All Australian
May 3, 2009
Bundoora, Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeton-Whitton Crows
WTFTFTFTF?!

I just heard on Sunrise, that a number of players have been signed to the Gold Coast, with Melbournes Cameron Bruce as one of the players.

NOOO!!! We'll miss him next year. I know most of the people on this board hate him, but he is a needed player in our team atm.

That was floated a few months ago, and from memory, no-one was too concerned.

Cam's been a terrific servant, but he is by no means unreplaceable. We'll miss his experience but not his ability, Morton with another pre-season under his belt will compensate as a utility.

I hope he makes it official, if true, before the end of the year so the fans get the chance to give him a nice send-off. The Bock-like resentment won't be there.

From a financial perspective, I can see why he would want to go.

Adelaide seem to think they will get a late first round pick for Bock, so what do we think for Bruce? Somewhere in the second round is my guess.

As i said in the other thread it’s a win win. Bruce will get to extend his career and earn more money (assumed on both fronts) and we free up a spot on the list and in our best 22 for a kid and we avoid a potential Robbo style situation with Jmac being pressured to retire.

Adelaide seem to think they will get a late first round pick for Bock, so what do we think for Bruce? Somewhere in the second round is my guess.

You'd have to think he'd actually measure up well in the calculator devised by the AFL. In fact we may even get more for him than if we flogged him on the open market…

The way Gold Coast are recruiting they're going to win a premiership in their inaugural season.

Wouldn't be too upset if Bruce went. He played his best footy with us, and we should be fairly compensated. If he can get a better deal at the Suns, I say good luck to him and wish him all the best.

It breaks my heart to see him go, but if it extends his career and allows us to play another youngster, it's for the better.

I hope they announce it so we can give him a send-off game against the Kangas.

I think he has been through a lot of rebuilding in his time. I wonder why he would go (unless they are offering him 2 years - which he wouldnt get at Melbourne) With one more year he may get to play finals next year .. I think he has been great for Melbourne and if he went I would love to send him off with a good win. I really dont think the club would mind a pick in the 20's or 30 's would be good (he is not as good as Ball who went for pick 33).

Leasts its not one of the new gen (would hate for Bail to go back home)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how years does he really have left? turning 31 this september

I don't think he would go for less then two years unless they have offered him huge money for just one year & he wants to cash in, but I really don't see the point of GC doing this as it will create instability after only one year in the comp if they are recruiting players for a token year.

Not sure what his plans are for life after footy but maybe Bruce is pursuing a coaching/development role after footy with the GC also?

Wouldn't be shattered. He's been a great servant so good on him if he goes and picks up a fat pay day for a couple of years. Let's hope we get another Jack Grimes out of it like the last time we sent somebody past their prime to Queensland.

Wouldn't be shattered. He's been a great servant so good on him if he goes and picks up a fat pay day for a couple of years. Let's hope we get another Jack Grimes out of it like the last time we sent somebody past their prime to Queensland.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. He's playing well at the moment, but at his age, we would only be looking at keeping him on the list for 1-2 more years anyway.

I know it's only rumour and not confirmed, but if he is the only player we lose to the Suns/West Sydney, then we got out of that fairly unsathed.

As for what we should receive in return for Bruce, if Bock is worth pick 26, then we would more than likely get a pick below that. I rate Bock a better player than Bruce, younger too. I think we'd be looking at a pick between 30 and 40.

Will be interesting to see how he is treated at the B&F, especially after Moloney pretty much told McLean he is not welcome and wanted anymore. I'm hoping Bruce will be looked upon more favourably by supporters and players. He's been great for us over the years...

If true, this is the greatest news i've heard since the debt was demolished. Bruce is the only player on our list who holds value by compensation but not by trade. We are likely to recieve an early 2nd round pick as he is a former BnF winner and has finished top 5 a number of times. Whilst the stats will say bruce is having a great year I can't wait to get him out of the side. we are trying to build a game plan around speed and skill, Bruce has neither. Personally I thought bruce was smashed by hodge on the weekend, although he didnt have a lot of the ball every time he did hodge created a scoring chance for the hawks, on the other hand bruce gets all his touches across CHB and has no real influence on the game. Dont get me wrong I love bruce and have for some time now, but going forward he is not in our best 22 and if we can pick up something for him now than that is a huge bonus. If he were to play on I think next year would be his last, potentionally this way we could pick up a quality player who will be around for years to come...Please be true

if this happened, you would be like..

FUUUUUUU-

On a serious note, if he does go it won't be a huge blow, mainly just a loss of an experienced player. But you're coming along nicely in development and you will still have Captain McDonald for some guidance so it will be fine.

and imagine what you could get in return from the Gold Coast..

If he does go, I wish him all the best and thank him for his great service at the club over the last decade.

He was important for us in some tough games this year and I am not necessarily sure that we can replace him in a hurry although our defence will be better next year as a whole so that will compensate to some degree. 31 later this month so at least we can say we got the best out of Brucey and if we get any reasonable compensation (don't hold your breath) then that could be our 3rd pick if we use one.

Guys I would be extremely surprised if Bruce was a target of GC
He is over 30 and has 1 -2 years left in him!
GC can get 12 uncontracted players from the clubs it total ( as I understand it)
They will be targetting 23 - 26 year olds e.g. Nathan Bock.
I just do not see Bruce as being a target.
Warnock perhaps but not Bruce.

I believe I heard (on SEN) that the compensation takes into account the players age (you get more in return for experienced players), the players abilities and percieved leadership potential amongst other things. I would think we would get something decent for Brucey and given his age and the direction we are headed it would appear to be a win for the club and for Bruce and maybe even the Suns if he did go.

If he does I wish him all the best and, like others have mentioned, would like to know in advance so we could send him off with a win vs North.

if this happened, you would be like..

FUUUUUUU-

On a serious note, if he does go it won't be a huge blow, mainly just a loss of an experienced player. But you're coming along nicely in development and you will still have Captain McDonald for some guidance so it will be fine.

and imagine what you could get in return from the Gold Coast..

My sentiments exactly.

I don't believe this rumour to be true!
Why would the Gold Coast want to recruit someone over 30?
They surely would be looking at players who could give them 3 years quality service at the least!
The absolute oldest age they should be looking at is 28!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour BRUCE to Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back