Preview Brisbane vs Essendon, The Gabba, 10/05/2014 @ 4:40 AEST

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon there maybe minimal changes this week, next week when returning from an interstate trip off a 6 day break is when I reckon we will see the changes

If we can't beat Brisbane without Chapman and Fletcher, what's the point?

That is a good point, but if we are just in a form slump we need all hands on deck to get out of it and we just cant afford to drop another game to a bottom 4 side.

That is a good point, but if we are just in a form slump we need all hands on deck to get out of it and we just cant afford to drop another game to a bottom 4 side.

I'd rather give Ambrose and Aylett a crack than get an injury to a Chapman or Fletcher type. If that means we're only at 95% rat power this week and that affects the way we play, then pack it in and get ready for 2015.

I'd rather give Ambrose and Aylett a crack than get an injury to a Chapman or Fletcher type. If that means we're only at 95% rat power this week and that affects the way we play, then pack it in and get ready for 2015.

one of those will probably have to come in for Winderlich anyway

one of those will probably have to come in for Winderlich anyway

That's true, although Gleeson is to come back in as well.

I take the point about wanting to go 100% at every game given our form, but if we want to get any value out of Fletcher, Chapman and Winderlich, we need to ensure that they're not driven into the ground.

I take the point about wanting to go 100% at every game given our form, but if we want to get any value out of Fletcher, Chapman and Winderlich, we need to ensure that they're not driven into the ground.

I do agree and if Winderlich were to play then Chappy could well have missed but there is a BYE week after next and he and Fletcher did have a week off only 3 games ago, just think its super important to make sure we square the ledger at 4-4 and then have a real crack at the Swans before the break.

The original point I was trying to make is that it maybe beneficial given the 6 day turn around and back from an interstate trip that they leave Gleeson, Ambrose and Bellchambers out til the Sydney game

The original point I was trying to make is that it maybe beneficial given the 6 day turn around and back from an interstate trip that they leave Gleeson, Ambrose and Bellchambers out til the Sydney game

There's a VFL bye this week though, so that'll be 21 days between games for Gleeson, and 2 games in one month for Amby and all season for Belly. The bye complicates things really.

By resting Chappy and Fletch, as well as Winders missing the week, you've got 3 "ins" ready to go for the Sydney game, without needing to pick a kid who hasn't played for a fortnight, if not longer, if we're required to make a change from a full strength side.

This season's going to become even more unpredictable. Need four points, most importantly. Need to do everything to scrape the next two wins, and take 5-4 into the bye and re-group.

That said, it should not be surprising, or disputed, that it is a prudent (and likely) step to rest Fletcher and Chapman in some matches.

The reality is that the older blokes will need a rest because the youngers ones aren't doing enough. If we were cruising, Chapman and Fletcher would be able to dance around in their respective 50m arcs all day, but Fletch is under the pump down there with too many D50 entries and Chap has to almost drag us back into games or over the line. Against the Dogs, I could swear that I saw Chapman running to apply defensive pressure more than probably all of our other mids. Younger guys have to pick up the slack.

There's a VFL bye this week though, so that'll be 21 days between games for Gleeson, and 2 games in one month for Amby and all season for Belly. The bye complicates things really.

By resting Chappy and Fletch, as well as Winders missing the week, you've got 3 "ins" ready to go for the Sydney game, without needing to pick a kid who hasn't played for a fortnight, if not longer, if we're required to make a change from a full strength side.

Yeah True VFL Bye really messes it up then doesn't it, Still would be wild if we dropped this game after resting players, we probably wouldn't have won th other night if Fletcher wasn't out there.

This makes sense, then we can bring in Fletch, Chappy and Licha the following week for Z. Merrett, Ashby and someone else for Sydney (fwiw we can afford playing all four of the key defenders with Buddy/Goodes/Tippett/Reid)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This makes sense, then we can bring in Fletch, Chappy and Licha the following week for Z. Merrett, Ashby and someone else for Sydney (fwiw we can afford playing all four of the key defenders with Buddy/Goodes/Tippett/Reid)
If those four ever appear on the park together. Even if they did that, you'd want some smalls to be able to win it at ground level and run it out.

We have a bye in two weeks - That gives them a rest.

If those four ever appear on the park together. Even if they did that, you'd want some smalls to be able to win it at ground level and run it out.
They're apparently going to play this week

Yeah True VFL Bye really messes it up then doesn't it, Still would be wild if we dropped this game after resting players, we probably wouldn't have won th other night if Fletcher wasn't out there.

The reaction will be fierce, but let's be honest, we should be flogging Brisbane, regardless of whether Fletcher and Chappy play or not. Their absence won't lose us the game. If we lose, it's because the team we put out there didn't play up to its level.

The reaction will be fierce, but let's be honest, we should be flogging Brisbane, regardless of whether Fletcher and Chappy play or not. Their absence won't lose us the game. If we lose, it's because the team we put out there didn't play up to its level.

But we are really out of form and if its the difference between us winning and losing in the current form we are in then we need them, if we do all of a sudden flick the switch and start playing quality football we don't want to be coming from too far back having lost a game like this. If things were going to plan I have no doubt this is a game they would have had penciled in as rest game for the older blokes but I just think in our position its to delicate to take risks.

The bigger risk is the risk that we don't have Chappy and/or Fletch 100% right for the Sydney game.

The team we put out there on Saturday will be better and in better form than Brisbane. If we don't win, it'll be attitudinal, not personnel.

Is it really worth your effort to build this profile just to troll an opposition team? If so start again and keep a ratio of two positive posts to every negative post.

How am i trolling? Honestly, all i said is i think we will lose? We lost last year to them and the way we are performing i have a feeling that one of their spuds will play their best game of the season against us and we will lose the game. Sorry is there some rule that says all posts must be positive? muppet.

I agree that we SHOULD be able to beat Brisbane and rest a few of the older guys.
If we do this I'd like to see Hardingham and Ambrose come in, given T.Bell will likely get another week in the twos.
Team still looks OK, and Hardingham and Ambrose give us a few extra options up forward;-

Hibberd Hooker Baguley
Dempsey Hurley Gleeson
Stanton Watson Zaharakis
Goddard Carlisle Melksham
P.Ambrose Daniher Howlett

Ryder Heppell Hocking

Bench from: Hardingham J.Merrett Z.Merrett Ashby

Can anyone advise if we can seek permission to play listed players in a suburban or bush league during a VFL bye? Maybe like EDFL league or something. Likes of Thurlow Belly Hardingham Dell etc

With Winderlich a likely out I'd prefer Chapman plays. He had a week off a few weeks ago and I think will be fine to play the next 2 games. Fletcher they can manage however they want. Our defense has generally been strong anyway.

I think we may need to do a decent amount of changes:
Winderlich out (Inj) Hardingham In
Zac Merrett out Gleeson In
Ashby Out Ambrose In

Fletcher out Bellchambers In (Carlisle to play down back)
Chapman out Dell'olio In (I'd prefer this one didn't happen)

If Merrett and Ashby come out this week then they will be able to have a week off and be ready to play if need be against the Swans. Both have shown a fair bit but also aren't ready for week in week out at the top level yet. I really want Ambrose to come back in. Gleeson also is very important to the team even though new.

With Winderlich a likely out I'd prefer Chapman plays. He had a week off a few weeks ago and I think will be fine to play the next 2 games. Fletcher they can manage however they want. Our defense has generally been strong anyway.

I think we may need to do a decent amount of changes:
Winderlich out (Inj) Hardingham In
Zac Merrett out Gleeson In
Ashby Out Ambrose In

Fletcher out Bellchambers In (Carlisle to play down back)
Chapman out Dell'olio In (I'd prefer this one didn't happen)

If Merrett and Ashby come out this week then they will be able to have a week off and be ready to play if need be against the Swans. Both have shown a fair bit but also aren't ready for week in week out at the top level yet. I really want Ambrose to come back in. Gleeson also is very important to the team even though new.
If find i hard to credit that people actually think it is possible that Carlisle is a chance to play back at this point in time... I don't mind people arguing the point theoretically, but when it comes to naming ins and outs, whats the point of naming Carlisle down back? Even if there was room for him, Bomber is nowhere near that idea yet. He certainly would never put him down back to fill in for a resting defender!
We may only be a few bad losses from restructuring, but i find it hard to imagine how Carlisle can play back when our backline is so solid and in peak form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back