to what Crocklands cost. The viability of all clubs is well and truly set, and we won't have to worry about clubs being kicked out. And under this specific arrangement, we won't have to worry about clubs trying to sue other clubs out of existence, trying to buy other clubs on the stock market, and spending $1 million over the cap to finish dead last.

Ground "rationalisation" was always going to fail. Spectators go to the footy for fun, not because we have to. I definitely won't go to Etihad, and neither will a large portion of Hawthorn fans; I'd rather just watch on TV because the experience is exactly the same, with the only difference being that you can eat your own food at home. Now that the AFL has realised that ground "rationalisation" was a mistake, there's a small chance of something like this actually happening. Make it happen, Andy."

Let's face it, any 3rd ground is only viable if the clubs that play there dont need to actually pay for it.

Because with only 2 or 3 clubs likely to want to play there, and maybe about 10-15 games a year, it'll never make them any money otherwise.

So rather than pay for a white elephant ground (whatever the locaton), the might as well just use that money to subsidise playing at existing grounds.

The AFL has contracts in place to play minimum numbers of games at the MCG & Etihad Stadium.

I like the idea of a small, low budget venue for anti-blockbusters but the reality is the AFL's contractual obligations far outweigh their interest in the romantic notion of bringing back suburban footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see a different tack to this debate.

The only thing the AFL responds to is commercial pressure, and the best way to drive that (indirectly) is media pressure that brings negative attention to their brand.

If all the tenant clubs commisioned a report from an existing venue (WO, PP, etc. - doesn't matter) saying for crowds of 10k-30k (capacity) in increments of 5k we can achieve the following profit/loss figures compared to Etihad Stadium for crowds of 10k-50k in 5k increments and it was pushed in the media the AFL might at least look at the issue...

It may sound like the end of the earth to many but I think Highgate Reserve in Craigieburn would not be impossible as a short-term boutique venue fix until AFL Etihad ownership happens.

MCG size and in a relatively uncluttered part of the suburb where necessary overhauls to access, temporary seating (10,000 capacity?) and parking could be made.

Maybe a bridge too far, even for a Bulldogs-GWS game.

I'd like to see a different tack to this debate.

The only thing the AFL responds to is commercial pressure, and the best way to drive that (indirectly) is media pressure that brings negative attention to their brand.

If all the tenant clubs commisioned a report from an existing venue (WO, PP, etc. - doesn't matter) saying for crowds of 10k-30k (capacity) in increments of 5k we can achieve the following profit/loss figures compared to Etihad Stadium for crowds of 10k-50k in 5k increments and it was pushed in the media the AFL might at least look at the issue...

Spoke to the communications manager at change.org today and mentioned that he mentioned he may be able to get some media interest for the petition which is great

Not going to happen, the AFL is already spending too much money on GWS/GC to spend any more on another stadium in Melbourne. The AFL will own Etihad in 12 years and by then you will get a better deal anyway. Lobby the AFL to play some of your games in Geelong if you want a better deal for now. Its only 45mins to 1 hour down the highway which is nothing in this day n age.

Lobby the AFL to play some of your games in Geelong if you want a better deal for now. Its only 45mins to 1 hour down the highway which is nothing in this day n age.
Tried that. Twice.

I knew you asked them once, didn't realise you asked them more than that. Pretty poor form from the AFL that they won't allow you to play a couple games there, would help your finances a crap load.
A few years ago we asked and they said no, then only recently Geelong offered, and we said we want to, but haven't heard a single word about it since, so I assume the answer was still no.

It would be great for us. Not happy with the AFL not letting us.

Like I mentioned earlier The Train Station (West Footscray) is undergoing a massive upgrade which includes a stack of new car parks there with Metro and V/line services stopping there regularly

As for the funding mate If the AFL can spend 126 Million (Metricon) and 65 Million (Sydney Showgrounds) on Expansion teams surely there would be money there for us
There are enough carparks to get about 500-1000 people to work everyday. Thats all.
It doesn't matter how much they do it up there is still only one line coming in and out.
There is little to no other car parking in the area.
The joint has already been redeveloped as a community oval.

Lovely idea. Completely and utterly no chance of it happening.

Hey Lads,

Last night I had the brainwave to start a Petition to try and convince the AFL to seriously look at the Whitten Oval as a Viable Option for a Stadium while they are conducting there Feasibility/Equalization Study

Mark Stevens (Channel 7) and Shane Delia (Celebrity Chef) have already signed the Petition so its growing legs

Read more and to Sign the Petition Here:

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitio...en-oval-to-help-smaller-afl-clubs#description
Yay another little stadium that the interstate teams have to play at but victorian teams dont

Shit ground. Shit place to get to. Shit place to park.

That ship has sailed my friend.

I'd be worried about a lot of other stuff if I was you.
Petition "get irene back"

Remove this Banner Ad

Bring Footy Back to Whitten Oval Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back