Bring Footy Back to Whitten Oval Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit pointless spending $200m on the Western Oval too so what's the best option ??

A new stadium well within the greater Melbourne municipality is the right thing to do for the Dogs. Besides, why would they want to go and play at YOUR ground and tip money into YOUR coffers anyway ?? They need their own ground & operations so they could hopefully become self-sufficient with an ongoing profitable business behind them.

Games at the Western Oval wouldn't be a bad idea, just saying that it's pointless building a stadium somewhere down near Altona, Laverton, or Werribee since Kardinia Park is only 50-odd mins away.

As for tipping money into our coffers, the Dogs would actually profit very nicely from playing some home games at Geelong. A crowd of 20,000 would net them $700,000 or thereabouts.

Games at the Western Oval wouldn't be a bad idea, just saying that it's pointless building a stadium somewhere down near Altona, Laverton, or Werribee since Kardinia Park is only 50-odd mins away.

As for tipping money into our coffers, the Dogs would actually profit very nicely from playing some home games at Geelong. A crowd of 20,000 would net them $700,000 or thereabouts.

I think it's a two part problem with the Geelong Solution mate
1) The AFL has already knocked back the idea twice once a couple of years ago and when it was mentioned recently the league didn't give it any air and have not heard anything about it since

2) People just wouldn't go think back to the Last Geelong Vs Western Bulldogs game there people didn't show up all I noticed on TV was the Cheersquad and a smattering of fans around the ground

I think it's a two part problem with the Geelong Solution mate
1) The AFL has already knocked back the idea twice once a couple of years ago and when it was mentioned recently the league didn't give it any air and have not heard anything about it since

2) People just wouldn't go think back to the Last Geelong Vs Western Bulldogs game there people didn't show up all I noticed on TV was the Cheersquad and a smattering of fans around the ground

1) I know they have knocked it back and it's fairly difficult to change the AFL's minds, but if the Dogs have been denied home games at Geelong what makes you think they'll be allowed to play games at the Western Oval?

2) The reason so few Bulldogs supporters attended the game last year was because 1/3 of the ground was missing, and consequently only several hundred opposition supporters were allowed to obtain tickets. In previous years the Dogs have actually had a fairly sizeable contingent of supporters turn out for games against us at Kardinia Park, especially compared to the amount of fans of other Melbourne-based clubs that show up to games there.

Where's this $200 million talk coming from? The area is still there, the blueprint, design and space to put a few new stands up is not that difficult compared to acquiring space and building a ground from scratch. I know a little bit about construction and engineering and my estimate would be around $25-$30 million to do this. It has an AFL quality surface, public transport, close proximity to the CBD, enough parking (there is plenty of space there to build more if necessary). Nearly all of the work that needs to be done is on stands and facilities. Whitten Oval is the best option for a 3rd Melbourne venue. We are talking about a 25,000 capacity stadium.

Where's this $200 million talk coming from? The area is still there, the blueprint, design and space to put a few new stands up is not that difficult compared to acquiring space and building a ground from scratch. I know a little bit about construction and engineering and my estimate would be around $25-$30 million to do this. It has an AFL quality surface, public transport, close proximity to the CBD, enough parking (there is plenty of space there to build more if necessary). Nearly all of the work that needs to be done is on stands and facilities. Whitten Oval is the best option for a 3rd Melbourne venue. We are talking about a 25,000 capacity stadium.

$25-30 million? You know nothing about construction. Unfortunately we couldn't fund any component of this with our finances.

Ground rationalisation sunk the ship of suburban grounds except for Geelong, for the obvious reason that Geelong is not a Melbourne club and had a city council willing to put money into the place. Docklands has now supplanted the suburban grounds of some of the smaller clubs and that is not going away.

Unless some rich Doggies fan is willing to pump a couple hundred mil into the place then it's just not going to happen.

What about a crowd of 7,000? How much would that net them?

Although in all seriousness, if 20,000 do show up and they're all members, where does the $700,000 come from? Gate receipts would be zero, and you're suggesting they're going to *profit* $35 a head?

What about a crowd of 7,000? How much would that net them?

10,000 is still more than Ethiad. They havn't mentioned anything lower to the point of non profit that i'm aware of.

If the western suburbs continue to expand as expected, Whitten oval would be a good idea

e bulldogs best chance, however, would be to push for funding from state and federal government, as the AFL only cares about the welfare of Collingwood, Carlton, essendon and Sydney (with Richmond just behind)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bring Footy Back to Whitten Oval Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back