Can North upset the all conqering Cats?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we lost to Essendon.

After Bomber switched and it was 4 points....

After going 13 on the trot.

Dons played well (over their normal) .

And North does have speed and skill ( compared to G witches Hats. )
North also had a good first 1/4 last year and then got torn open.

Same list with another year under belt suggest in it till 1/2 time this year at least...

Go Catters.

Of course they could, but it is highly unlikely.

There is an enormous difference between the best of Geelong and the best of North, but we aren't guaranteed to see Geelong at their best. If North perform at their best, and Geelong put in a shocker - anything can happen.

Having said that I'd be amazed if North Melbourne came away from this game with a win. There's a significant gulf between the quality of Geelong and North, and I expect that to be reflected on the scoreboard. North have talked themselves up but have been somewhat noncompetitive against the top sides and I've seen nothing from North Melbourne to suggest that that trend is about to change.

If Goldstein and McIntosh get on top in the ruck early against West and Stephenson, it will give the North midfielders a chance.

North does have enough scoring potential in Petrie and Edwards to kick a winning score against a defence without Scarlett in it.

Bang on!
Ruck is the key for us, and big marking forwards will deliver, as long as our mid kids can hit their targets.

I've also noticed so far in this thread supporters of the better clubs are giving north a lot more respect than supporters of lesser clubs, expected as much... Overall thanks for the input, more realistic posts here than piss taking troll posts.

I think they're certainly in with a remote chance at Docklands. I'd expect a solid, competitive game for about three quarters. Just depends on which three quarters those happen to be.

It'll be interesting to see just how effective the McIntosh/Goldstein combo is this time. I'm not convinced.

North have speed and skill?

If anything, that has been the knock on them. Lack of both.

People who actually watch and understand footy, as opposed to just re-hashing tired Internet opinions, know that we've moved to rectify this, and with success.

The addition of Kieran Harper and Jamie Macmillan (both beautiful users of the footy) has really addressed disposal issues. In particular, both of them play a role where they are designated "inside 50" users. Harper is also very quick while Macmillan no slouch.

The move of Sam Wright (another excellent kick) to the backline, where he is playing very well, is helping with bringing the ball out. Similarly, playing Atley (one of the quickest "first few steps" in the game) in the back pocket and Harvey behind the ball has really increased our pace in moving the ball out.

Does this mean we will beat Geelong? No.

If our rucks do well - I'd like to see Goldy rucking most of the game and HMac playing as a permanent forward against Geelong - we give our mids a chance.

We have excellent young mids, particularly inside mids (having Ziebell back is huge). The problem is they will be going up against one of the best, if not THE BEST, contested ball winning unit of all time.

FFS, those blokes just smashed Hawthorn in the last quarter to win the game and the set up of Mitchell and Sewell et al are no slouches.

However, stranger things have happened. And who knows, this could be the beginning of Norths victory run.

Interestingly, it was the last time we beat you - Rd3 2007, Simmo with 40+ touches - that seemed to spark you into one of the greatest runs of form in the history of the game. IIRC you came out and pumped Richmond by 59 goals the next week and have never looked back.

These things do happen. I'm just not sure this week be the time it happens for us.

north are pushing for finals, the advantages slightly come in to play and favour north, the 6 day turn around after having a tough encounter with freo interstate, another tough encounter with the hawks batered and bruised, not at skilled stadium will be a factor.
Im going for north to pull one out of the bag, cats ageing stars will start to feel the heat especially as they become the hunted

north are pushing for finals, the advantages slightly come in to play and favour north, the 6 day turn around after having a tough encounter with freo interstate, another tough encounter with the hawks batered and bruised, not at skilled stadium will be a factor.
Im going for north to pull one out of the bag, cats ageing stars will start to feel the heat especially as they become the hunted

When you say become the hunted... you mean like we have been since 2007 right...

And by aging stars you refer to same guys getting that criticism since 2009...

just so we are clear... :D

Go Catters

what are you talking about "especially as they have become the hunted"???

Theyve been 'the hunted' since 2008.

Fail

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 6 v 7 day break ain't much of a factor this early in the season. Geelong should have ample recovery time.

If our new run and carry handball style can hold up against Geelong's pressure and we win the middle then we're a big chance. Big if's at this stage, though.

If Goldstein and McIntosh get on top in the ruck early against West and Stephenson, it will give the North midfielders a chance.

North does have enough scoring potential in Petrie and Edwards to kick a winning score against a defence without Scarlett in it.

Is that the same Backline that just took care of Franklin, Roughead, Hale and Gunston? id be more worried if I were North about there back line handling Hawkins, Pods Stevie J Chappy etc

Mackie will get 1st crack at Edwards
Lonegan on McIntosh
Taylor on Petrie
Guthrie can do a job on Thomas

Who else are North going to throw into there forward line

Is that the same Backline that just took care of Franklin, Roughead, Hale and Gunston? id be more worried if I were North about there back line handling Hawkins, Pods Stevie J Chappy etc

Mackie will get 1st crack at Edwards
Lonegan on McIntosh
Taylor on Petrie
Guthrie can do a job on Thomas

Who else are North going to throw into there forward line

They'll run Harvey and Campbell through there.

North doesn't have a bad defence. McMahon did a good job in round 1 on Hurley so he'll get either Hawkins or Pods. Firrito can either play tall or small. He's probably eyeing off Stevie J and then forcing him up the ground.

They'll run Harvey and Campbell through there.
Harper and Adams will push forward as will Wells at times, but it doesn't matter who is up there if Geelong smack us in the middle. We have been poor in clearances and contested possessions this year up until GWS, but that doesn't count for much.

North doesn't have a bad defence. McMahon did a good job in round 1 on Hurley so he'll get either Hawkins or Pods. Firrito can either play tall or small. He's probably eyeing off Stevie J and then forcing him up the ground.
That'd be Firitto you're thinking of. Him, Thompson and hopefully one of Hansen or Luke Delaney will be options for Hawkins and Pods. Goldy may drop back in the hole too.

This could be a danger game of Geelong as I think North will push them all the way = a close win to the Cats.

Why start these threads? Smacks of a need for acceptance.

Very unlikely. Geelong too drilled, North were incapable of sustaining 4 quarters of pressure on Essendon.

No indications we'll do any better on a far better drilled and more experienced unit this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back