Bulldogs vs Freo, who will win?

Remove this Banner Ad

bradism

All Australian
Dec 11, 2006
Bradelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've seen plenty of the inconsistent Bulldogs this season, but with no Foxtel Freo's rise up the ladder has been shrouded in mystery. What's changed with the Dockers to get them into the top 4? Who do you think will win the game on Sunday between the two that will likely decide which of the two teams finishes top 4.

I'm surprised there has not been much discussion of Freo's dominance this season. What are their strengths and what's going to make the Bulldogs worry?

I think the dogs will win by a comfortable 5 or 6 goals.

We have an eight day break, we have been doing the Darwin trip for six years now so should be aware of what needs to be done to be at our best for the following weeks game & looking at Willys results there is healthy competition for spots in the team

As for Freo's form (don't hang me here Freo supporters), without seeing too many of their games, their large injury toll has forced Harvey into playing the kids and guess what some of em can really play!!!!

Go doggies!!

Hard to see us winning. We are in the top 4 because of our early season form giving us a good start, our form of the last month or so has been average at best, and Barlow going out leaves a gaping hole. The great man with the big snoz is either injured or out of form, and we still rely on him to have a cracking game to match it with the best sides.

My only optimism for this game is based on the fact that we are ranked 4th in tackles, and 5 of the 6 games they've lost have been against sides in the top 6 for tackles (and there was also a lucky win against Melbourne who are 5th for tackles). The Bulldogs are ranked 15th for tackles per game. So maybe those stats are meaningless, or maybe they show that the free-flowing Dogs don't like games with high tackling pressure. If we can sustain a high tackling intensity and pressure, maybe we have a chance, but I guess that is true with any game.

I think the dogs will win by a comfortable 5 or 6 goals.

We have an eight day break, we have been doing the Darwin trip for six years now so should be aware of what needs to be done to be at our best for the following weeks game & looking at Willys results there is healthy competition for spots in the team

As for Freo's form (don't hang me here Freo supporters), without seeing too many of their games, their large injury toll has forced Harvey into playing the kids and guess what some of em can really play!!!!

Go doggies!!

Hey mate,

We have played the kids since last season and that experience is proved valuable this season. Our recruiting staff have also been superb picking up mature rookies like Barlow, Broughton, Ballantyne, Silvagni etc. Those boys aren't young just inexperienced at this level. The new talent has definately stepped up.

In terms of gameplan, we employ a better defensive zone and really apply good tackling pressure. However if that goes missing then so do we as a team. Also if your team is willing to take us on move the ball quickly then we can get easy goals scored against us.

Doggies for that reason with their run and carry could hurt us. If they chip around and try to set up from half back they will get destroyed. Fremantle only 2nd to Geelong with goals scored from turnovers. Thats due to pressure.

Im also certain we are the most efficient side in terms of possessions per goal. I.E we move it quickly and direct. Doggies high possession game will stand for nought if its just flicking it around.

We have a fast and agile, but young midfield. Id expect Doggies mature bodies to smash us physically but if Pav, McPhee and Haselby can offer protection we will do ok.

Sandilands is a giant and in career best form this season... although dropping last month or so. You cant stop him but atleast try to even out his effectiveness.

Your home ground so you will start favourites and should win. That said it comes down to which teams turn up.

Id honestly say Freo have been more consistant this year. However Doggies have looked more dangerous and when they win they win heavily.

If i had to put my life on it id believe in a close contest to half time with Doggies after the break just pulling away.

That said our starts have been terrific due to pressure. If we maintain that for as long as is required and catch Doggies slightly fatigued we are a chance.

Fremantle at $3.50 i think is terrific value and i'll have a piece on that.

Truer reflection would be Doggies $1.60, Fremantle $2.30.

Oh and Dockers have won 6 games this season going in as underdogs.

I've seen plenty of the inconsistent Bulldogs this season, but with no Foxtel Freo's rise up the ladder has been shrouded in mystery. What's changed with the Dockers to get them into the top 4? Who do you think will win the game on Sunday between the two that will likely decide which of the two teams finishes top 4.

I'm surprised there has not been much discussion of Freo's dominance this season. What are their strengths and what's going to make the Bulldogs worry?

Have you heard of this great new invention where you plug your computer thingy into the spiderweb thingy and you can get like tv over the phone wires?:eek:

Seriously where have you been?

I can't see any way of us winning at all. Tarrant's been close to playing the last few weeks and if Hall doesn't play, that would help but the Doggies are just a few more years ahead of us in their development, therefore they'll win.

Agree on the tackling issue. We cant get into a shoot out with Dogs, they will destroy us even though thats when we look at our best.

3rd highest scoring team we are but also 7th worst defense in the 8 so as much as a shootout is great to watch not what i want to see.

Should be close game.

I wouldn't back us, but we're a chance. The Dogs are not in the same class as the top 3 teams and have quite a few weaknesses. But they're a highly skilled team with a far superior midfield. And we're getting players back. McPharlin and Broughton will be better with a run under their belt last weekend, and hopefully Tarrant comes up this week.

So you never know.

I'm falling behind in the tipping, so as this is close to 50-50 (5th v 4th) and most people will be tipping the Dogs, I will tip Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It all depends on how the Bulldogs pull-up after playing in the Darwin heat and humidity last week .... plus the long flight home afterwards.

We usually get the by after the Darwin game.

Dont bring up flights please when talking to a team from WA!

On a 8 day break also.

You can mention Darwin, heat, humidity, Gillard but please dont mention flights.

Freo supporters show some faith rather than conceed defeat before the balls bounced!!
Need to pay close attention to the cross boyd combo its where the engine gets rolling for the dogs.

If Pavlich was in his early season form, Tarrant was fit and Barlow was playing then Fremantle.

At present though I would tip the Bulldogs.

An 8 day break to WB, plus a massive out in the engine room for Freo and form/fitness issues with other key players are my justifications.

Freo havn't looked like executing their gameplan anywhere near as well in the last couple of weeks and that tackling pressure is what could really hurt the Dogs.

Our pressure was there against Port, we won by 57. It was there against Melb in first half, we led by 39 at break. It was there against Richmond but unfortunately we had no defense and only just lost.

No McPharlin, Tarrant, Grover, Broughton.

You cant keep that sort of pressure up all game, no team can or does. What you can hope for is to get the jump and then control the game.

We have executed it well against Swans, Brisbane, Carlton away from home. In every one of those getting the jump and holding on. If we jump Dogs we could do it again. If its even at halftime id expect them to go on with it.

That was last year. This year's form is the result of getting all those senior players back and clicking with the talented youngsters.

That was up until halfway through the year anyway - then we started copping some pretty important injuries again and our form has dipped a little as a result.

As for this game, we're certainly not without a chance but I've tipped the Dogs. Earlier in the year I would have been much more confident but we aren't playing as well as we were at the moment.

Hopefully a game of this importance will be the thing that sparks the return of the ultra-desperate, tough tackling, intense Freo we saw for the first couple of months of the season.

Hard to see us winning. We are in the top 4 because of our early season form giving us a good start, our form of the last month or so has been average at best, and Barlow going out leaves a gaping hole. The great man with the big snoz is either injured or out of form, and we still rely on him to have a cracking game to match it with the best sides.

My only optimism for this game is based on the fact that we are ranked 4th in tackles, and 5 of the 6 games they've lost have been against sides in the top 6 for tackles (and there was also a lucky win against Melbourne who are 5th for tackles). The Bulldogs are ranked 15th for tackles per game. So maybe those stats are meaningless, or maybe they show that the free-flowing Dogs don't like games with high tackling pressure. If we can sustain a high tackling intensity and pressure, maybe we have a chance, but I guess that is true with any game.

yes, bring it on, we have been suspect under pressure with our disposal this year. turning this around agaianst a good team in a high stakes game is exactly what we need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs vs Freo, who will win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back