Brisbane All Time Team as of '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Butch Gale was a famous tough ruck just before my time and had a fabulous reputation team of century Ruckman.
I saw Butch play when I was but a toddler sitting on the bannister on the Edinburgh gardens ground stand or on my uncle's empty tinnies when I was tall enough so I could get a better view.

I'm so glad I was born when I was. Just unprecedented memories of a time when things were so much simpler.

Butch was a legend at the Roys . As tough a nails . He also captained Victoria on one occasion so he was no slouch.

He died of a heart attack sadly at only age 56 when addressing the Fitzroy players before the opening round in 1987. Seriously ,what a way to go.

Butch achieved celebrity status a co commentator with Mike Williamson on Channel 7 for many years. When I was growing up you went to the footy , hopped on the tram or the train and got home in time to watch the footy replay on Channel 7 at 6 pm. Hopped round the corner to pick up the Sporting Globe which hit the streets around 6.30 with reviews of all the days games and the days racing ,and then tuned in to Pelaco Inquest ' on 7 at 7 ' where talking head ex players gave a rundown of each game.

What a life it was. It was exciting.

I saw Butch play when I was but a toddler sitting on the bannister on the Edinburgh gardens ground stand or on my uncle's empty tinnies when I was tall enough so I could get a better view.

I'm so glad I was born when I was. Just unprecedented memories of a time when things were so much simpler.

Butch was a legend at the Roys . As tough a nails . He also captained Victoria on one occasion so he was no slouch.

He died of a heart attack sadly at only age 56 when addressing the Fitzroy players before the opening round in 1987. Seriously ,what a way to go.

Butch achieved celebrity status a co commentator with Mike Williamson on Channel 7 for many years. When I was growing up you went to the footy , hopped on the tram or the train and got home in time to watch the footy replay on Channel 7 at 6 pm. Hopped round the corner to pick up the Sporting Globe which hit the streets around 6.30 with reviews of all the days games and the days racing ,and then tuned in to Pelaco Inquest ' on 7 at 7 ' where talking head ex players gave a rundown of each game.

What a life it was. It was exciting.
First went to see the Roys in 66 the last year at Brunswick St Oval....great memories. Also couldn't wait for the the pink paper to arrive at the milk bar on Saturday night. It was mandatory to buy a box of Coconut Roughs to eat watching the telly. Family originated from Falconer St. Nth Fitz which ran into the park.

martinson may be older than me, but I started going to the football with my dad around 1967. Best memory from my early years was going to the 1971 Fog Game against Carlton at the Junction Oval.
I was there that day, around the wing area.
You had no idea what was happening after the ball left your area of vision.
Scores were relayed by the spectators, up and down the ground.

I was there that day, around the wing area.
You had no idea what was happening after the ball left your area of vision.
Scores were relayed by the spectators, up and down the ground.
We were on the outer wing (DRY AREA).

First went to see the Roys in 66 the last year at Brunswick St Oval....great memories. Also couldn't wait for the the pink paper to arrive at the milk bar on Saturday night. It was mandatory to buy a box of Coconut Roughs to eat watching the telly. Family originated from Falconer St. Nth Fitz which ran into the park.
My Dad was from Holden St.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane All Time Team as of '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back