Bruce McAvaney... I think its time

Remove this Banner Ad

The commentary last night was deplorable. Bruce was probably the worst, but none of them were good.

I could tell Cyril dropped that mark at first viewing and I was surprised it was paid at all. Then the commentators are outraged about it for the next 20 minutes!? Get a grip.

Richo was the only guy who said 'nah, it wasn't a mark'

Stand by Richo

NOTE FOR THE AFL:

The AFL need to step in when it comes to the standard of commentary. Commentators need to commentate on what is happening on the field and nothing else, no opinions, jokes, bias etc. Our game will never be able to expand world-wide of even fully national until this is cleaned up. Outside of the people that already love this game, its going to be hard to sell the game to new areas. A lot of the time, if you listen to our game on TV/Radio, it sounds like an episode of Wipeout. Bad jokes, Bias, useless stats, talking about other sports and really bad english (such as 'nothing doing').

Should absolutely not be doing Hawthorn games. It's beyond a joke. I always feel bad for Puopolo - he's a grown man and dedicated athlete for ****'s sake, stop calling him shit like 'Little Poppy.' Is Poppy even his nickname? Poor bloke's going to have to mute his own highlight reels when he retires.

At least as bad is his love for Rioli. There was a game last season where the ball came into Hawthorn's forward 50, Bruce makes some call like 'keep an eye out for Cyril!', ball goes to pack mark situation, Rioli not in contest, ball goes to ground, some other Hawthorn bloke picks up and goals, Bruce spends next few minutes talking about how important Rioli is because he doesn't even need to get near the ball to impact a contest. I don't have a hard on for Cyril and I'd prefer it if Bruce didn't try to work one up for me.

Last edited:
It's enough to make you spew, but are we really calling the axe for a commentator for getting excited when a good player has the ball in his hands?
I think we are mourning a formally brilliant commentator who has managed to turn himself into a complete clown.

Not as good as he used to be, but are we really going to pot him for getting excited about the actual football in this era of scandals? Especially when we also have commentators like 'Hammer' and Basil talking total shit for half the night.

Will we ever see the rights in the hands of 9 or 10 ? Or are we stuck with 7 for all eternity

Yep, Peter Landy is my all time favourite. Think he's a bit old to make a comeback though. Peter Donegan still has a bit left in him though - he was pretty good.
Peter Donegan still commentates on the country radio station feed - it's called AFL radio live or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His love for cyril and patty is sickening. Cant stand him. If anybody you would think hed be biased towards adelaide but hes so victorianised now its cringeworthy.

I remember people making similar comments about Richie Benaud 10-15 years ago.

You will miss Bruce when he's gone.

Tonight was another example. He was gushing over Geelong when they were in it and then was almost disinterested when the Swans blew the game out. Thank God Danger didn't get too many touches after quarter time or Bruce would've drowned in his own body fluids by fourth quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce McAvaney... I think its time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back