Brisbane All Time Team as of '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Before Bernie came to Fitzroy in 1978, it was a case of stopping Wilson & Murphy & you beat the Roys. We had a plethora of great little men in those days - Wilson, Murphy, Irwin, Allan to name a few. But we had no real star key position players. Until Bob Beecroft was moved to FF. He was a great success there. But Wilson used to get bashed most weeks, unfairly of course. You were right about Worsfold in the state game. Except that he broke Osborne's jaw, Not Roos's.
Yeah . Fairly sure Paul got his jaw broken ,and Ozzie had his cheekbone broken the prior year . Both incidents cruelled our seasons because they were our2 best players at the time . The main reason they stopped interstate games were those injuries and a lot of the coaches putting pressure on players to fake injuries so they didn't have to play.

I wish there'd be some way of bringing them back. They were amazing spectacles with the best vs. the best and the players loved playing in them.

Actually wasn't as hard as I though it might be...

FB: Johnson Andrews Michael
HB: White Leppitsch Rich
C: Lappin Voss McCluggage
HF: Zorko Brown Akermanis
FF: Daniher Lynch Cameron
R: Keating Black Neale
I: Bradshaw Dunkley Ashcroft Pike Power

In the end I decided that even Dunkley's still a new player in the grand scheme of things, he still has shown enough in the two years with us. Wanted to squeeze Brad Boyd in there but couldn't justify it. Leaving out Chris Scott was the hardest call probably.

In the end I decided that even Dunkley's still a new player in the grand scheme of things, he still has shown enough in the two years with us. Wanted to squeeze Brad Boyd in there but couldn't justify it. Leaving out Chris Scott was the hardest call probably.
You left a few Brownlow Medallists out.

Last edited:
Lions or Bears? Brad Hardie? Craig Lambert? Roger Merrett? So soon forgotten.

I assumed post-merger. I probably wouldn’t change much if including Bears, maybe Hardie out for Power & Magic McLean in for Scott. Maybe.

I like your team, but if we were including Bears players, I would go in with two rucks and have Merrett in for Dunkley. In a team that has Voss, Black, Akermanis, Neale (all Brownlow Medalists) and Lappin and Power, Dunkley is surplus to needs.

I like your team, but if we were including Bears players, I would go in with two rucks and have Merrett in for Dunkley. In a team that has Voss, Black, Akermanis, Neale (all Brownlow Medalists) and Lappin and Power, Dunkley is surplus to needs.
I'll apologise up front as I havent seen enough of Merrett to really know enough about him. But with Lynch, Brown, Daniher and Bradshaw in the team would we need another key forward? That seems surplus to needs as well.

If anything I'd rather one more defensive player on the bench before a key forward

Few changes for me.

FB: Johnson Michael Champion
C: Lappin Voss McLean
HF: Hardie Brown Akermanis
FF: Merrett Lynch Cameron
I: C.Scott Kennedy Ashcroft Power
Sub: Hart

Coach: Walls

I know most will have Matthews and fair enough, for me 12 of the 2001 premierhsip where brought in or played under Walls, and he took the club from wooden spooners on the Gold Coast to Finals contenders in Brisbane within 4 years. I dont think 2001-2003 is achieved without him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst he was a goose and I'm talking pure football ability and nothing else, I've always rated Dayne Beams' seasons in 15, 17 and 18 and despite him qualifying for my team, I still couldn't fit him in and he was pretty close, but the boy could certainly play irrespective of what I thought of him personally or his poor form in the manner in which he left but hey, two first rounders for a player that had clearly checked out was very nice work by our list managers.

I'll apologise up front as I havent seen enough of Merrett to really know enough about him. But with Lynch, Brown, Daniher and Bradshaw in the team would we need another key forward? That seems surplus to needs as well.

If anything I'd rather one more defensive player on the bench before a key forward
I’d play him in the ruck. Rotating him like we used to do with Keating and Beau McDonald. Merrett has the advantage of playing in the backline too, which he used to do at Essendon.

Cheated a bit with power - he's effectively my sub. I had him in competition with Zorko for a spot. Akermanis is playing forward in my side, not as a mid, although he's got that flexibility obviously.

Lappin is one of the few wingmen in my side and Dunkley can play as a utility as well as chop out midfielder. Like the current side, I've got Daniher taking second ruck duties. I don't recall Merrett playing as a ruck much with the Bears, but could be wrong on that.

Cheated a bit with power - he's effectively my sub. I had him in competition with Zorko for a spot. Akermanis is playing forward in my side, not as a mid, although he's got that flexibility obviously.

Lappin is one of the few wingmen in my side and Dunkley can play as a utility as well as chop out midfielder. Like the current side, I've got Daniher taking second ruck duties. I don't recall Merrett playing as a ruck much with the Bears, but could be wrong on that.
It’s a fun hypothetical. At the Bears he was mainly a forward. Did lots of defensive work and back-up rucking at Essendon. He was 195cm and hard at it.

Few changes for me.

FB: Johnson Michael Champion
C: Lappin Voss McLean
HF: Hardie Brown Akermanis
FF: Merrett Lynch Cameron
I: C.Scott Kennedy Ashcroft Power
Sub: Hart

Coach: Walls

I know most will have Matthews and fair enough, for me 12 of the 2001 premierhsip where brought in or played under Walls, and he took the club from wooden spooners on the Gold Coast to Finals contenders in Brisbane within 4 years. I dont think 2001-2003 is achieved without him.
While I don't think Walls was as good of a coach as Matthews, I can't fault your logic. Walls was the reason for the turnaround with the bears. He got rid of the guys who were there for a payday and his recruitment speaks for itself. The premierships aren't achieved without him and those players he recruited to the bears, but they are also not achieved without Matthews that built on the professionalism that Walls had implemented at the club.

While I don't think Walls was as good of a coach as Matthews, I can't fault your logic. Walls was the reason for the turnaround with the bears. He got rid of the guys who were there for a payday and his recruitment speaks for itself. The premierships aren't achieved without him and those players he recruited to the bears, but they are also not achieved without Matthews that built on the professionalism that Walls had implemented at the club.
I agree 100%, Matthews was a better coach, but as a Bears Supporter from start to finish I saw how much work he did first hand building support and establishing club as not a joke.

Its a personal preference and I know I would be voted down 9 votes to 1 if it was put to a vote. But I can never speak higher of what he did for the Bears,

I agree 100%, Matthews was a better coach, but as a Bears Supporter from start to finish I saw how much work he did first hand building support and establishing club as not a joke.

Its a personal preference and I know I would be voted down 9 votes to 1 if it was put to a vote. But I can never speak higher of what he did for the Bears,
Listening to him commentate the Lions did leave a sour taste in my mouth though.

I like that team , a nice mix of players over the journey .

That team, while full of superstars could use a defensive minded mid though.

Agree, and also, if we're including Bears players, you can swap out Cameron & replace with Capper for mine.

Just for the lol's as much as anything, but if he was in a team that actually kicked it to him, he was a very good forward.

Only positions I'd change is:

Bunton on the wing, Murphy ruck-rover, Wilson rover, Neale half forward.

The ruck is a weakness there. Stef Martin was serviceable, But Norm Brown should be ahead of him. Even Ron Alexander who played in the 70's - 80's & captained the side with aplomb, was far better than Martin IMO. He was a tough & fearless leader who looked after the little blokes. He was also a very good ruckman. I go back to 1974 for my Fitzroy days.
Butch Gale was a famous tough ruck just before my time and had a fabulous reputation team of century Ruckman.

Only positions I'd change is:

Bunton on the wing, Murphy ruck-rover, Wilson rover, Neale half forward.

The ruck is a weakness there. Stef Martin was serviceable, But Norm Brown should be ahead of him. Even Ron Alexander who played in the 70's - 80's & captained the side with aplomb, was far better than Martin IMO. He was a tough & fearless leader who looked after the little blokes. He was also a very good ruckman. I go back to 1974 for my Fitzroy days.
martinson may be older than me, but I started going to the football with my dad around 1967. Best memory from my early years was going to the 1971 Fog Game against Carlton at the Junction Oval.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane All Time Team as of '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back