Injury Buddy out for up to 3 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Carlton, a team we put to the sword, can beat Collingwood with Nick Duigan as their key forward there is no reason why we can't do the same with Roughie, Gunston, Bruest and Rioli. We have 6 guys, other than Bud, who have kicked 10 or more goals this year and a couple of others sitting on 8 or 9. We will go in with an air of unpredictability and if we make O'Brien and Maxwell accountable like Carlton did then we are every chance.

We also have our backline working well and our mids in good form so really there are no excuses, Buddy or not. It is disappointing that he will miss some games but that's footy. It will give us a good indication of how far we have come as a team and if we really are a "one man team."

I personally think he will miss 4 games. Hamstring strains at Hawthorn are generally 4 week jobs. He will certainly miss 4 weeks if we manage to beat dogs, pies & bombers.

I'm one of the glass half full guys. Although we are undoubtedly better with him I'm still very confident of playing well without him.

With regards to team selection I wouldn't bring in another ruckman, I'd stay with the Roughy & Hale partnership. I would play Rioli permanent full- forward and play Burgoyne on the ball to cover for Rioli no longer playing there.

We look like a fast team now, bringing in another ruckman will slow us down.

Stay positive guys, something has happened since the Tigers game. Carlton & the Kangaroos aren't as bad as everyone thinks. Both of these teams could have beaten the Eagles and in Carlton's case they just lost to Geelong, beat Collingwood despite their personnel problems.

Hodgeys a concern. Let's hope he gets back in enough time to make a meaningful contribution in 2012.

Don't underestimate how good this bloke is. As Brad Scott has said he is the closest thing to a captain/coach in the AFL currently. Fair compliment from a current day coach who played for one of the great modern teams with Michael Voss as his captain.

My plan for him would be to play him at Box Hill on the weekend of the Geelong game than bring him into the seniors in Rounds 20 & 21 for the Suns & Port games. That will give him, hopefully, 3 weeks of continuous football before tough games in rounds 22, 23 and Ofcourse finals.

As for him not fitting into our team, please spare the rubbish. Just need to get him right.

I don't think so, Gunners is still a kid, only kicked one goal last week. Roughead is the man, he would be the main key forward if he was playing in any other team.

Rough Hale Burger Breust Rioli and Gunston all could 4-5 goals on any given day. Good challenge for Clarko and players now. Not a disaster unless we lose the next 4 and we miss top 4 and then the shiiit will hit the fan.

Hodge out until round 19 is a lot worse as it basically means his season is over. he will have no match conditioning or fitness and if we play him our rotations will cop a hiding. This is more of a blow as we need Hodge in a big Final.

Hard to play him when he was misdiagnosed in the first place...

Once again though, this still isn't an issue of whether the selectors have done anything wrong.

Your whole line has been based around the mistake in selecting Buddy when the information given by the people who should know was that he was right to go. Medicos may need addressing in both cases but the selectors still made the right call based on the information they had.

R

Hodge out until round 19 is a lot worse as it basically means his season is over. he will have no match conditioning or fitness and if we play him our rotations will cop a hiding. This is more of a blow as we need Hodge in a big Final.

Agree. A fit and firing Hodge, to my way of thinking, is vital to our chances this year.

For people to say suggest those angry with this
situation are disrespectful to the rest of the team
or hindsight is a great thing etc completely miss the point !
As stated by others, he was noticeably limping after the Carlton
game and if you have done a hammy you know this already
means damage has been done so you dont want to TEAR it !
Everyone with any idea couldnt believe LAST WEEK that they
were going to play him - as a Swans supporter said to me on Friday
"surely not" ....HELLO.
Do you think Australia would play Glenn McGrath with a dodgy hammy
against Bangladesh if they had an Ashes series coming up ?
Incompetent decision which you could believe happening in 1962
or in A6 amatuers ..............
Hopefully the boys do the job without him

For people to say suggest those angry with this
situation are disrespectful to the rest of the team
or hindsight is a great thing etc completely miss the point !
As stated by others, he was noticeably limping after the Carlton
game and if you have done a hammy you know this already
means damage has been done so you dont want to TEAR it !
Everyone with any idea couldnt believe LAST WEEK that they
were going to play him - as a Swans supporter said to me on Friday
"surely not" ....HELLO.
Do you think Australia would play Glenn McGrath with a dodgy hammy
against Bangladesh if they had an Ashes series coming up ?
Incompetent decision which you could believe happening in 1962
or in A6 amatuers ..............
Hopefully the boys do the job without him

The Australian Cricket board is as dodgy as they come and hence why Patterson was played when he was obvious injured and we haven't seen him in the entire 2010/2011 season..Only now we are seeing him back again but for how long who knows....Look at Watson he is back in Aust and his series is over....

Its a good opportunity to play without Buddy and for him to be fit and fresh for a finals assault. One player goes down another takes his place and this has to happen with Buddy as we could lose him in a final. So, why not have a practice run at this stage of the season with a moderate match and 3 tough ones ahead. We should be building strong variable combinations.

Once again though, this still isn't an issue of whether the selectors have done anything wrong.

Your whole line has been based around the mistake in selecting Buddy when the information given by the people who should know was that he was right to go. Medicos may need addressing in both cases but the selectors still made the right call based on the information they had.

All of us (including me) assumed the information that Franklin was fully fit was correct. Im saying that's not the case. It was fed to us by Medical expect Evans who has become the boy that cried wolf.

Why did they think that Burgoyne could miss this game against the GWS and make Sewel a late withdrawal, yet Buddy is our most important player and showed more obvious cause for concern than both Sewel and Burgoyne and still played him..?? Regardless if Buddy said he was fit to play or not, it is up to the Club to make the final call..
For EG: When a player gets a heavy hit and tells the doctor he is ok to play, yet they don't take that risk and go againts the player wishes to play..
The Club chose not to give Buddy a rest for some reason or another, but at the end of the day he is now out for up to 3 weeks becasue he played when we could of won that game with half our side missing..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All of us (including me) assumed the information that Franklin was fully fit was correct. Im saying that's not the case. It was fed to us by Medical expect Evans who has become the boy that cried wolf.

How do you know he wasn't fully fit? He had a scan, which showed nothing. He passed a fitness test. He moved freely during the game.

Again, you are speculating.

How do you know he wasn't fully fit? He had a scan, which showed nothing. He passed a fitness test. He moved freely during the game.

Why did he stay in our forward 50 for the entire time he was on the ground and not run and play up the field like he normally does every week.?

As far as I'm concerned if you don't train that week then you don't play, especially when it is GWS.

I also blame Buddy, if he put as much effort into managing the hammy tweak as he does to things like Twitter then maybe we wouldn't be in this situation.

Well that seems obvious now. So did the medicos lie or just get it wrong?

Here's the Q -> would Clarko play Buddy if he wasn't assured he was 100%? I'd bet my left one he couldn't give 2 hoots about crowd attendances, or team % compared with the risk of an injury to Bud so I'm still perfectly comfortable with the match committee being under the impression he was right to go.

The fact he wasn't needs addressing but I honestly don't think the selection panel is where the question should be directed at.

He limped off the week before with a strained hamstring !
Forget the scans , why would you play your star player a week later,
Bill the Postman knows that.............!

Did you see the scan or just Evans telling you about the scan?

Two completely different scenarios imo.

Speculating... which part of the story have I got wrong up until this point? You would think that some people would have clued up by now.

Why did they think that Burgoyne could miss this game against the GWS and make Sewel a late withdrawal, yet Buddy is our most important player and showed more obvious cause for concern than both Sewel and Burgoyne and still played him..?? Regardless if Buddy said he was fit to play or not, it is up to the Club to make the final call.. MEDICOS MAKE THE CALL.
For EG: When a player gets a heavy hit and tells the doctor he is ok to play, yet they don't take that risk and go againts the player wishes to play..
The Club chose not to give Buddy a rest for some reason or another, but at the end of the day he is now out for up to 3 weeks becasue he played when we could of won that game with half our side missing..

I'm assuming because those players were sore or had niggles whereas they thought Buddy was fine. Why is this so hard?

If we were in a must win game and Bud was assessed by medicos as 40/60 of making it worse (leaving us short during the game) people would expect we would take their advice and not play him in risking an injury. So if they say he's 100% then the selection panel selects him. You take them at their word in both instances. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Did you see the scan or just Evans telling you about the scan?

Two completely different scenarios imo.

Speculating... which part of the story have I got wrong up until this point? You would think that some people would have clued up by now.

You are suggesting Evans lied. Do you know this for a fact? I highly doubt it.

These are all just conspiracy theories - maybe you are right, maybe I am right. We'll never know. No point sooking about it though.

At the end of the day no one made him play. Buddy put his hand up so he played. It is not the medical teams fault. If it showed up in a scan there is no way he plays. The coach could have held him back but once you do that he misses 2-3 anyway because once you hold him back you accept he has a hammy.

It is a very fine line. Just last week in the post game interview Mitchell admitted that he was kicking much more on his left becasue he has a sore right hip. Do we leave him out too? Sewell is already resting with Burgers.

Hawks are not going to win a premiership putting blokes in cotton wool.

Firstly, I want to say that I think Hawthorn are just about the best bet for the premiership at the moment as it stands.

But I am wondering where all this new found confidence in your team has come from? It was just over a month ago that most people on this board were talking down the team, then there were people pointing out that the next 5-6 weeks was not very difficult and the Hawks should win them all. To this the negative posters were saying that nothing would be learned until you played decent opposition again.
Soon you will be playing decent opposition in Collingwood, Essendon and Geelong in a 3 week stretch and it is possible Buddy will miss them all and now, after belting the teams that you were expected to belt, you have confidence that the team has ironed out all the kinks and is ready to roll?? I just don't follow the logic. I have a feeling we will know a lot more about Hawthorn and Collingwood after the next 2 weeks and by that time the leading Victorian contender will be very clear.
Thanks for coming on here and posting - it just showed that you have little understanding of the season Hawthorn has had.

We started the season with a tough few games, that most of us would have been happy to be 2-2 after 4 rounds (which we were) and some easy games that culminated in a 5 game winning streak. Then we had the unexpected losses vs Sydney and Richmond, the latter which smacked our guys into being more hungry with the ball. Since the Richmond game, that increased hunger and aggression has seen us win game by an average of 88 points.

It is because of this hunger and aggression us Hawks posters are able to approach games in the future with new found confidence, not illogical at all. But yes, that 3 week stretch will say a lot about where Hawthorn are at and whether our confidence will be vindicated or not.

IMHO, Collingwood should be the premiership faves, having been on a 10 game winning streak with an under-strength team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back