Brisbane face another big loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Bowers' isn't asking for your sympathy.

no he is asking the AFL for more money because of brisbanes poor management

Bowers said the Lions would ask the AFL for a greater annual distribution to help cover some costs the club says are unique to it, including the running of a suburban Brisbane oval, which is used for training and by other local clubs.

no he is asking the AFL for more money because of brisbanes poor management

Bowers said the Lions would ask the AFL for a greater annual distribution to help cover some costs the club says are unique to it, including the running of a suburban Brisbane oval, which is used for training and by other local clubs.
OK, so we know you can put text into bold, now can you read the said text?

What has management got to do with what he is saying?

Will the media now play down the Gold Coast move for North because does this not indicate the type of marketplace the Roos would face if they were to relocate?

Will the media now play down the Gold Coast move for North because does this not indicate the type of marketplace the Roos would face if they were to relocate?

Gold Coast is the type of market that's too tempting to just give up without a try, but too difficult to make work.

There is no way the Kangaroos would survive more than 5 years on the Coast without serious help.

Some people don't understand this, yet are pushing their relocation.

Will these be the same people who have a cry about the allowances if the Roos move?

from your boss

A significant part of the Lions' cash problems relates to the back-ending of several big-name player contracts, including Michael Voss, Justin Leppitsch and Chris Scott.

No, the author of the article said that.

At the end of the day, the Lions biggest down fall was their arrogance. Most of their hardcore 20,000 odd support that remains was built on the back of the Bears/Lions 1990's grassroots work.

The 3 flags did nothing to build on the Lions long term support.

you're missing the point - the Lions' success has done much to lift the profile of the sport in general in Qld but that doesn't necessarily equate with new lions supporters

we have to work doubly hard for every recruit, first we have to convert them to the sport and then we have to convert them to the lions

as an emerging market, the AFL should be doing a lot more to promote the sport up here and bearing some of the burden of developing the game

[edit:] ...and another thing - it annoys me that the same clubs who bitched about the equalisation measures for the frontier clubs like Lions and Swans are the same ones who have hypocritically put their hands out to accept the cash from the windfall TV rights deal...why were the rights so large? because the competitive lions and swans teams had made the RL states switch on their tellies

peace

Also another factor is that it costs so much to goto a game. Its like $45.00 for an adult seat, in comparison to something like the $20 bucks to goto a broncos or roar game.

Whilst enjoying the local 'Quest Community Newspaper' recently, the KooK's eye's were diverted to a Brisbane Lions promotion - in which 'family' ticket packages were being marketed at $8 per head.

Gold Coast is the type of market that's too tempting to just give up without a try, but too difficult to make work.

It is a tempting market, i guess now is the right time to make a move into the region, get a team their in the coming years and build from there.

I'd rather them try and fail now then go up in 10-15 years and fail....although i believe over time it could definitely work.

Whilst enjoying the local 'Quest Community Newspaper' recently, the KooK's eye's were diverted to a Brisbane Lions promotion - in which 'family' ticket packages were being marketed at $8 per head.

Thats cheap, but probably an isolated case as the Lions recieve a huge amount of $$ from memberships for a team with one of the lowest membership tallies in the league, expensive reserved seats would be the main contributer to that.

Its pretty simple.

In Queensland, people do not turn up if your team is loosing.
When people don't turn up, you don't make money.

Complete and utter bullshit.

The Cowboys were wooden-spooners for a decade yet they always got great crowds.
The Roar haven't made the finals yet but in both seasons have had bigger attendances than everyone bar the eventual winners.
The Broncos were coming dead last for much of this season and are averaging 36,000+.

Possum, head over to Ticketek and show me where I can buy a Broncos ticket for $20.

And nice try attempting to compare dear seats to cheap seats...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you read the full promotion?

Thats the cost of a family membership averaged out per person over the entire season.

If you were trying to dispute possum's ticket price statement, you failed.

I definately disagree- even with the merbership department folk-They have done all that is expected of them to retain members- take it from one. You need to have lived here to understand how far the sport has come here.

You cant make people spend there money if they dont want to, its going to take a long time to develop the level of passionate supporters that the big clubs have.

Just think were the sport in brisbane would be if we did not win 3 premierships?

Well, I lived on the GC from 1998 to earlier this year, so I saw how the sport developed (I used to just rock up to the Gabba and get a ticket at the gate, I soon got out of that habit), but what the Lions didn't expect was for them to drop off so dramatically. I would also be interested to know what impact the Aker debacle had, he was rather popular with a few people.

Though I don't wholly agree, I think there's some truth in this. I think the club could have done more to build on the success, to at least maintain a viable supporter and membership size. I mean, it's easier to cover say a loss of 5000 members during your down time if your usual membership is around 40000 (to 35000) than 30000 (to 25000) - whether this was possible is not known. But usually you're going to lose members anyway when you're not performing.

I suppose it can also be argued that North Melbourne didn't build on their success in the 90s properly either, and are now struggling.

Well, we didn't have the money to build on it. We were struggling to keep our head above water during that era, we looked to merger in 96 with Fitzroy to boost up the membership base and eliminate the debt accumulated while Miller ran us into the ground off-field.

Our membership has been steadily increasing since that era (other than this year for obvious reasons), Brisbane is going backwards pretty quickly. I guess that is probably because we were still fairly competitive for a number of years post our premiership era, Lions just a couple of years later have struggled on-field.

I think our presence in SEQ will not help Brisbane's cause, if the AFL creates a gold coast team or lures a club up there then things could get bleak for the Lions. I have no doubts that people will go out and want to watch a winning team but when you are at a low ebb you get a pretty good look at your core level of support.

There is no way the Kangaroos would survive more than 5 years on the Coast without serious help.

Some people don't understand this, yet are pushing their relocation.

Will these be the same people who have a cry about the allowances if the Roos move?

i hear you mate. The same people that whinge that we get 1.5 million from the AFL from the CBF are the ones saying we should relocate to the GC and have the gall to say that the AFL will look after us and never let it fail and the AFL will give us copious amounts of money.

Can someone explain this to me, it didn' make sense...

A significant part of the Lions' cash problems relates to the back-ending of several big-name player contracts, including Michael Voss, Justin Leppitsch and Chris Scott.

"If we had our time again, a couple of years ago when we were raking in profits, we possibly would have liked to have accrued some of this year's player salaries into previous years," Bowers said.

What does player payments have to do with cash problems? Everyone has the same salary cap, more or less, it doesn't matter how you divide that up amongst the players. You would only be hindered if you were making brown paper bag payments in addition.

I would also be interested to know what impact the Aker debacle had, he was rather popular with a few people.

That's an interesting point. Plus losing many of the senior players from the premiership era (Voss, Leppitsch, Darryl White) gives the team a new look that may have made people lose interest. Frankly though, if people are that petty, we don't really need them.

What does player payments have to do with cash problems? Everyone has the same salary cap, more or less, it doesn't matter how you divide that up amongst the players. You would only be hindered if you were making brown paper bag payments in addition.

Basically saying that the salary cap, being stable over the years, combined with the unstable cashflow of a club going through periods of success/decline can create problems.

From a business standpoint, its a reasonable point, for example imagine a bank making extra money one year but by law not being allowed to invest the extra profits, therefore any gains from that investment are lost.

Then the following year, the bank makes below their expectations but they are forced by some law to spend more than they earned, instead of bunkering down and mitigating their losses.

I think thats the point he is trying to make, purely a business one. He's not asking for the salary cap to be reduced, just explaining how the financial situation arose. It can make it hard for a club to capitalize on the good times, and make it hard for them to weather the bad times. Once again, this is purely a business perspective, not a sports administration one.

The salary cap is a good idea, don't get me wrong. But it, along with the cyclical nature of operating a team within the AFL system can restrict the options purely from a business standpoint.

Good point there.
All teams pay roughly the exact same amount in salary payments each season.It has nothing to do with cash flow problems, or cash problems, or a drop in our membership. Nada, nothing.

I think we were caught napping as someone here said before.Also we haven't devised new strategies to encourage members to jump on board.
Maybe the Aka and Mal negative publicity saga has taken its toll.Both were well liked by a lot of members.Who knows.

I do know that the prices of GA tickets change from week t week. The Adelaide match they were around 20.00, the next game was the Collingwood match and the price had nearly doubled for the exact same seats.38.50. This was going into a ticketek agency and having them show you the seating, so no mix ups on exactness of seats.I wouldn't think this would be encouraging people to come to matches.My sons wanted to take some Uni friends to the collingwood match, thats why I know the exactness of the change from week to week in the pricing.

Also I think the Roos is a different kettle of fish, different market totally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cellotape View Post
Frankly though, if people are that petty, we don't really need them.
Agreed, but their money would be nice.

"Were those presents the three kings brought Jesus for Christmas or his birthday?" - Karl Pilkington

Maybe we should listen to WHY people are unhappy, why members are no longer members. Then we should actually be proactive and do something to turn it around.

Maybe as someone here said, we have been arrogant in our attitude as a club to our members and supporters in QLD.

Maybe we should listen to WHY people are unhappy, why members are no longer members. Then we should actually be proactive and do something to turn it around.

If their reasons aren't valid, stuff them. Every team goes through a rebuilding phase. Our team was old, and our only choice was the play the young guys. Some things are inevitable. Why would we placate bandwagoners?

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane face another big loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back