Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

This is not unreasonable and I think Collingwood could come to an agreement for this to occur on an ongoing basis.
It's the minority of Port supporters pushing for it to be the full time home guernsey that is causing the issues.

What nonsense. The club has at various points stated its objective as being to wear it for all Showdowns and more recently for all home Showdowns. A bunch of nutjobs on an internet forum pushing for it to be the home guernsey is causing no issue and does not factor into the negotiations at all.

I think we should have a right to determine what guernsey we wear in all home games. As far as I am aware, there is no example of a team in world sport denied this right other than us. Apparently in this little pissant competition that is a bit (or actually a lot) too much to ask though.

I am however fully aware that the club will never push for this because doing what it takes to achieve this outcome will cause too many problems for the club and the individuals involved. That being the case, an agreement to wear it in all home Showdowns (ie locking it in as a once yearly thing) is something of a start. This of course must not be accompanied by any sort of agreement that limits its use in other games down the track.

we had a 10,000+ strong petition to bring back the bars as our full time guernsey for the 2020 season and onwards until it was hijacked by the club and conditions changed. they have successfully managed our expectations
I think it is about being realistic too. Given how hard we've campaigned over the last few years it has only resulted in us wearing it once.

I tend to think that having it as a special purpose guernsey, where it is only rolled out a couple times a year will actually make the guernsey more popular too. And every year we will look forward to the prison bar rounds, and keep the BIB as the permanent home guernsey and create a tradition with that.

I tend to think that having it as a special purpose guernsey, where it is only rolled out a couple times a year will actually make the guernsey more popular too. And every year we will look forward to the prison bar rounds, and keep the BIB as the permanent home guernsey and create a tradition with that.

so we went from wanting the best guernsey in australia back as our main jumper, to being happy the club are using artificial scarcity tactics on us

The problem for me is that I don't believe that it will stop at "a one off game".

Other posts in this thread comment about:
  • PB as home strip (Post #1,950)
  • PB for ANZAC (Post #1,957)
  • Bring back the SA Magpies (Post #1,937)
I would like to know what PA fans want as an end point and to have the arguement now and sort it out once and for all so we don't have to go throught the same stuff every year.
The Prison Bar guernsey is part of my DNA. I agree with you that it needs to be - reasonably - sorted out, so that this situation where we have none of the options that we seek is brought to an end.

In 1951 - when Fos Williams led the Port Magpies to his / our first flag of seven in that decade out of eight grand finals - we wore the Collingwood guernsey. That’s a perfect example of the historical relationship between our two football clubs. I didn’t see that game as I was four years old, but I saw most of the six-in-a-row from 1954 to 1959 inclusive … and I remember seeing the 1953 loss to West Torrens.

Bring Back The Backs - BBTB - is a movement I have been wholeheartedly backing for years.

All along I have been conscious of the following:

1. The marketing value of the Bars guernsey. This means we do not want to wear it too often. Twice per season would be not too little, not too much.
2. Home showdowns versus the Crows is a start, and is the way we have been going, on and off, depending on whether Koch’s balls have dropped at any particular time (this time it needed Jeff Browne to initiate the matter, to Koch’s shock, or so he admits). But it is only a start. It is the easiest solution for us to sell in order to get the process going.
3. The second Bars home game per season must be the ANZAC round. As others have pointed out - as I have often pointed out - it was the guernsey worn by the Club’s senior footballers who lost their lives in battle overseas - the last being Peter Chant in Vietnam, with whom I served, in 1969. Wearing the Bars in ANZAC round at home would significantly and reasonably honour our Fallen, far more than wearing our current BiB guernsey.
4. But here comes the twist. Twice a season wearing the Bars at home, whilst paying attention to market value and not overdoing exposure, entails one game in each half of the season. ANZAC round is set in stone as an early season fixture. This means that the home Showdown at which we wear the Bars must be late in the season. The Club requires, however, that our home Showdown is not fixtured late in the season every year, preferably not at all, and this makes sense.
5. Therefore, with ANZAC round as an unmoveable fixture, we require flexibility as to the second, later, home Bars game per season.
6. I am not in favour of pieces of paper being bandied about as ‘contracts’. We should be adults. We should be fair and sensible. Eddie McGuire has admitted on national TV that he cheated with the agreement signed with our Club regarding Heritage Round. He signed in bad faith; he had inside knowledge that Heritage Round was about to be turfed out by the AFL. So Eddie Everywhere, to me, has forfeited the right to talk at us about ‘contracts’.
7. Then we have the ugly reality of McGuire’s CEO at McGuire Media and JAM TV sitting on our board of directors since October 2012. This Conflict of Interest further denies Eddie the right to talk at us about proper / improper behaviour, taking legal action, and so on and so forth ad infinitum / ad nauseam.

So .. what is the bottom line I am seeking?

Two home Bars matches per season, one in each half of the season, ANZAC round fixed, second match flexible.

But then there will be rare ‘special occasions’. Such as our celebrating an anniversary of a Champions of Australia victory versus South Melbourne alias the Sydney Swans … or versus Brisbane alias Fitzroy … or celebrating the March of the Wharfies versus Fremantle.

Such a match could qualify as the second-half of season Bars home match … or if it clashes with a late-season home Showdown, a stand-alone special occasion - either as the second Bars match or, rarely, a third. But no more than that.

I have no axe to grind over wearing the Bars in a home final. Actually … I do.
That’s getting too far ahead of ourselves. We not only have a McGuire mole in our board room, and a chairman who himself dickheadedly invents non-existent contracts over what colour the Suns wear in Shanghai, but we also have a senior coach in his 11th year who has proved he is not good enough to take us into a grand final. I would NOT want us to wear the Bars in ANY final with Hinkley in the coaching box.

Last edited:
If we played in any other sports league in the world, the prison bars would have been our home guernsey the whole time. We wouldn't wear teal at all. Collingwood would wear a clash guernsey when playing away against us, and what's more they wouldn't care about doing it, much like Aston Villa don't care about wearing an away kit when they play West Ham or Burnley.

It's only the AFL and only to us that this happens across the entire sporting world. This entire problem is manufactured. If the AFL had told Collingwood to pipe down in 1997 and let us wear our guernsey, nobody would be talking about it in 2023. Collingwood fans wouldn't care, it woulddn't have any effect on them. They care because they've been told to by Eddie McGuire for 25 years.

Anything apart from a fully time home guernsey is a forced compromise on our part. We've been compromising for 25 years.

I acknowledge that the club and some supporters might see it differently, but they only see it differently because of the context of the last 25 years. Any reasonable Port person would agree that had we had the opportunity to wear the bars for round 1 1997, we'd have worn them every home game since.

so we went from wanting the best guernsey in australia back as our main jumper, to being happy the club are using artificial scarcity tactics on us

Who actually thought we would ever have the guernsey back as our main jumper?

I think the club needed to set a realistic goal of showdowns/special purpose, it’s achievable and I’ll be stoked if we can get that deal done. Keeps the tradition alive, and I think the showdowns are the most fitting as it always been us against the rest of SA.

If you are wanting it to be our main guernsey again, you are just going to be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Prison Bar guernsey is part of my DNA. I agree with you that it needs to be - reasonably - sorted out, so that this situation where we have none of the options that we seek is brought to an end.

In 1951 - when Fos Williams led the Port Magpies to his / our first flag of seven in that decade out of eight grand finals - we wore the Collingwood guernsey. That’s a perfect example of the historical relationship between our two football clubs. I didn’t see that game as I was four years old, but I saw most of the six-in-a-row from 1954 to 1959 inclusive … and I remember seeing the 1953 loss to West Torrens.

Bring Back The Backs - BBTB - is a movement I have been wholeheartedly backing for years.

All along I have been conscious of the following:

1. The marketing value of the Bars guernsey. This means we do not want to wear it too often. Twice per season would be not too little, not too much.
2. Home showdowns versus the Crows is a start, and is the way we have been going, on and off, depending on whether Koch’s balls have dropped at any particular time (this time it needed Jeff Browne to initiate the matter, to Koch’s shock, or so he admits). But it is only a start. It is the easiest solution for us to sell in order to get the process going.
3. The second Bars home game per season must be the ANZAC round. As others have pointed out - as I have often pointed out - it was the guernsey worn by the Club’s senior footballers who lost their lives in battle overseas - the last being Peter Chant in Vietnam, with whom I served, in 1969. Wearing the Bars in ANZAC round at home would significantly and reasonably honour our Fallen, far more than wearing our current BiB guernsey.
4. But here comes the twist. Twice a season wearing the Bars at home, whilst paying attention to market value and not overdoing exposure, entails one game in each half of the season. ANZAC round is set in stone as an early season fixture. This means that the home Showdown at which we wear the Bars must be late in the season. The Club requires, however, that our home Showdown is not fixtured late in the season every year, preferably not at all, and this makes sense.
5. Therefore, with ANZAC round as an unmoveable fixture, we require flexibility as to the second, later, home Bars game per season.
6. I am not in favour of pieces of paper being bandied about as ‘contracts’. We should be adults. We should be fair and sensible. Eddie McGuire has admitted on national TV that he cheated with the agreement signed with our Club regarding Heritage Round. He signed in bad faith; he had inside knowledge that Heritage Round was about to be turfed out by the AFL. So Eddie Everywhere, to me, has forfeited the right to talk at us about ‘contracts’.
7. Then we have the ugly reality of McGuire’s CEO at McGuire Media and JAM TV sitting on our board of directors since October 2012. This Conflict of Interest further denies Eddie the right to talk at us about proper / improper behaviour, taking legal action, and so on and so forth ad infinitum / ad nauseam.

So .. what is the bottom line I am seeking?

Two home Bars matches per season, one in each half of the season, ANZAC round fixed, second match flexible.

But then there will be rare ‘special occasions’. Such as our celebrating an anniversary of a Champions of Australia victory versus South Melbourne alias the Sydney Swans … or versus Brisbane alias Fitzroy … or celebrating the March of the Wharfies versus Fremantle.

Such a match could qualify as the second-half of season Bars home match … or if it clashes with a late-season home Showdown, a stand-alone special occasion - either as the second Bars match or, rarely, a third. But no more than that.

I have no axe to grind over wearing the Bars in a home final. Actually … I do.
That’s getting too far ahead of ourselves. We not only have a McGuire mole in our board room, and a chairman who himself dickheadedly invents non-existent contracts over what colour the Suns wear in Shanghai, but we also have a senior coach in his 11th year who has proved he is not good enough to take us into a grand final. I would NOT want us to wear the Bars in ANY final with Hinkley in the coaching box.
I believe that one day ( obviously it is unlikely to be in our time ) that ala overseas national sporting competitions the home team in the AFL will eventually be allowed to wear the jumper of its choice and the away team will be forced to wear whatever is appropriate to remove any possibility of a clash on a given day, particularly for tv viewers who in this age will always make up the vast majority of the audience for any high level sport.

It will require a much stronger ruling body than we have now, one that will treat all the participating clubs exactly the same, and it may take 20 years, 30 years, or even 50 years, but I'm of the opinion it will eventually happen.

There is even some possibility the new president of wobblewood has seen the writing on the wall and has made Port an offer out of the blue to put his club in a stronger position in advance of any possible future changes.
The problem for us of course is if that is the case that kokhead could fall for a 3 card trick and sign some BS contract that would lock us into a binding agreement.

I believe that one day ( obviously it is unlikely to be in our time ) that ala overseas national sporting competitions the home team in the AFL will eventually be allowed to wear the jumper of its choice and the away team will be forced to wear whatever is appropriate to remove any possibility of a clash on a given day, particularly for tv viewers who in this age will always make up the vast majority of the audience for any high level sport.

It will require a much stronger ruling body than we have now, one that will treat all the participating clubs exactly the same, and it may take 20 years, 30 years, or even 50 years, but I'm of the opinion it will eventually happen.

There is even some possibility the new president of wobblewood has seen the writing on the wall and has made Port an offer out of the blue to put his club in a stronger position in advance of any possible future changes.
The problem for us of course is if that is the case that kokhead could fall for a 3 card trick and sign some BS contract that would lock us into a binding agreement.
Excellent post.
The last sentence is frighteningly possible though.

Teamcoach cards have just been revealed and the Star Powers cards have once again been designed by Adelaide-based designer Tyson Beck. He's a really big name in the sporting card world, namely in basketball where he's collaborated with athletes like Steph Curry, Dirk Nowitzki, Jayson Tatum and many more. What's notable about this is it seems Tyson has deliberately chosen to use the Prison Bars in the top right segment that tends to be for the club logo. I'll send some other cards as an example. I know we have the bars in the logo but for every other team with some sort of lettering in their logo the letters are the focal point for that part. Big respect, especially given he's a Crows fan.
SP-61_PA_Ollie-Wines_120_T_f.png
SP-52_MEL_Christian-Petracca_111_T_f.png
SP-29_FRE_Hayden-Young_020_T_f.png

He has form with this too, last year's trophy star wildcard for Wines had a similar instance of the bars instead of the club logo (see the top part). Not to mention that he has not missed once with his Teamcoach collaborations, yet another check mark to his name in my book!
2022-Afl-Teamcoach-Ollie-Wines-Gold-Trophy-Star.webp
TC2022TW-07_580x.png

It could happen quicker than you, I, or anyone might think. The world goes round and round and everything speeds up, and as Gillon indicated attention spans get shorter and shorter. It might even happen before Oz gets nuclear-powered submarines.

Jeff Browne is not Eddie McGuire, no doubt about that. Last year there was contact with him on the subject of better, more sensible cooperation between the two clubs. Browne was all for it then, conscious of Collingwood’s imperfect image under McGuire, by accounts. But in the end it was probably too close to McGuire’s exit and Browne didn’t follow through. Then, of course, our inimitable Chairman Moi went volubly public blaming Browne for this that and the other.

Guy’s a world class ningnong.

Eddie McGuire on 3AW says he thinks there will be a deal done with Kochie, Jeff Browne, and Gill McLachlan where we wear the Prison Bars for every home showdown, and the club will help promote away games against Collingwood. And that will be the end of it.

He also says Port Adelaide should stop using the term "Prison Bars" and go with "Wharf Pylon jumper".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie McGuire on 3AW says he thinks there will be a deal done with Kochie, Jeff Browne, and Gill McLachlan where we wear the Prison Bars for every home showdown, and the club will help promote away games against Collingwood. And that will be the end of it.

He also says Port Adelaide should stop using the term "Prison Bars" and go with "Wharf Pylon jumper".
Time to start the campaign for ANZAC day then.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

“Now every time Port Adelaide has asked Collingwood when I was the president, we said yes. So let me just let that rattle around. Every time they asked, we said yes."

McGuire once again repeating this blatant lie. It's about time someone at the club called him out for this. If he said yes every time we asked then why were Port the only club not to wear a heritage guernsey in 2006 (we wore the heritage round logo on our clash guernsey after being told to wear a training guernsey from the era instead of the PBs - it was the game where Daniel Motlop missed a goal after the siren)?

The guy is just a liar.

“Now every time Port Adelaide has asked Collingwood when I was the president, we said yes. So let me just let that rattle around. Every time they asked, we said yes."

McGuire once again repeating this blatant lie. It's about time someone at the club called him out for this. If he said yes every time we asked then why were Port the only club not to wear a heritage guernsey in 2006 (we wore the heritage round logo on our clash guernsey after being told to wear a training guernsey from the era instead of the PBs - it was the game where Daniel Motlop missed a goal after the siren)?

The guy is just a liar.

There's all sorts of mistruths in his rant but most people are now savvy to the type of lying campaigner that he is so filter out his noise in the public realm.

He's still a danger behind the scenes though.

The guy is just a liar.

We also asked to wear it in 2014 vs Carlton to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the 1914 Invincibles but were denied for, um, reasons.

If he always says yes, then there’s no problem.
Exactly. If McGuire always said yes to any request by us to wear the PBs why does he have an issue with the current Collingwood chairman saying yes to our request.

"The Power has since consistently requested to wear the black-and-white striped heritage guernsey in showdowns, but was barred by the Magpies with former Collingwood president Eddie McGuire stridently opposed to it.

Port was permitted to wear the guernsey in round two, 2020, as part of their 150th anniversary, as well as a heritage round in 2003, but had several other requests to wear it knocked back, including in 2021 when players instead changed into the guernsey after a showdown win over Adelaide
."

Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back