C Section Amateur Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crowd at Sandy Saturday was massive...I reckon there was 5000+...based on a few reasons...just looking around the whole ground during the day and every area was full....the 3/4 time huddles and people having a kick on the ground.....Mrs RCT and torpettes arrived at half time and she had to park at Sandringham Railway Station and walk to the ground as she could not get any closer, and she said people were still walking in in large numbers at half time...old timers I know from Sandy reckon they have not seen a crowd like it in 20 years.
VAFA official said it was the second biggest VAFA crowd in their memory.

And here's another beauty...bloke I work with was at Moonee Valley Races (pencils for a well known ex AFL player/bookie) and he said they were getting reports of the scores and game out there from people at the races!!!

RCT

Richard Clay Torpedoes said:
OTL

Bevo is an outstanding coach and person...as always his speech post match on the ground was humble...praised the oppositon and of course his warriors and his club, the crowd and officials....and the last people he and Tigers Reserves coach Tim Lamb chatted to before leaving Sandy was Tim O'Shannassy and Ajax officials....just pure quality.

He has the Silverware which is just reward.

I haven't read anything from Scribe about Saturday yet?????

Just finished it now in time for the 2pm AF deadline.

All I can say is it was the most outrageous game of local footy you coudl ever wish to witness. If anyone thinks grass roots footy isn't alive and well in Melbourne, then they weren't one of the fortunately 4,500 who flocked to Sandy on Saturday.

My report is pretty much in keeping with RCT's, dal santo's and the like, but I struggled to keep under the 900 word limit as there was simply so much to write about. Should be available of the website in pdf format on Thursday arvo.

Looking forward to reading it Scribe!

How was lunch and were you persuaded to partake with some of your 'hard earned' and buy a Jackers player at the luncheon auction for their BOG????

And did you notice post match that all the clocks they had as part of their table centrepieces has all stopped at 4.50pm!!!

RCT

RCT. You said the Ammos recon it was the second largest crowd at a VAFA match, but do you know where and when there was a larger crowd? 1979 B grade Grand Final at EP. Closer to 6000 and the canteen had sold out of food before the game started. Oh, I forgot to mention, Ajax were playing that day too.
Just a post script. I have enjoyed reading the C grade posts and for most of the part have managed to have a good laugh. Just a pitty more reserch isn't done before some comments.

Lozza,

I knew the answer to your question as I was also at this match in 1979 - Ajax vs Marcellin if my memory serves me correct...first ever game of VAFA footy I saw...think 1 or 2 of the Rittermans might have been running around this day?? So I guess I lay claim to having been at both games!!

I know the Tigers did an enormous amount of publicity in the week leading up to Saturday via email, mail, sms and in shops around their home base area to drum up their supporters...Having a large Junior section of their club also helps in this respect and there was a large turnout of other local clubs - Beaumaris, Parkdale etc...which when added to the Ajax supporter numbers created a nice earner for the VAFA.

RCT

Well, I have finally got most of that sick feeling in my stomach to disappear (alas I fear it will never leave for good) and have waded through the many posts on this site to have finally decided to put finger to keyboard.

What a game! I have never seen anything like it. The 2nd best game of amateur footy I have ever seen (after the 2nd semi!) I went to the lunch before hand, knocked back 8 or ten beers, a few chicken sandwiches, some chicken drumsticks and some more beer. Almost bought the hardman at the auction but left that to his father. I was ready to take to the field myself after the speeches. Michael Ritterman spoke of his love for the jackas and his hope that he would be able to award the Michael Ritterman medal to his son Jason - touching stuff.

Out to the ground where the missus finally gave in and turned up for her first game of the season - her and hundreds of others!

What a start by the jackas. The undisciplined start by the Tigers (already extensively covered) sure helped but the jackas just seem to catch the tigers by surprise. The pace through the middle and the solid defence of Israelsohn and Gold was just fantastic. However, and maybe it's the Richmond supporter in me, I still didn't feel safe at 47 points up in the second. The halftime beer sure didn't have the greatest taste when that margin had been reduced to 28 points.

And all credit to the Tigers for their great comeback although I will forever hate them for it! I too couldn't believe how many speccies were taken. The tigers seemed to just overrun the jackas in the last even though the jackas did their best to hang on always kicking one back.

I have a few comments to make. Firstly, how much better is amateur footy than the big league at the moment?! 22.12 vs 21.11 would never happen in an AFL final. The coaches would instigate chipping and flooding after 5 minutes (maybe the jackas should have!).

And for all those who call the ajax crowd ferals - I have to admit they weren't too bad. There were the few who ripped into some of the tigers players but they were then greeted with personal abuse from the crowd which was a bit of a shame. Overall though, what a fantastic crowd on a sensational sunny day. I too was amazed by the 8 deep final quarter crowd that twisted from one ajax forward pocket around to the other.

And if the result was reversed, I think Michael Ritterman would have had great pride in presenting the medal to his son at the end of the game. That's one bloke who seems to be like the cartoon characters whose legs start pumping before the body starts moving.

For the guy who saw Rowlings there, I also saw Nathan Burke appreciating the footy standing on his own out the back.

I also can't help but feel horribly about Nick Gold. Came out before the game and, as AJAX's longest serving captain (and model footy player) announced he would be standing down as captain. To then do his knee with just a couple of minutes to go after being close to BOG... what a shame. Lets hope he can pull on the boots next year.

And now for next year where we can only hope that the boys continue to push for finals action. Lets hope that there are some big ins including Dukes and Poyas.

I will see some of you on the B-Grade thread. Thanks to most of you for making this thread just great all year. GO JACKAS IN 2007

Richard Clay Torpedoes said:
Lozza,

I knew the answer to your question as I was also at this match in 1979 - Ajax vs Marcellin if my memory serves me correct...first ever game of VAFA footy I saw...think 1 or 2 of the Rittermans might have been running around this day?? So I guess I lay claim to having been at both games!!

I know the Tigers did an enormous amount of publicity in the week leading up to Saturday via email, mail, sms and in shops around their home base area to drum up their supporters...Having a large Junior section of their club also helps in this respect and there was a large turnout of other local clubs - Beaumaris, Parkdale etc...which when added to the Ajax supporter numbers created a nice earner for the VAFA.

RCT

The most amazing thing about that era was that Ajax was in E grade in 1975 and A grade by 1980. Even those of you who hate Ajax have got to be impressed with that! And how about this:
1975 E Grade Best and Fairest - M Ritterman
1976 D Grade Best and Fairest - M Ritterman
1978 C Grade Best and Fairest - M Ritterman
1979 B Grade Best and Fairest - M Ritterman

Good memory RCT. On that day Ajax had Henry (Melbourne) & Michael Ritterman. Mike Zemski (Hawthorn), Trevor Korn (Melbourne) Rick Marks (Richmond) & Mordi Bromberg (StKilda). Several others had played either VFA or VFL reserves football. I remember it being a brute of a day with the wind howling towards the scoreboard end all day and only one goal being scored at the Glenhuntly Rd end.

From where I watched the game all the Ajax fans were great. It did seem though that a lot of them had no clue about football, but were happy to be there to support their team. Which is fair enough. Back to the footy. How though did Ajax run out of legs (which they did) when their coach has an athletics background? Also thought that AJax were too worried about certain tiger players which unbalanced them the longer the game went. The Tigers kicked 15 goals to 7 from midway thru the second term to be get stronger as the game progressed.

GetSmart said:
From where I watched the game all the Ajax fans were great. It did seem though that a lot of them had no clue about football, but were happy to be there to support their team. Which is fair enough. Back to the footy. How though did Ajax run out of legs (which they did) when their coach has an athletics background? Also thought that AJax were too worried about certain tiger players which unbalanced them the longer the game went. The Tigers kicked 15 goals to 7 from midway thru the second term to be get stronger as the game progressed.

Getsmart, a really good point. They pride themselves on their fitness and boast about the coaches background, so it is a little surprising.
As I said previously, losing a grand final from 50 points up is not something the coach will want to remember too often.

Fellow "C" Grade Posters,

It is with regret that I furnish my final post for the 2006 season.

I will start by saying congrats and commis to St.BMAFC and AJAX for the quality Grand Final that they provided the many supporters. As has been stated previously, one of the best games seen for many a year and one that both teams (and clubs) should be proud of.

I have enjoyed the frivolity and jocular banter that has appeared in this forum and acknowledge that there are some quality posters out there (as well as some fair dinkum floggers who you wouldn't even urinate on!! :thumbsdown: )

I look forward to the "C" Grade pre-season forum where, no doubt, supporters from all clubs will be singing their aspirational praises on the 2007 season.

I am tremendously proud and humble on being selected in Brooksy's "C" Grade Forum TOTY and vow to go 'back-to-back' next year (even eclipsing the great RCT and Red Roy for a leadership role!!!!!) :p

Anyway, time to put the 'white diamonds' in storage and pull on the white flannels and enjoy the 'gentlemen's game' whilst enjoying the hot summer :cool: and truck load of bitterley cold frothies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Yours in Ammo footy until 2007

Guru Joffa

P.S. "Never, ever, right off the Vultures"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsu:

P.P.S. Rupertswood - Fair Dinkum, the great Guru Joffa might be ****ed by about Brighton on the way out to Sunbury!!!!! :eek:

Now that the dust has settled it's time to reflect a little bit and thank the two clubs for putting on such a great show. We should also thank the VAFA, Tommy Brain and all his helpers for being readily available with help and assistance to both clubs during the day.

Love him or hate him Tommy has really matured since being on the Executive and his handling of the after match presentations to the Umpires, Ajax, and SBMT was first class and we should all be congratulating him. Well done Mr Brain......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

crownies2 said:
Now that the dust has settled it's time to reflect a little bit and thank the two clubs for putting on such a great show. We should also thank the VAFA, Tommy Brain and all his helpers for being readily available with help and assistance to both clubs during the day.

Love him or hate him Tommy has really matured since being on the Executive and his handling of the after match presentations to the Umpires, Ajax, and SBMT was first class and we should all be congratulating him. Well done Mr Brain......

Great to see Tom has finally matured at 53 years of age!

Order your very own 2006 Tigers Grand Final DVD

Grand Final DVD's for the Seniors, Reserves & U/19 Grand Finals are available for purchase from the Club. For $25.00 each incl postage within Aust, or $20.00 each collected from the Club.
You get your very own high quality copy of these famous wins. Order via email to president@stbedesmentonetigers.com.au

OR by writing to St.Bedes/Mentone Tigers AFC, PO Box 417, Mentone, Vic. 3194 Aust.... make sure you include a cheque, money order or full credit card details for the correct amount...$25.00 for one $ 50.00 for two or order a copy of all 3 teams wins and the cost is reduced to $70.00 total!

Mobbenfuhrer said:
pazza, I'd love to see the photo! Can you show it here?

It's a bit fuzzy Mobbs and I'm still trying to figure out how to upload the pics from the phone. Hopefully the press got some shots (thinking Jewish News as a starting point) - or Cyan Press, who I believe were there also.

As a final comment from me re: Saturday - If both Ajax and St. Bedes play like that next year in B Grade, they'll both play B Grade finals.

The question is going to be the level of recruiting both need to do over the summer.

Paul Groves, clearly BOG and also took a handy grab.
I thought the AJAX players were fairly soft in that they tried the tough man tactics and they ended up backfiring, shown by the number of pussys that left the ground when the game was there to be won
#27 Bloom fair dinkum disgrace the way he pranced around trying to be Glenn Archer but spent moretime lying on the ground trying to get cheap free kicks, reminded me of the Lonie twins him and some of his mates.
And if you try and head butt someone behind play, try and make sure your the one who doesnt leave the ground with the blood rule, that was the turning point in the last quarter. Signing out Greg Norman

Hey Josh, where were you watching the game from. Bloom was felled by that hero Kinsella behind the play at the start of the game. That was the only time he hit the deck. I suppose you condone spitting too? Be gracefull in the fact that SBMT won the game and on the day Ajax were not up to the challange. Never the less, you would have to go a long way to see a better game.

lozza5 said:
Hey Josh, where were you watching the game from. Bloom was felled by that hero Kinsella behind the play at the start of the game. That was the only time he hit the deck. I suppose you condone spitting too? Be gracefull in the fact that SBMT won the game and on the day Ajax were not up to the challange. Never the less, you would have to go a long way to see a better game.

Lozza becareful of accusing people of spitting because if it didn't happen that is slander my friend!!! What about the racial taunts towards the Scafidi brothers while we are accusing pepole of doing things, the Jacka's should know better than anyone that thats not on.

I think you should crawl back in the hole you come out off!!

It takes two to tango as the saying goes!!

CHOKERS

You seem to be on your high horse about behind the play incidents, maybe you should look in your own backyard and you will find that one of your players headbutted 38 behind play and came off second best. Two way street battler!!!!

Went to SB when I was a kid. Played against SBMT nad AJAX a few years back. Ajax seemed okay. As for SBMT - not a bad bunch of blokes but always had a few more tools than most clubs. That probably explains the childish crap from Surly and Josh.

Must have been a cracker of a game though. Congrats to both clubs.

it takes a lot to come back from 8 goals in a granny and i think surly and josh are just enjoying the moment after a few nights on the froffies

augie said:
Went to SB when I was a kid. Played against SBMT nad AJAX a few years back. Ajax seemed okay. As for SBMT - not a bad bunch of blokes but always had a few more tools than most clubs. That probably explains the childish crap from Surly and Josh.

Must have been a cracker of a game though. Congrats to both clubs.

Every club has tools unfortunately. It is just unfortunate that the tools are always the ones that give a club a reputation. Surly and Josh's comments will I'm sure be remembered by readers of this site today - inparticular Surly's as, rather than being a supporter (whose comments anyone can easily dismiss), he was a player on the day and his gloating stinks of bad sportsmanship.
As most posters have said, it was a great game from both sides (a better game from St Bedes) and St Bedes are the premiers for 2006. Enough said...

I don't often get on my soap box on this 'fun' thread but I'm going to try and put an end to some of the rot being thrown around of late.

Let's get one thing straight...neither team/nor club can take any high moral ground...as I said previously there was plenty going on both on and off the playing field and neither club can take ' the high ground' as a result of such.

In the cauldron of a Grand Final where the stakes are high things happen on and off the field. Clubs can not be responsible for every occurence whether it is on the playing field or in the crowd. No club(s) nor player(s) nor supporter(s) can be singled out nor should they be.

Not everyone is priviledge to all events that happen on and off the field on days like Saturday but the officialdom of the VAFA generally are aware or made aware of such, and will and did act on the day or will make club officials aware of such.

It then comes done to the wiser heads at Club level to make sensible decisions about what if anything requires action and what is deemed best left 'as a heat of the moment event' and what if anything can be sorted out by a phone call or two if needed.

So, let us all assume we all did things that normally we probably wouldn't and accept that it was part of a day that all of us won't forget for a long time....the thing to remember was the quality of the football and excitement generated of a result of such, that we were deemed lucky enough to witness.

I'm now getting down of my soapbox!

RCT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back