Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahh yes but Ireland said the swans won't trade for buddy if hawks match. We all know they still would trade but is is big risk for the hawks, if we said na don't want him and they get stuck with a 9 year deal

It would only happen if it were pre-arranged between Pickering, Buddy and the Hawks.

100 players had deals, though Judd's made up about 30% of the total value of all deals! So, Judd's deal was about 50 times as big as the average!

BTW, I know other players have 3rd party deals, I know other players still get some 3rd party deals through. I was just taking the piss out of your victim mentality in regards to Judd's recent deal not being approved, when for years he had the one deal that was out of step with the competition, with less lucrative deals being rejected in the following years.

You will have to excuse Carlton supporters for feeling like victims at times. The way we have been wacked over salary cap indiscretions compared to other clubs, Judd's 4 week suspension for a chicken wing tackle compared to serial offender Rioli's one week. Judd being treated like he was the only player on a 3rd party deal. We do feel a little paranoid at times.

1001_BuddyForBloods-Update.jpg

Turning 27 in January and then 9 years?

Even the premise of the deal is ridiculous.
Would anyone honestly believe Buddy will even play until he's 36 let alone produce any significant output until then?

But the premise is the sign of a club, and a league that is exploiting an obvious unfair leg-up to no end. It's a free for all, but only for one club.[/quote).
Oh dear, and we obviously take peptides as well!!!

The cunning plan of Sydney Manchester United.

Claim it's 9 years, spreading the pay lower on average per year.

Reality: doesn't play 9 years (duh), works out to be way more per year in the long run once the contract is paid out.

Rinse and repeat with other players in the future.

This is Salary Cap rorting if there ever was one. If the so called "investigation" does nothing, then surely the rest of the competition won't just step back, cop an unfair double standard, and just let the Manchester United of the AFL take form - will it?

I'm just curious as to the loophole that Sydney have already found to allow the final 2-3 years of Franklin's contract to be paid outside of the cap? Perhaps a business interest for life after football could pick up the bill (unofficially, of course).

You will have to excuse Carlton supporters for feeling like victims at times. The way we have been wacked over salary cap indiscretions compared to other clubs, Judd's 4 week suspension for a chicken wing tackle compared to serial offender Rioli's one week. Judd being treated like he was the only player on a 3rd party deal. We do feel a little paranoid at times.

It's because you're a pack of whingers, not because the whinging was valid.

Oh im sorry, I didn't realize the money we got from good crowds increased our salary cap :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Do you think you would get the money from good crowds if you played say only one game per year against Essendon at there home ground Etihad, Carlton at their home ground Etihad, Richmond as the away team?

Massive issue for you and the AFL. The deal was not done with the AFL's blessings. Would have been some interesting conference calls today.

Totally messes us up. Swans don't need to exposure of Buddy anywhere near as much as we do.

They're already established in the Sydney market. We've yet to get a toehold.

AFL should look to veto this for the good of the league.

He's completely shit on the club. Negotiated with Sydney a year ago after the GF loss and lied about it for 12 months. Remember early this year when he "shocked" the Hawks by suddenly putting off contract talks? Well he'd already been dealing with Sydney for months.

And he's gone with a deal that is specifically and cynically structured to ensure it cannot be matched by Hawthorn and thus they have no hope of forcing a trade and getting decent compensation.

It's a huge "**** you" to Hawthorn. Huge. Wonder if there was something more to it. It almost seems malicious.

I completely agree with you, what has happened is an insult to the Hawthorn Football club and all their stakeholders with a contracted player initiating secret talks with a team 12 months before his contract expired. He has pulled the same move as Ross Lyon but it is a hell of a lot worse.

Totally messes us up. Swans don't need to exposure of Buddy anywhere near as much as we do.

How can the afl veto it, if we show we can pay him inside the salary cap, what has it got to do with the afl or 16 other afl clubs??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just curious as to the loophole that Sydney have already found to allow the final 2-3 years of Franklin's contract to be paid outside of the cap? Perhaps a business interest for life after football could pick up the bill (unofficially, of course).

Maybe if he retires the remaining contract will just be paid as is, anyway, or spread over more years, resulting in a smaller yearly cap hit.

How many home games do Collingwood play at the MCG now? This year we played 9 with two home games at docklands against the Saints and bulldogs which turns out to be their home ground. So we would be happy to have 11 home games there next year thanks.

How many times did you play Essendon or Carlton at their home ground?

So you would be happy to play at the MCG every second week in the interests of keeping the competition fair and balanced?

I sincerely hope that you land him. I'm pretty sure we don't want him at Hawthorn given what has transpired today.

The legitimacy of the AFL was bad enough with the drugs saga, now another COLA exploit?

It would be like race organisers letting their favoured runner start 20 metres in front of everybody else before the race even starts.

sick em eddie for once we need you to tear into these pricks ! absolute farse that they can get a free hand to rape and pillage the comp

and you hung the lions out to dry some years ago , that was chump change compared to this robbery

poor hawks must feel betrayed

He's completely shit on the club. Negotiated with Sydney a year ago after the GF loss and lied about it for 12 months. Remember early this year when he "shocked" the Hawks by suddenly putting off contract talks? Well he'd already been dealing with Sydney for months.

And he's gone with a deal that is specifically and cynically structured to ensure it cannot be matched by Hawthorn and thus they have no hope of forcing a trade and getting decent compensation.

It's a huge "**** you" to Hawthorn. Huge. Wonder if there was something more to it. It almost seems malicious.

The Hawks have bent over backwards for him, in every way, including the creation and development of Nena & Pasadena.

I can't believe he'd **** them over like this!!

How can the afl veto it, if we show we can pay him inside the salary cap, what has it got to do with the afl or 16 other afl clubs??

Well, the AFL has said it will investigate the contract. Has the smell of Tippett MKII already but could be worse.

Each club has a 3rd party deal salary allowance. IT IS NOT PART OF THE SALARY CAP. from memory it is 600k over the whole squad per year, club sponsors can pay players. Judds deal was excluded from this 600k sponsorship allowance, so carlton could get club sponsers to pay more for the other players in the squad.

I am well aware of the 600k that each club has to pay players. When i posted that 100 players had 3rd party deals like Judd did you said that they didnt have deals that were excluded from a 3rd party salary cap. These 100 players had 3rd party deals that were NOT part of the extra allowance that each club gets. So they were independent of the club's salary cap.
Repeat, Judd was not the only player with a 3rd party deal that was excluded from this 600k sponsorship allowance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back