Preview Brisbane Lions v Melbourne Demons - Friday, 28 June 2024, 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that re their style change. The style doesn’t work as well though when you’re not feeding the ball out in that congestion to prime petracca, oliver, Brayshaw and Viney.

Their 'style change' is a two week sample size comprising losing to collingwood by 6 goals and beating norf by 3 points. I don't think it is worth reading into at all.

Don’t underestimate Melbourne
Yes totally agree. Listening to Max Gawn yesterday being interviewed spoke about how much they were looking forward to playing us, spoke about the history between the clubs and how confident they were of knocking us over. I’d expect a bit of spice in the game. Go lions!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dunkley could play on one leg and still have a bigger impact than 2024 clayton oliver

I feel like we are not a team you would want to kick long and straight to. Andrews, Payne and Lester are all very good intercept marks and it would play straight into their hand. Ball would likely be rebounding back pretty fast.

I feel like you could go Neale head to head with Viney and just keep doing what everyone else has done and tag out Oliver. Once tagged out his head is dropping at the moment and he's not putting in the work. Rather keep him not finding form against us.
This all makes sense. Melbourne have generally tried to arrange a loose player in their defence, to allow Lever to zone off and intercept mark etc. So it stands to reason that this would give us a spare somewhere on the field also. If that happens it will be interesting to see whether we go and man up their spare, keep ours around the ball or fight fire with fire and play a +1 behind the ball as well.

Speaking of which, do we know if Lever is due back this week? Have heard very little about him in recent weeks.

A N-B will get someone - question if it's through the middle, or Zorko?
Great comment... I actually hope teams do start going to Zorko. If nobody else, Sydney absolutely WILL do this and it would be good for us to be ready for this... Whether it involves Zorko specifically doing things as bit differently or whether it means we send more ball through Wilmot and McKenna, I don't mind. But I feel the earlier we see this, the better off we'll be in the long run.

A bit like how Harris Andrews needed someone like Ben King to do a number on him to actually understand how to respond when faced with that type of opponent.

Great comment... I actually hope teams do start going to Zorko. If nobody else, Sydney absolutely WILL do this and it would be good for us to be ready for this... Whether it involves Zorko specifically doing things as bit differently or whether it means we send more ball through Wilmot and McKenna, I don't mind. But I feel the earlier we see this, the better off we'll be in the long run.

A bit like how Harris Andrews needed someone like Ben King to do a number on him to actually understand how to respond when faced with that type of opponent.
zorko has years of midfield experience where he learnt how to work through a tag, imo he should already have the skillset to do so.

Good ole Gluteus Maximus.
dhp.gif

zorko has years of midfield experience where he learnt how to work through a tag, imo he should already have the skillset to do so.
That's a really good point... It's amazing how easy it is to forget (well, for me it is!) that Zorks has played probably the vast majority of positions on the ground at some stage during his career.

Perhaps the bigger test will be not so much his play, as his temperament. He's been pretty good ever since the Melbourne Round 23 game in 2022, but I guess the fuse is always there in the background, just waiting to be lit.

That's a really good point... It's amazing how easy it is to forget (well, for me it is!) that Zorks has played probably the vast majority of positions on the ground at some stage during his career.

Perhaps the bigger test will be not so much his play, as his temperament. He's been pretty good ever since the Melbourne Round 23 game in 2022, but I guess the fuse is always there in the background, just waiting to be lit.
But that's what's made him a great player.

If he didn't have that fire he would never have overcome being overlooked in 6 drafts nor being the smallest guy on the ground in the worst team.

Will to come straight in. No reason to play in the VFL, nothing to be gained there. Interesting to see if Dunks & Lohmann both get up. Dev to cover Dunks if he doesn't? Lyons?

But that's what's made him a great player.

If he didn't have that fire he would never have overcome being overlooked in 6 drafts nor being the smallest guy on the ground in the worst team.
if zorko had played his peak at either a successful club or a big melbourne club he would have a fair few more all australian jackets and a much bigger profile.

one of the more seriously underrated players of the past 10 years for me. his combination of defensive application, contested ball winning and foot skills is really unique... cant think of too many like him.

if zorko had played his peak at either a successful club or a big melbourne club he would have a fair few more all australian jackets and a much bigger profile.

one of the more seriously underrated players of the past 10 years for me. his combination of defensive application, contested ball winning and foot skills is really unique... cant think of too many like him.
A few guys on here seem to love highlighting every little brain fade and forget that he carried us for a long time and was the only really classy player we had . So he got targeted and had to absorb the physical pressure and all of the blanketing tactics that were thrown at him.

I thought he was done at the end of last year so to me this year shows what a champion he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back