Review Dees v Suns - Good Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

He just said let’s see how that pans out. The uncertainty and interest is good for both Jack and Todd come to think of it with north trying to get a senior player across. Not great if he leaves but I just reckon wait till it actually happens.

One thing I enjoyed was Dwayne letting us know multiple times that the Sun's could make history by winning 11 whole games.
Imagine the mad Monday having missed their finals aspirations but won 11 games.

It will be a good day when Dwayne Russell and Derm hang up the mic’s. Listening to them both during the same game is torture.
I can’t even tell whether Derm says anything sensible anymore - who knows? Maybe he does? - but I have to get up and calmly leave the room every time he uses his “explaining voice”.

Today I missed the greater portion of the game for that reason. The explaining voice was in full glory

Was out all day because I thought this was going to be another shit slog and I am sick of us losing 53-70 or something like that as I expected. My partner said she was surprised we went out when a dees game was on, I said it's a dead rubber and I just couldn't give a shit. (At this point it was like 7 goals each in the second quarter so already high scoring for a dees match) I didn't get much of a chance to check in in the second half but was surprised when the lead got bigger and bigger. Sounds like there was nothing to lose and they played with some freedom. Will watch the replay later.

I can’t even tell whether Derm says anything sensible anymore - who knows? Maybe he does? - but I have to get up and calmly leave the room every time he uses his “explaining voice”.

Today I missed the greater portion of the game for that reason. The explaining voice was in full glory
He’ll roll out his advice for key forwards every call and his value goes backwards from there. Another past player that doesn’t keep up or understand the interpretation of the rules which helps no one.

Alright finally home, hope you were all nice to Dancing Potato while I was gone.

It's clear now that our inability to score coincides with me watching games 🤗

Question for the learned scholars – is it a full replay worthy game, full second half, or Kayo Mini?

Alright finally home, hope you were all nice to Dancing Potato while I was gone.

Question for the learned scholars – is it a full replay worthy game, full second half, or Kayo Mini?
I suggest watching the second half. 1st quarter was not AFL standard for sure.

If anyone has ever doubted the existence of mansplaining, they just need to listen to Dermie.

He has these moments where he starts speaking in those slow, fragmented sentences as though he assumes everyone his hanging off is every word in awe.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good:
  • Tholstrup did some really nice things getting further up the ground and involved in several nice chains through the middle. Had him pegged as 'role player' type ceiling but might be more there.
  • Viney obviously, vintage with a little extra attacking flair. I still see him becoming more of a Parker type mid who spends more time forward. He can kick goals.
  • McVee getting plenty of mid time and looked good
  • Rivers fighting back to have a pretty decent day after a terrible first qtr and a bit.
  • Turner showed a little more again. Spark plug early and then cashed in late. Looks more athletic than I first thought.
  • Howes and Hore were both good.
  • We scored, more attacking spread when ball was in dispute instead of setting up defensively.

Bad:
  • Derm getting several playera names wrong and doing it multiple times
  • Worse draft pick most likely but I doubt it matters. We seem destined to spend it on Houston or some other piece anyway. If not then it is super even draft anyway.

Ugly:
  • Gold coast. They just threw it in after half time.
  • Goal umpire robbing Tholstrup of a 2nd goal. Review unable to overturn even though 1 angle looked like no touch. Other 2 angles were blocked by a player and then the goal post, lol.

If anyone has ever doubted the existence of mansplaining, they just need to listen to Dermie.

He has these moments where he starts speaking in those slow, fragmented sentences as though he assumes everyone is hanging off is every word in awe.
He started carrying on about some famous artist at one point when Turner kicked a goal.

Depends on how much time you have on your hands really. We looked good in the second half but likewise the Suns looked dreadful. And that of course could have been because we made them look dreadful, but it was hard to tell. For a supporter it just had a dead rubber feel to it.

On second thoughts, definitely watch the lot. Viney played an incredible game and there’s a decent chance it’s the second last time we get to see him in red and blue.

He started carrying on about some famous artist at one point when Turner kicked a goal.
That was gold.

But also a moment when I had to calmly get up and stand outside for a few moments

Depends on how much time you have on your hands really. We looked good in the second half but likewise the Suns looked dreadful. And that of course could have been because we made them look dreadful, but it was hard to tell. For a supporter it just had a dead rubber feel to it.

On second thoughts, definitely watch the lot. Viney played an incredible game and there’s a decent chance it’s the second last time we get to see him in red and blue.
Ended up watching the first half highlights, then the full second half. Agree that Viney was immense, Langdon and Turner good too. Midfield looked much better (less predictable without Oliver, though Gold Coast were hot garbage too, so hard to read too much into it).

Was a somewhat odd post-game interview from Viney, did enjoy him referring to 'Jared Rivers' though.

Ended up watching the first half highlights, then the full second half. Agree that Viney was immense, Langdon and Turner good too. Midfield looked much better (less predictable without Oliver, though Gold Coast were hot garbage too, so hard to read too much into it).

Was a somewhat odd post-game interview from Viney, did enjoy him referring to 'Jared Rivers' though.
I liked Jared rivers being randomly evoked. I liked Rivers.

The post game interview made me think Viney plans to ask for a trade - I can’t think of another reason for his being uncharacteristically cryptic.

The post game interview made me think Viney plans to ask for a trade - I can’t think of another reason for his being uncharacteristically cryptic.
Personally got the sense that he's been told to straight bat the questions by his manager. Reckon the North offer is just going to be leverage to extend his contract with us.

Yeah, I've been more in the camp of expecting him to stay, but that was hardly convincing. It read (to me at least) that he's going to request a trade if we don't come to the table with a nice extension offer (which he probably expects us to do).

Can't in all honesty say that I hope he leaves, but I also hope we don't get spooked into extending him for multiple years on big money. Was awesome today, but is still nearing the end of his effectiveness as a full-time mid at AFL level, imo.

Personally got the sense that he's been told to straight bat the questions by his manager. Reckon the North offer is just going to be leverage to extend his contract with us.
Yes this is possible. Viney is no Max Gawn with the media so any of those direct questions are going to draw something pretty clunky.

Yeah, I've been more in the camp of expecting him to stay, but that was hardly convincing. It read (to me at least) that he's going to request a trade if we don't come to the table with a nice extension offer (which he probably expects us to do).

Can't in all honesty say that I hope he leaves, but I also hope we don't get spooked into extending him for multiple years on big money. Was awesome today, but is still nearing the end of his effectiveness as a full-time mid at AFL level, imo.

I don't want them to extend him at all but if we do it beyond 2026 we are ****ing stupid as hell. Would much rather get a look at him in 2025 before we talk about contracts, but clearly North are going to come hard so we will need to put a contract in front of him or he requests a trade.

Yep. I hate the idea of him in another jumper but he is nearly 31 with a body under midfield punishment for a long time now, and he doesn’t have the versatility to play out the back end of his career in a different role.

I really wish that all other teams had a salary cap to stop them from their dastardly cheating ways, but we could have some extras for a red and blue retirement fund, like people who adopt retired racehorses or greyhounds. We could have Crossey, Viney out there in a nice field in snug red and blue blankets. Pedo would be there. I could take them apples.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dees v Suns - Good Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back