Can Adelaide still make the 8 this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll be 0-6 in 2 weeks time and in our current form even richmond can't be taken for granted. Won't make finals this year, barring some miracle.

However next year i'm confident we'll rebound nicely, whether neil craig will still be our coach is much less certain.

Making the 2010 finals now is probably too be an ask for the crows

They'll suffer rebuilding pains in 2011

They'll have to replace Doughty, Edwards, Hentschell, Burton, Griffin, Jacky, Armstrong, Douglas, Reilly, Stevens (if the concussion he has turns out real serious?) and possibly Goodwin, McLeod & Moran (if his knee is a degenerative issue?)

That much of a list turnover is a rebuild in anyone's language, hence requiring a few seasons to recover.

Then questions have to be asked about the coach.

He has all the sports science knowledge needed, he's determined, bullish, stubborn and 100% believes he is correct in his methods.

Those character traits combined will only get you so far in the AFL, hence the consistency the crows have enjoyed in being a perpetual finalist, always a bridesmaid, but never the bride.

Another factor which is hardly ever mentioned is that Craig never played AFL/VFL footy. The last guys to be closest to that record would be Gerard Neesham, who played 9 VFL games in the 1 season, and John Cahill, as a coach only, who had 1 reasonable season out of 4, IIRC.

AFL footy these days is a meat grinder, you have to be flexible, aggressive, innovative and a risk taker. None of which I see in Craig.

Their way forward is clear, at least it is to me, a new coach, a player cleanout, a coaching box cleanout and a retention of more of the money that they generate.

Our problem is we're out of form and injured and subsequently dropped games in the 'easy' part of our schedule.

It gets tougher from here and we'll really be pushing to make it unless we turn things around quickly.

I hope I'm not doubling up in a previous post in this thread as I havent bothered to read all the pages. In regards to 2004 where they lost their first 4. Has this already been spoken about which I'm think it has been ha

They'll have to replace Doughty, Edwards, Hentschell, Burton, Griffin, Jacky, Armstrong, Douglas, Reilly, Stevens (if the concussion he has turns out real serious?) and possibly Goodwin, McLeod & Moran (if his knee is a degenerative issue?)

But of a weird list there.

We have to replace Jacky and Armstrong? Wow, that's massive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But of a weird list there.

We have to replace Jacky and Armstrong? Wow, that's massive.

It's the quantity of players that will need to be turned over.

The list I compiled is of course subjective.

We've all seen it at other clubs when they've had to turn over 10 or 11 or 12 players for example, which is a quarter of the list, those clubs have felt the burden of a rebuild, which historically requires 3 or 4 years to rebound from.

Adelaide have been a real enigma over the past few years. When people expect them to have a good year, they fail. When it's expected they will fail, they prove everyone wrong.

Just shows how injuries can take their toll. I know. it happened to my team last year.

Essendon happened to your team last year...

Neil Craig won't coach out the season. Bookmark it.

Why do people think he wont be coaching? Its not like he is failing with a fully fit squad. There is a huge difference in the fitness of some players due to pre season injury, and 7 first choice players not in the side,as compared to last year. Take any random top 22 players, and take away another 5 or 6 players preseason from any team in the comp and they will struggle.

Adelaide played horrible in some games last year but still won. They played horrible vs Carlton and still had more scoring shots. Missed many easy goals. Had they have kicked with a normal accuracy % they would have won. They lost it for themselves.

It will turn around, players will regain fitness and come back from injury.

Mathematically Richmond can still win the minor premiership, however they will need a few games to fall their way....

if adelaide lose their next 2 they are goooone

might need 13 wins to make the 8 this year, they would need to win 13 of the last 16 just to make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Adelaide still make the 8 this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back