Brisbane All Time Team as of '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know we have done it before, but with each year passing particularly during a strong era, I feel that our threepeat teams have or should have less of a presence that as little as 2-3 years ago. So post your teams, lets have some discussion while we wait for next weekends finals to come around.

This is my stab.

FB: C Johnson H Andrews D White
HB: N Lappin J Leppitsch C Scott
C: J Akermanis M Voss (c) H McCluggage
HF: D Zorko J Brown (vc) L Power
FP: C Cameron A Lynch D Bradshaw
Foll S Martin S Black L Neale
Int: J Daniher J Dunkley J Adcock T Rockcliffe

I've included Daniher who some might disagree with for his ability to play backup ruck and interchange with the other key forwards.
I've included Dunkley who has not been with us that long because I think he has been close to the best defensive mid going around for some time now. When let off the chain, and not having to put defense first he can dominate games and stoppages in his own right.
Of our current list, I could see Starce and Kiddy having an argument to be in this team.

Unlucky to miss out:
D Rich - Great clubman and did a good job as a defender but he is competing for a spot against Chris Johnson IMO and I think Johnno is better just about everywhere.
M Clarke - Our first BnF winner, one of, if not the premier ruckman during his career. I just haven't watched enough of him.
C Keating - Our Mr September. Injured a fair bit during his career but he was our #1 ruckman during our premiership run.
M Michael - A massively important player for us during our 3 premierships. You could make a strong argument for him taking Andrews spot and Andrews taking Whites spot. Honestly, White is my second all time favourite Lion so my bias is against doing that, and I see Whites versatility as a huge asset for any team.
M Ashcroft - Honestly, I really only saw him during the end of his career. Others would know better than me, he could be more deserving of a spot than the 4 I have named on the bench. You don't play 300 games in the AFL by accident and you don't keep getting a game in premiership sides if you're not pretty bloody good.
S Hart - Our first Norm Smith medalist, 273 games, played a lot as a defensive mid IIRC. Could run all day.
M Pike - Fitzroys last BnF winner. 4 x Premiership player. My best memory of him is him tearing the Pies apart in '02 before doing his hammy (or was it something else?). An excellent utulity player. I want to put him in the team over Adcock and Rockcliffe but I am trying not to over represent our threepeat sides.

Chris Johnson would have a look in too, he was terrifying to the opposition, hit like a rugby league player. Given the accumulators already in that side, I wouldn't mind swapping McCluggage in there for Rockliffe as well. I'd probably swap Adcock for Starc too but that is too early to call. Both Keating and Clarke over Steph for mine.

Obviously way too early but let's hope Starc, Wilmott, Lohmann, Morris, WAshcroft, LAshcroft and Payne are in these discussions one day too.

Chris Johnson would have a look in too, he was terrifying to the opposition, hit like a rugby league player. Given the accumulators already in that side, I wouldn't mind swapping McCluggage in there for Rockliffe as well. I'd probably swap Adcock for Starc too but that is too early to call. Both Keating and Clarke over Steph for mine.

Obviously way too early but let's hope Starc, Wilmott, Lohmann, Morris, WAshcroft, LAshcroft and Payne are in these discussions one day too.
I've got Johnson in a back pocket. He is arguably the best back pocket in AFL history. I think he is a lock TBH.

I know we have done it before, but with each year passing particularly during a strong era, I feel that our threepeat teams have or should have less of a presence that as little as 2-3 years ago. So post your teams, lets have some discussion while we wait for next weekends finals to come around.

This is my stab.

FB: C Johnson H Andrews D White
HB: N Lappin J Leppitsch C Scott
C: J Akermanis M Voss (c) H McCluggage
HF: D Zorko J Brown (vc) L Power
FP: C Cameron A Lynch D Bradshaw
Foll S Martin S Black L Neale
Int: J Daniher J Dunkley J Adcock T Rockcliffe

I've included Daniher who some might disagree with for his ability to play backup ruck and interchange with the other key forwards.
I've included Dunkley who has not been with us that long because I think he has been close to the best defensive mid going around for some time now. When let off the chain, and not having to put defense first he can dominate games and stoppages in his own right.
Of our current list, I could see Starce and Kiddy having an argument to be in this team.

Unlucky to miss out:
D Rich - Great clubman and did a good job as a defender but he is competing for a spot against Chris Johnson IMO and I think Johnno is better just about everywhere.
M Clarke - Our first BnF winner, one of, if not the premier ruckman during his career. I just haven't watched enough of him.
C Keating - Our Mr September. Injured a fair bit during his career but he was our #1 ruckman during our premiership run.
M Michael - A massively important player for us during our 3 premierships. You could make a strong argument for him taking Andrews spot and Andrews taking Whites spot. Honestly, White is my second all time favourite Lion so my bias is against doing that, and I see Whites versatility as a huge asset for any team.
M Ashcroft - Honestly, I really only saw him during the end of his career. Others would know better than me, he could be more deserving of a spot than the 4 I have named on the bench. You don't play 300 games in the AFL by accident and you don't keep getting a game in premiership sides if you're not pretty bloody good.
S Hart - Our first Norm Smith medalist, 273 games, played a lot as a defensive mid IIRC. Could run all day.
M Pike - Fitzroys last BnF winner. 4 x Premiership player. My best memory of him is him tearing the Pies apart in '02 before doing his hammy (or was it something else?). An excellent utulity player. I want to put him in the team over Adcock and Rockcliffe but I am trying not to over represent our threepeat sides.
Fantastic side, Dayne Beams maybe deserves a spot, over Rockliff?

Coach- Leigh Matthews. Senior assistant- Chris Fagan.

Fantastic side, Dayne Beams maybe deserves a spot, over Rockliff?

Coach- Leigh Matthews. Senior assistant- Chris Fagan.
I had a hard time when weighing up some of our better players during that 10-18ish sort of period where we were pretty poor for the most part. Browny was obviously far better post premiership era than premiership era but we had some really poor sides during that time and some of our best talent didn't stay around long enough or was woefully inconsistent.

I did one a few weeks ago with some mates at the pub…we choose a sport, an era and a theme every week and take down the results.

Here was our Lions all time:

CJ Merrett Andrews

C Scott Leppa B Scott

Lappin Voss Aker

Power Brown Zorko

Bradshaw Daniher Cameron

Foll:

Martin Black Neale

Interchange:

White Clugga Ashcroft Keating (sub)

Unlucky:

Lynch Hart Adcock McLean M Clarke

I know some might not agree with Merret but he was a monster and could burst packs apart as well as have a run in the ruck. We also took him over Mal because Mal screwed us over with Essendon. In any case, Merret would allow Harris to play more freely on the third tall and get up the field a bit with Leppa.

White was also a hotly contested topic - he could easily move B Scott to the bench but we thought he’d be the ultimate utility off the bench…he could play anywhere.

But otherwise pretty close 👍

Yeah Merrett is a good shout, I only just remember him but he was good enough that he actually had a profile in Brisbane at a time when Brissy was only about the Broncs, so that says a lot.

Below is my team based on the following metrics - must be a life member (minimum 150 games played) OR if the player doesn't qualify as a life member, must have won a Premiership / Brownlow / Coleman / Rising Star / B&F:

Team of 1997 - 2024
COL.MATTHEWSC.FAGAN
BC.JOHNSONJ.LEPPITSCHJ.PATFULL
HBC.SCOTTH.ANDREWSD.RICH
CN.LAPPINM.VOSSH.McCLUGGAGE
HFD.ZORKOJ.BROWNJ.AKERMANIS
FC.McRAEA.LYNCHC.CAMERON
RS.MARTINS.BLACKL.NEALE
INTD.WHITEL.POWERM.PIKE
M.ASHCROFTA.McGRATH
EMR.LESTERS.HARTJ.ADCOCK

Other notes; Fagan is Leigh's senior assistant and Ash McGrath is my sub. Darryl White to play second ruck and literally be the best utility the game has ever seen.

Many unlucky omissions but the most obvious ones were Mal Michael, Clark Keating, Dan Bradshaw, Tim Notting, Robbie Copeland, Dan Merrett and Jamie Charman. Unfortunately, there was no room for Lewy Taylor or Joe Daniher who didn't qualify.

Last edited:
I did one a few weeks ago with some mates at the pub…we choose a sport, an era and a theme every week and take down the results.

Here was our Lions all time:

CJ Merrett Andrews

C Scott Leppa B Scott

Lappin Voss Aker

Power Brown Zorko

Bradshaw Daniher Cameron

Foll:

Martin Black Neale

Interchange:

White Clugga Ashcroft Keating (sub)

Unlucky:

Lynch Hart Adcock McLean M Clarke

I know some might not agree with Merret but he was a monster and could burst packs apart as well as have a run in the ruck. We also took him over Mal because Mal screwed us over with Essendon. In any case, Merret would allow Harris to play more freely on the third tall and get up the field a bit with Leppa.

White was also a hotly contested topic - he could easily move B Scott to the bench but we thought he’d be the ultimate utility off the bench…he could play anywhere.

But otherwise pretty close 👍
I had thought of Merrett as well and I agree with your reasoning. In this era of intercept defenders and having even more license as back to go for the mark rathe, I think White would've been a monster.

What would a side look like that included Bears and Fitzroy players, maybe 3KZ is Football could do one up for us?
Would love to see that. It is always hard though with the game changing so much over the past 130 or so years.

For reference though, I found a pic of the FFC team of the century.

Back Line
Bill Stephen​
Fred Hughson​
Frank Curico​
Half Back Line
Kevin Murray (c)​
Paul Roos​
Gary Pert​
Centre Line
Wilfred Smallhorn​
John Murphy​
Warwick Irwin​
Half Forward Line
Owen Abrahams​
Bernie Quinlan​
Gary Wilson (vc)​
Forward Line
Allan Ruthven​
Jack Moriarty​
Norm Brown​
Followers
Alan Gale​
Norm Johnstone​
Haydn Bunton​
Interchange
Michael Conlan​
Alaistar Lynch​
Harvey Merrigan​
Richard Osborne​
Percy Parratt​
Percy Trotter​

Attachments

• b_fltoc.jpg
    b_fltoc.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Below is my team based on the following metrics - must be a life member (minimum 150 games played) OR if the player doesn't qualify as a life member, must have won a Premiership / Brownlow / Coleman / Rising Star / B&F:
Wait, that means...
Unfortunately, there was no room for Lewy Taylor or Joe Daniher who didn't qualify.
Aww I got excited that you'd snuck Lewy in there somewhere. :D

Yeah Merrett is a good shout, I only just remember him but he was good enough that he actually had a profile in Brisbane at a time when Brissy was only about the Broncs, so that says a lot.
Opinions based game on here obviously :) Absolutely no way for me on Merrett. Was terrible with ball in hand. Also seemed to have a weird ability to look like he was 1cm away from a key forward on a lead and putting insane pressure on them but they would still mark it.

I always thought he should have been a permanent forward. He was fast and strong. Mistakes don't matter as much at full forward. Poor man's Lynch.

Bears players who didn't play for the Lions who you could maybe make arguments for, Brad Hardie, Craig Lambert, McLean
Roger Merrett would HAVE to be in that conversation and possibly Gilby McAdam; both Lambert and Magic played for the Lions, albeit a short period 4 and 1 years respectively. Could be wrong on amount of years played for the Lions Lambert post Bears but he did play an important role off-field at the club with his wife for a number of years there which can't be understated.

Would love to see that. It is always hard though with the game changing so much over the past 130 or so years.

Back Line
Bill Stephen​
Fred Hughson​
Frank Curico​
Half Back Line
Kevin Murray (c)​
Paul Roos​
Gary Pert​
Centre Line
Wilfred Smallhorn​
John Murphy​
Warwick Irwin​
Half Forward Line
Owen Abrahams​
Bernie Quinlan​
Gary Wilson (vc)​
Forward Line
Allan Ruthven​
Jack Moriarty​
Norm Brown​
Followers
Alan Gale​
Norm Johnstone​
Haydn Bunton​
Interchange
Michael Conlan​
Alaistar Lynch​
Harvey Merrigan​
Richard Osborne​
Percy Parratt​
Percy Trotter​
From my limited knowledge on the Roys I know that Murray, Roos, Bunton and Quinlan come straight in.
Bears players who didn't play for the Lions who you could maybe make arguments for, Brad Hardie, Craig Lambert, McLean
Where it would get interesting is who goes out for the likes of Kevin Murray, Bernie Quinlan and Haydn Bunton.

Not sure how old 3KZ is so not sure if he actually saw all or some of those guys play.

Who is the oldest old Fitzroy supporter on our board?

Where it would get interesting is who goes out for the likes of Kevin Murray, Bernie Quinlan and Haydn Bunton.

Not sure how old 3KZ is so not sure if he actually saw all or some of those guys play.

Who is the oldest old Fitzroy supporter on our board?
Outside of 3KZ is Football , I suspect martinson or Roylion or even OldLion would be the go tos.

Back Line
Bill Stephen​
Fred Hughson​
Frank Curico​
Half Back Line
Kevin Murray (c)​
Paul Roos​
Gary Pert​
Centre Line
Wilfred Smallhorn​
John Murphy​
Warwick Irwin​
Half Forward Line
Owen Abrahams​
Bernie Quinlan​
Gary Wilson (vc)​
Forward Line
Allan Ruthven​
Jack Moriarty​
Norm Brown​
Followers
Alan Gale​
Norm Johnstone​
Haydn Bunton​
Interchange
Michael Conlan​
Alaistar Lynch​
Harvey Merrigan​
Richard Osborne​
Percy Parratt​
Percy Trotter​
Gary Wilson comes in, but as a Rover.

Of the ones I saw play Murray ,Wilson ,Roos ,Pert ,Quinlan and Murphy would have to be automatic inclusions because they were all champions and many of the players in the team weren't. They're just classes above the Scott Bros ,McCluggage , Rich , McCrae for a start . Roos and Pert were much better players than Leppitsch , Patfull or Michael. By a long way . Players get overrated because they were lucky enough to play at a time when we won flags.

Bunton has a record that's impossible to match in terms being adjudged the best player in the comp in most seasons he played.

It's too hard to judge of the ancient guys. The Baron was obviously a freakish player . But just not possible to compare from eras so distant although Bunton was considered by many to be the greatest of all time prior to say the '70's.

How would you rate the likes of Pert and Roos against the likes of Leppitsch, Andrews, Michael etc.
Imo miles better at their best , the outlier being Andrews who is a different type and plays a different game. Pert and Roos could play anywhere. When Sheedy coached Victoria in an interstate game there was a howling wind so he put Pert at full back when they were kicking against it and switched him to full forward at quarter time. Sheedy said Pert was the best player he'd seen of that era in football but injuries cruelled him.

Roos was an out and out champion who Captained Victoria several times even when Fitzroy was struggling and that was a huge honour at the time. He started his career on the wing and played at both ends of the ground as well ,but predominantly in the backline.

How would you rate the likes of Pert and Roos against the likes of Leppitsch, Andrews, Michael etc.
I would think Roos in for Leppitsch is almost a no brainer. Whether Leppitsch or Andrews (I have only selected two talls in my team) deserve the no over each other is debateable. But Roos 5 x BnF, 7 x AA, 1 x MVP make him a lock at CHB I would think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane All Time Team as of '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back