Review Dees v Suns - Good Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Which players have even played more than we thought they would? Howes? We dont have a locked in 6th defender anyway

Windsor? Playing VFL aint gonna help him he needs to get up to AFL speed

Tholstrup? Sure I guess so but most of our guys have sucked playing his role anyway

Then its like Woey and Brown playing 3 games? Wow so impressive
Tholstrup is probably the only one for me, Windsor was a surprise in a sense that he looked a bit undersized but it was pretty obvious he was good to go early on.
Disco did play well but I still dont see him as a long term forward, far more suited to playing back. He played the deeper role more often which gave him more opportunity but it pushed Fritsch up the ground who was pretty meh so Id say whats the point?
Just dont see a 10 year forward myself but I do think he could go down back and help Lever
This is what I was meant before. Turner definitely has a future and showed some forward craft but I have my doubts about being a full time forward. This is why we need a Peter Wright.

Tholstrup is probably the only one for me, Windsor was a surprise in a sense that he looked a bit undersized but it was pretty obvious he was good to go early on.

This is what I was meant before. Turner definitely has a future and showed some forward craft but I have my doubts about being a full time forward. This is why we need a Peter Wright.
Oh yeah I think Turner has an AFL future I personally see more value down back than forward though.

With May, mcdonald and Tomlinson coming to an end, he'll have to go back anyway, playing forward seems pointless it's a short term fix.
That's why I was so un interested in yesterday's win

Tomlinson, Salem, McDonald, Hore in the backline, Billings and Viney in the midfield, Turner Petty Melk forward. Just so much meh and not a team that will do **** all next year or into the future

Disco did play well but I still dont see him as a long term forward, far more suited to playing back. He played the deeper role more often which gave him more opportunity but it pushed Fritsch up the ground who was pretty meh so Id say whats the point?
Just dont see a 10 year forward myself but I do think he could go down back and help Lever
Just needs to learn to be a ****ing loud mouth and I reckon he can take over from Lever. I'd have Petty 'fullback' taking the best deep forward, Turner as CHB/second tall and then have Lever do his usual 3rd tall and have May floating round filling holes or better yet getting out there getting kicks. See if we can stretch him out a couple more years. Tommo and Tommy are still AFL defenders but they can be immobile campaigners elsewhere if someone wants them.

Probably harsh on Tom, he at least tries attacking options by foot, spose he could stay on as a spare.

Just needs to learn to be a ****ing loud mouth and I reckon he can take over from Lever. I'd have Petty 'fullback' taking the best deep forward, Turner as CHB/second tall and then have Lever do his usual 3rd tall and have May floating round filling holes or better yet getting out there getting kicks. See if we can stretch him out a couple more years. Tommo and Tommy are still AFL defenders but they can be immobile campaigners elsewhere if someone wants them.

Probably harsh on Tom, he at least tries attacking options by foot, spose he could stay on as a spare.
Tmac probably playing well enough to be a key back on a list somewhere.

Wouldn't take much for a new regime to get us going again. **** off Tommo, Salem, Sparrow, Oliver and find a couple young blokes who can kick and haven't been playing for us and we're good.

Only watched the highlights but Disco looked good, always liked him as a player so happy to see him put in a nice performance.. . however completely agree with mrmonkey though. The veil wearer inside me imagines the damage yesterday's game did. Goody thinking hes on the right track and it was just injuries, Goody thinking the forward line is actually in good order with Petty and Turner now, this was their first year as full time forwards and they will only be better next year, Viney will be given a 2 or 3 year extension, and as mentioned the pick, some campaigner we could really use will go at pick 5 or 6.
Disco was quite good. Don’t know whether he really will make it as a forward, but there is something nicely old school about his approach. He totally wrestled a defender out of his way to take a mark at one point. It reminded me of the odd classic games Foxtel roll out from the 90s and 80s

Disco was quite good. Don’t know whether he really will make it as a forward, but there is something nicely old school about his approach. He totally wrestled a defender out of his way to take a mark at one point. It reminded me of the odd classic games Foxtel roll out from the 90s and 80s
I think hes playing on pure instinct and just reacting to each moment and doing ok. I dont see a 'natural' forward though

That's why I was so un interested in yesterday's win

Tomlinson, Salem, McDonald, Hore in the backline, Billings and Viney in the midfield, Turner Petty Melk forward. Just so much meh and not a team that will do **** all next year or into the future
Fair enough, I still enjoyed the win but in the long run it's not much.

It's an opposite situation. I said that to a north supporter at work after the west coast game, it reminded me of our game in 2015 when we blew it against the saints, losing like that sucks at the time especially if your team has barely won for the last 3 years but in the long run it won't matter, there's a lot of potential coming through.

Okay I reckon I have one more thing to say about commentary.

They should make it a rule that each team have two good sports callers with lots of radio experience to actually call the game. Two so they can switch as needed like a radio call. Special comments guys need to learn not to talk over the caller. This gets even worse in dead rubbers but they need to stay professional.

Seriously, I have tried closing my eyes for a few minutes to see if I can follow what’s going on, and there are times when you wouldn’t know a goal had been kicked until 2 minutes after it happened.

AFL want to grow the game, so you can’t assume everyone watching knows what is going on. Also it just sounds cliquey and excludes people if it’s just four guys chatting about the old days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is Dermot calling Trent, Jared, seriously peoples biggest take aways from the match?

You blokes must be fun to work with

How is Dermot calling Trent, Jared, seriously peoples biggest take aways from the match?

You blokes must be fun to work with
It wasn't, i just pointed out i found it mildly amusing

Bit rich if you can't have a little laugh. Lighten up

It wasn't, i just pointed out i found it mildly amusing

Bit rich if you can't have a little laugh. Lighten up
I thought it was funny too. Plus I liked rivers so it’s nice that he lives on in minds and hearts

I think hes playing on pure instinct and just reacting to each moment and doing ok. I dont see a 'natural' forward though
I agree with this take on Turner as a forward.

That he’s a bit unconventional might work to his advantage as that third/fourth target. Doing things that the defenders don’t necessarily expect. Turner is used to reading the ball in the air as a third man up defender. Being far from the main forward target can somewhat simulate that.

I can’t see him ever being the main man forward though. No explosive speed, no great agility on the ground. He would be taken to the cleaners by even an average backline as the main target.

Once there’s room in the backline for Turner it will be handy to have him for the option to swing forward. It’s hard for me to see Lever, Turner, Hore and Tomlinson coexisting in the same backline.

It will be a good day when Dwayne Russell and Derm hang up the mic’s. Listening to them both during the same game is torture.
Makes you realise how lucky we've been making finals keeps us away from these knobs and the other C graders most weeks, I've got a feeling next year is gonna be painful listening

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dees v Suns - Good Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back