Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

My opinion - the loss of Johnson and Aker isn't good. The loss of Callan Ward and Murphy is worse.

But what's devastating is a) underdone and hobbling Higgins.

b) the ageing/slowing down of a whole heap of our senior players. I'm looking at Gilbee, Hargrave, Hahn, Gia, Eagleton, Hudson.

Even our key players who are playing absolutely brilliantly like Cross, Boyd and Lake are a tad slower than they once were (not that I'm complaining about their awesome performances)

Throw in a few youngsters who aren't really up to it, like Stack and Addison. And this is what you get.

This is what an ageing side looks like. We hoped to hold the side together with band aids and stickytape in 2010. Unfortunately, it's looking increasingly unlikely.
Would have been the difference tonight for sure even though Aker & Murphy are out of form.

Playing soft football.

Thats exactly it, just not working anywhere near hard enough, far too many spectators, not enough players going in hard enough, all they have to do is watch the way Daniel Cross goes about it.

Having said that, tonight, Collingwood, too good, especially when it counted, Doggies left their run far too late, from too far behind etc etc, you just cannot do that against good sides, in which Collingwood are, however, the Dogs played like a bottom 8 team in the first 3 quarters, really let the Pies dictate terms, when the Bulldogs came back, did all the hard stuff, really lifted to the intensity levels required, the pies poo'ed their pants.

Tonight showed two things, that if the Dogs can play at those levels, similar to last year, they can go far, having both Hall & Lake up forward really scared the bejesus out of the Pies defence, all of a sudden, they didn't have the loose men, or the space to easily zone off, that is a massive "IF" though, because the Dogs have been quite disappointing thus far in 2010.

It also showd me that the Pies can crack pretty easily under pressure, which is what you get in September at the G, i had them as a big chance late September, i'm not so sure now.

When the pressure's on, the Dogs can't handle the pressure. When the sting goes out of the game and tired bodies ensue, that's when the Dogs 'turn it on'. Has been happening for 2-3 seasons. It's simply bullsh!t football and cons people into thinking they're this amazing, free-flowing team.

The result of this and last year's 'comeback' games vs Collingwood? 2 losses.

When the pressure's on, the Dogs can't handle the pressure. When the sting goes out of the game and tired bodies ensue, that's when the Dogs 'turn it on'. Has been happening for 2-3 seasons. It's simply bullsh!t football and cons people into thinking they're this amazing, free-flowing team.

You have to be joking? The difference between the crap the dogs are dishing up now compared to last year are miles apart. In the last two weeks the Dogs have only played 2 quality quarters of footy. More than anything I, along with probably all doggies fans just want to really know what has happened. No one denies that the Dogs are playing woeful footy and it is incredibly frustrating, but a great team would have put us away surely instead of giving up a 40pt lead and possibly using the good old "tired" excuse. Of course it's always fantastic to come away with the 4pts and a win is a win but Collingwood shouldn't be thrilled with the result.

One problem with the doggies is that their midfield is actually very slow, so they don't run the ball through with hands and are forced to kick, but kicking gets eaten up by zones especially if you're going to try and kick through the centre of the ground where the zones are set.

Standard doggies modus operandi.

1. Show a bit of promise. Surely this is the year?
2. Get ahead of themselves. Hype ensues.
3. Crash in a heap and wonder what went wrong.

This could be said for all 16 teams including Geelong in 2008.

Main problems are not working hard enough and not being able to handle pressure at all, we get a fair few contested and 'first' possessions but when the game is there to be won can't hit a target and then when the game is over we can play good football to make it look like we aren't terrible.

You have to be joking? The difference between the crap the dogs are dishing up now compared to last year are miles apart. In the last two weeks the Dogs have only played 2 quality quarters of footy. More than anything I, along with probably all doggies fans just want to really know what has happened. No one denies that the Dogs are playing woeful footy and it is incredibly frustrating, but a great team would have put us away surely instead of giving up a 40pt lead and possibly using the good old "tired" excuse. Of course it's always fantastic to come away with the 4pts and a win is a win but Collingwood shouldn't be thrilled with the result.

I guarantee you that if tonight's game is played at the MCG, the Dogs don't get within 4 goals. Eithad is a basketball court. No lead is safe ... EVER. That's why you have these 'amazing' combacks. They are all played at Etihad. We stunk up the last quarter, no doubt, and our cue was in the rack, but if Medhurst or Ball kick straight, or Leon takes a simple mark instead of attempting MOTY, the game's over. They miss their chances, and the Dogs have their usual 'comeback' quarter to feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Plus I get some valuable Hall and Gilbee Supercoach points. Wins all round!

I guarantee you that if tonight's game is played at the MCG, the Dogs don't get within 4 goals. Eithad is a basketball court. No lead is safe ... EVER. That's why you have these 'amazing' combacks. They are all played at Etihad. We stunk up the last quarter, no doubt, and our cue was in the rack, but if Medhurst or Ball kick straight, or Leon takes a simple mark instead of attempting MOTY, the game's over. They miss their chances, and the Dogs have their usual 'comeback' quarter to feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Plus I get some valuable Hall and Gilbee Supercoach points. Wins all round!

Yeah, lay the boots in. I hope it makes you feel better.

Just remember, the wheel turns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just putting it out there, but I'm not sure Eade is the super coach that he's made out to be. What has he really achieved? One GF appearance in 15 seasons, and that was 14 years ago.

Do Doggies fans really think he is the bloke to lead them to a flag? If not, who would you rather have?

Agree with all of that, the Dogs must lift their intensity levels, if they want to go anywhere, not for 20 mins, or 40 mins, but full games, and they simply cannot gives teams a massive head start.

That said, you look at a team like Geelong, and they simply don't let the sting get away from the game like Collingwod do, they just don't stop, which is why they have been so good for so long, and that's what counts in the big games late September.

I still think the Dogs have an average goal to goal line. Lake is an absolute gun. Hall relies on the mids. Murphy isn't a CHF and they don't have a CHB. That stops them winning flags. Right now though there midfield isn't performing and that is why their form is inconsistant.

As for Eade, I reckon he has a quick use by and they need to shop around if they don't win it this year.

They break your heart time and time again. But it's the card I've been dealt and I'll love (and sometimes loathe) these frustrating bastards till the day I die. What am I supposed to do? Change sides? Go all Celtic Pride? That's footy. Sometimes it's the best feeling in the world, sometimes it's that horrible feeling of helplessness. But I'll still be there next week when we take on Brisbane, because that's just how it is. Go Doggies.... you annoying pricks!

It is only the half way mark. They are in the 8, and have a fair amount to do to seriously be a top 4 side, but I bet they'll be there come R.22

:thumbsu: Barring a horror run with injuries, they'll be top 4 in rd 22. And if they have a good run with injuries, guys like Higgins hit some form, and they can still be a contender.

A lot can happen in 11 rounds.

Im not worried as some. We had some good players out tonight and lost higgins early. In big games like this it's always hard to win with a man down on the bench.

Lake. God i love him. Dominates down back and went forward and was brilliant. Got us back into it. Also people that laughed at the dogs tacking grant at number 5 will be hopefully eating their words soon. Kid has been brilliant this yr and his running goal today was great to watch.

Can someone explain to me why Gerard Healy mentioned Tim Callan as one of the important players the Dogs are missing during this evening's Foxtel coverage? Callan hasn't played a game all year, and is a fringe player at best anyway. I hope for Healy and his credibility's sake he's confused Tim Callan with Callan Ward, otherwise his already-slightly-suspect judgement appears a bit more questionable.

Anyway, for the Bulldogs as a whole, there seems to be a strong reluctance from the media and other 'footy experts' to admit that they might not be as good as once thought. James Hird tentatively questioned it at times this evening on Foxtel, but overall it seems like many pundits still grimly cling to the hope that the Dogs are going to win the Premiership in 2010. I'm not saying my side will win the Premiership (it's Geelong's to lose IMO), but now that we've beaten them twice on their home deck, I think the Dogs should be considered to be solidly behind Collingwood in the league pecking order in 2010, and possibly behind Fremantle, while never having overtaken Geelong or St Kilda.

Looking at our outs today we had johnno, aker, murphy, ward and hargraves.

During the yr weve missed boyd, Picken aswell and even griffen missed some. The injuries we seem to be getting are all in the 1 area. It's either our midfield being hit with Higgins, Ward, Boyd missing our our forward line being hit with Johnno, MUrph and now aker.

5 injuries are hard to cover but it makes it harder when it's all in the same area of the field.

IF and thats a big IF, we can get those players back and playing decent football i think we will be back to where we can be as premeirship contenders.

No bulldog fan will deny that our form has been terrible this yr but we are still only 2 games from the top 4. Some playersz return from injury and a couple of wins and well be right back up their.

Can someone explain to me why Gerard Healy mentioned Tim Callan as one of the important players the Dogs are missing during this evening's Foxtel coverage? Callan hasn't played a game all year, and is a fringe player at best anyway. I hope for Healy and his credibility's sake he's confused Tim Callan with Callan Ward, otherwise his already-slightly-suspect judgement appears a bit more questionable.

Anyway, for the Bulldogs as a whole, there seems to be a strong reluctance from the media and other 'footy experts' to admit that they might not be as good as once thought. James Hird tentatively questioned it at times this evening on Foxtel, but overall it seems like many pundits still grimly cling to the hope that the Dogs are going to win the Premiership in 2010. I'm not saying my side will win the Premiership (it's Geelong's to lose IMO), but now that we've beaten them twice on their home deck, I think the Dogs should be considered to be solidly behind Collingwood in the league pecking order in 2010, and possibly behind Fremantle, while never having overtaken Geelong or St Kilda.

One thing that continue's to piss me off is how BT continues to call matthew boyd brad boyd. The guy is ment to be one of the top commentators going around and boyd is a B&F winner and a stand in captain. His been around for a while now and for BT to continue to ignore that his name is matthew really pisses me off lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back