Can North upset the all conqering Cats?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time the tWo teams played there north won.... Geelong are all conquering due to what they've done in the last 5 years... Not just last round...

No they didn't.

I think BZAROO was hanging his hat on a NAB Cup game a few years ago where North beat us there. Last time they beat us there for premiership points Wayne Carey was still running around for them.

I think BZAROO was hanging his hat on a NAB Cup game a few years ago where North beat us there. Last time they beat us there for premiership points Wayne Carey was still running around for them.

Sounds bad until you realise that we've played there about twice in that time.

I've taken North +32.5 in my Multi. They might not win but I definitely think they'll get within 31 points.

Sounds bad until you realise that we've played there about twice in that time.

Excatly. Unlike most other Melb teams who have "neutral" home games in Melb, NMFC usually get the double wammy of terrible luck.

Having the Roos get beaten, and actually being forced to visit Geelong.... :p

So this has gone from "can NM beat the Cats" to NM and Ess supporters crapping on about round 1. Who cares now. Done and dusted! The only way for us to shut opposition supporters up is to win this game(however unlikely it might seem). Go Roos

having a crap day? Love it! Funny how that always happens when you get beat.

Essendon fans have been using the "off day" excuse for the last decade against us, last years game included. Don't act like it's something new.

On topic, we'll most likely get thrashed but I'll still be cheering my heart out. It's a win-win for me 'cause I'll at least be able to see the cats in action live for the first time since 2008. :thumbsu:

On topic, we'll most likely get thrashed but I'll still be cheering my heart out. It's a win-win for me 'cause I'll at least be able to see the cats in action live for the first time since 2008. :thumbsu:

I could easily see NM getting a few goals on the cats early like freo, it will be closer than you think if they can have the cats playing catch up for as much of the game as possible. ya never know

no they're not "lesser" clubs. They aren't as well-performed as Geelong of late, but let's not forget before this current era of dominence the Cats were the heartbreak team, the handbaggers. All credit to them the way they've turned themselves around and latterly become a byword for excellence.

As for Melbourne and Bulldog supporters saying North are no chance, what a ****ing shock. Anyone who spends any time on these boards will know there is a particular vitriol between these combinations of teams supporters. Or, more correctly, North v Bulldogs and North v Melbourne.

The Ziebell returns to go head to head with Selwood line hardly makes people think this is a thread worth serious discussion as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the record, our excuses for losses last year were twofold:

They are heaps better than us (Geelong x1, Collingwood x 2)

Lindsay Thomas' goalkicking (the rest)

I reckon Geelong are a bit of an unknown quantity this year still. You never know, they might have a bit of a down year. They lost to Fremantle and were always going to be competitive against the Hawks, in the end a little lucky to win thanks to a Hawthorn choke..

That being said, North? Can't see it happening.

OP has clearly mixed up his medication..

Calm down, junior.

Think a fair few people are getting the crux of the OP confused. No-one is saying that we should be favourites or worth tipping - just that there are a number of considerable factors that wouldn't hurt us in getting a favourable result.

We know we're a long way off matching the top sides on a consistent basis, and that despite the factors that would cause an upset, Geelong are still way too strong a unit to drop one Sunday. But if we were ever to cause a big upset, this week would be it.

Think we're still looking at a 4-5 goal loss, but as repeated many times in this thread - stranger things have happened.

Calm down, junior.

Think a fair few people are getting the crux of the OP confused. No-one is saying that we should be favourites or worth tipping - just that there are a number of considerable factors that wouldn't hurt us in getting a favourable result.

We know we're a long way off matching the top sides on a consistent basis, and that despite the factors that would cause an upset, Geelong are still way too strong a unit to drop one Sunday. But if we were ever to cause a big upset, this week would be it.

Think we're still looking at a 4-5 goal loss, but as repeated many times in this thread - stranger things have happened.

You've made too much sense and spelt too many words correctly for a Collingwood supporter.

I reckon Geelong are a bit of an unknown quantity this year still. You never know, they might have a bit of a down year. They lost to Fremantle and were always going to be competitive against the Hawks, in the end a little lucky to win thanks to a Hawthorn choke..

That being said, North? Can't see it happening.

Think thats mostly fair. I can see how our winning was to a degree lucky although with that many kids in our side , with that many goals from Pods and Hawk , it seems like we utilized a weakness, exposed the underbelly and got a win with a underdone side and a bunch of green kids.

As for North , Fair again. The slow ramp up means Geelong will not be hitting the ground at their peak for a weeks yet. Our on ballers are not quite the group they were once. Yes they can mix it up with anyone but can they butter up like they could in 07? Probably not. So , more responsibility goes on to the kids and your kids should be able to match them.

The question is can we expose your underbelly too. We will be going long and strong , very simple and flag winning football. You know what we are going to do. You want to be a real finals side, step it up and show it to the comp your not just "ordinary". Should be a good match .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back