Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I guarantee you that if tonight's game is played at the MCG, the Dogs don't get within 4 goals. Eithad is a basketball court. No lead is safe ... EVER. That's why you have these 'amazing' combacks. They are all played at Etihad. We stunk up the last quarter, no doubt, and our cue was in the rack, but if Medhurst or Ball kick straight, or Leon takes a simple mark instead of attempting MOTY, the game's over. They miss their chances, and the Dogs have their usual 'comeback' quarter to feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Plus I get some valuable Hall and Gilbee Supercoach points. Wins all round!

Not convinced Etihad is the most favourable ground for us these days. It's a ground that quick running teams dominate on, and we ain't that quick anymore, and with the way we move the ball we require a bit more space. But anyway, it's a moot point because that's where we play and we need to manage it.

The team isn't intense enough. They seem apathetic towards the contest for a large portion of the game and then lift to stop themselves from being completely embarrassed. We're a football club that manages to find new ways to emabarrass ourselves on a yearly basis, and it seems that so far 2010's method is embarrassment through apathy.

Missing 5 of what would be considered your best 22, form aside, doesn't help. But it doesn't stop the guys that do play from being switched on.

Our concern isn't talent, it's headspace. It's so bloody frustrating.

Two weeks ago there was a story in the Herald Sun that showed us to be +10 on average per game in contested possessions and that we had won the contested possessions in 6 of the 8 games. It's a myth based on how we used to play. Our problem at the moment has been more to do with a lack of run and poor skill level

I'm not saying you guys can't get the contested ball, it is the fact you don't like getting the contested ball and don't play your best footy when you have to get the contested ball.

I am sure in the first half against collingwood you had a lot of contested ball but were not getting the score. Bulldogs are dangerous when they are getting a lot of uncontested ball which means they have time to pinpoint passes to what is a pretty average forward line.

Tonight showed two things, that if the Dogs can play at those levels, similar to last year, they can go far, having both Hall & Lake up forward really scared the bejesus out of the Pies defence, all of a sudden, they didn't have the loose men, or the space to easily zone off, that is a massive "IF" though, because the Dogs have been quite disappointing thus far in 2010.

It also showd me that the Pies can crack pretty easily under pressure, which is what you get in September at the G, i had them as a big chance late September, i'm not so sure now.

Err, you do realise that the last 3-4 times the game has gone pretty much to "script" when the two teams have met i.e. Pies jump them for 3 qtrs before tiring and then Dogs mount fightback to make the scoreboard "respectable"?

Also, our last month has seen us travel to Subi to play Freo, return to play Geelong, travel North vs Brisbane on that ridiculously hard Gabba surface that has been a problem for travelling teams all year and then have come back to play a "home" game on the Dogs' home turf. We knew it would be a testing month and to have broken even out of it is a satisfactory result for us, considering we have beaten two "challengers" in that month.

Lets face it, granted it was a great finish in the end, the Bulldogs having an extra day rest, coupled with Pies having to travel to and from the hard Gabba surface was telling in the final qtr when the Pies were out on their feet.

dont rate them they will be somewhere around 5-8 at the end of the season but thats it when in front they are world beaters but when behind they are generally soft

Not going to write them off at all, just over a month a go
  • The 'No Roo, No St Kilda" campaign was at it's strongest
  • Hawthorn were no chance to play finals
  • Adelaide would of been no chance to beat Freo
  • People were talking about Richmond not winning a game all year
  • The sack Knights and Ratten protesters were in voice
This year has been one of the best I can remember for surprising you when you thought you'd figured it out.

Err, you do realise that the last 3-4 times the game has gone pretty much to "script" when the two teams have met i.e. Pies jump them for 3 qtrs before tiring and then Dogs mount fightback to make the scoreboard "respectable"?

Also, our last month has seen us travel to Subi to play Freo, return to play Geelong, travel North vs Brisbane on that ridiculously hard Gabba surface that has been a problem for travelling teams all year and then have come back to play a "home" game on the Dogs' home turf. We knew it would be a testing month and to have broken even out of it is a satisfactory result for us, considering we have beaten two "challengers" in that month.

Lets face it, granted it was a great finish in the end, the Bulldogs having an extra day rest, coupled with Pies having to travel to and from the hard Gabba surface was telling in the final qtr when the Pies were out on their feet.

2008 we played in every State and every Territory and still made a preliminary final. Collingwood travel the least and should be the last team to start winging about travelling.

Not going to write them off at all, just over a month a go
  • The 'No Roo, No St Kilda" campaign was at it's strongest
  • Hawthorn were no chance to play finals
  • Adelaide would of been no chance to beat Freo
  • People were talking about Richmond not winning a game all year
  • The sack Knights and Ratten protesters were in voice
This year has been one of the best I can remember for surprising you when you thought you'd figured it out.

^^ This. There really is a long way to go in this season, but this is big footy so when you lose your undoubtedly shizen and are screwed until long after the GC and GWS concessions go away and when you win you are unbackable premiership favorites.

The Doggies should be there abouts come September providing injuries don't screw them up 3 months from now.

Looking at our outs today we had johnno, aker, murphy, ward and hargraves.

During the yr weve missed boyd, Picken aswell and even griffen missed some. The injuries we seem to be getting are all in the 1 area. It's either our midfield being hit with Higgins, Ward, Boyd missing our our forward line being hit with Johnno, MUrph and now aker.

5 injuries are hard to cover but it makes it harder when it's all in the same area of the field.

IF and thats a big IF, we can get those players back and playing decent football i think we will be back to where we can be as premeirship contenders.

No bulldog fan will deny that our form has been terrible this yr but we are still only 2 games from the top 4. Some playersz return from injury and a couple of wins and well be right back up their.

I still think the Bulldogs will make the top 4, however I don't think you can blame those outs for your loss.

Aker effectively was dropped, Johno hasn't played all year, Murphy has been far from his best and Hargrave is a tall defender - We went in with a small forward line.

Despite the last quarter, we dominated the Dogs, and really the scoreboard flattered you in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure the two preliminary final near misses has gutted this team, they don't really have any fight left in them, despite an early flicker of hope in the NAB cup. When things have gotten tough they have no more to give.

I hope not but the possibility is there. I said last year that the Bullies should have been playing in the Grand Final. I thought it was their year and I still believe they could have won it. There is still time this year but a few injuries to the wrong players can steal that extra 5% that is needed.

Unless there is premiership this year it will be time for hard decisions.

The dogs are playing accordingly considering their forward line.

Stack, Hill and Grant are kids, Higgins has played injured the last two weeks and will now be out for a few more.

We gambled on a fit Johnson and Aker for a shot at a flag and it hasent worked, take the best couple of forwards out of any side and that side will struggle.

The plus side is that we are getting game time into these kids and if we dont win it this year we will be a better side for it next year considering our midfield and backline wont be changing.

The plus side is that we are getting game time into these kids and if we dont win it this year we will be a better side for it next year considering our midfield and backline wont be changing.

Seriously, that effectively means in seven or eight years, in the context of what is about to happen over the next few seasons.

We had to plan for a shot this year, I think everyone understands that, but it is looking like we're not really up to the requisite standard (as much as it pains me to admit that).

Was in a box and Brad Johnson came in and kept saying the dogs would get up. Rodney had punped the boys up all week telling them this is our season on the line, they lose they may as well pack there bags. If the doggies cant get up for that i dont know what there going to go get up for. Really Struggling.

Make no mistake, Malthouse would have been saying similar things to our boys as well. We went into the game on the back to two losses. If we had lost yesterday the pressure down at the Westpac center would have been unbearable.

There was equally as much for us to loose as the dogs yesterday. And we are just lucky we held on.

Will give them a little longer before I completely rule out their window, but it is seemingly getting smaller and smaller. Need to get their act together soon. Typically 14 wins assures you a top 4 spot. They have to win at least 8 in their final 11 games if they want any chance.

Absolultely, which to me, shows that neither side has made serious in roads, which is why i think Geelong are that much better than both our sides.

Your lot travel what, 3 or 4 times a season? and you're going to blame it on the travel factor? and the hard surface? No surface is harder & has lasting effect that the Dome, all players come out and say it, we know the Gabba is also hard, so to me, that is a flawed excuse.

The first 3 quarters yesterday, where was the real intensity? for the first 3 quarters, it was just another home & away game, there was nothing finals about that game, the Dogs were garbage for most of that, yet, the Pies crawled to a holt in the 4th quarter.

If a team is going to run out of gas in "just a home & away" game, they have no chance when the real pressure & intensity required at finals time lifts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back