Can we talk about the captaincy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gawn's style ATM works when things are on the up, with a confident group.
Can he bring the majority of them up when things go wrong over an extended length of time? Does he have the capacity for exuding a forceful will toward those that stray off the party line?
If a senior coach has to be a good general, then a good captain has to have those same people management skills.
OR a captain can just be ceremonial and good at talking to the media.
As anyone who has had a leadership role at any level, be it sports, business, or education, from children to adults, can tell you; it can be like herding 'cats'.[NPI]

He needs to remain captain at least for the league record breaking game

Do people magically think if Joel hands over the captaincy that all our woes will disappear
The lack of respect in some of these posts astounds me

Footy clubs must have changed a lot over the past decade....

Danger is the only logical replacement as captain.

Scott finished chappy, Stevie, Kelly and Bartel, yet he's less sure on Joel.

I don't want to see him play vfl. Who's there though to take his spot? Why did we get Higgins if we don't use him as a mid? We have no 20 23 year olds pushing Joel out either.

Salary cap is tight, if Joel retired we could go for Stephens from the swans.
Danger may retire the same time as selwood.

stewart is the replacement.

Do people magically think if Joel hands over the captaincy that all our woes will disappear

Ofcourse they dont. its not even about helping. Its just his time. there is a very reasonable chance he aint top 22 next season like nathan jones. he needs to just focus on his game now rather then the team overall.

Ofcourse they dont. its not even about helping. Its just his time. there is a very reasonable chance he aint top 22 next season like nathan jones. he needs to just focus on his game now rather then the team overall.

I posted earlier that he keeps it if he plays on
Should he come to an absolute grinding halt we address it mid season as we’ll have an idea of how the season is going

need to find a different role for him though

I posted earlier that he keeps it if he plays on
Should he come to an absolute grinding halt we address it mid season as we’ll have an idea of how the season is going

need to find a different role for him though
and when has a captain swapped mid season? The media speculation will just be horrific and sad and for no reason.

and selwoods form is already coming to a grinding halt. Played midfield the whole finals series and averaged only 18 touches a game. Terrible.

I’m backing in Joel until retirement. A lot has been made of his game the other night and I think he has copped a lot of unfair criticism.

He busted his gut for the jumper and lead from the front. He might not be the player he was 5 years ago but for mine he was still in our best on Friday night (not a high bar I know).

As for the 50m penalty I think two factors need to appreciated:
1. Joel was illegally shepherded (almost tackled really) and had a right to be angry
2. Even so he didn’t cross the line, the Melbourne player took a dive.

The only case I think can be made for a new captain is having a new voice to motivate a lead the players as they have been lead by the same voice for the last decade now.

But I don’t really see any obvious alternative choices. Hawkins maybe (just as old). Stewart is a good player but seems more a larrikin than a leader IMO.

and when has a captain swapped mid season? The media speculation will just be horrific and sad and for no reason.

and selwoods form is already coming to a grinding halt. Played midfield the whole finals series and averaged only 18 touches a game. Terrible.

Assuming he’d retire mid year if it we’re the case

There’s nothing wrong being ropeable. End it there though.

jake Lever’s little word to his teammate after the Miers free kick - that was leadership.

I love Joel but tye fact that his body can’t do what he wants it to do is impacting his leadership and his demeanour
Lever did well there but it's easy being leader when things are on your terms

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selwood will play on next year and he will be the captain. We all know that’s the way it will be. The club will be hell bent on not changing too much after the disastrous prelim. They have already put it down to a virus sweeping through the club as an excuse. They are in denial, and us as supporters have no choice but to watch on as next year will be the same as this year.

It Wouldn’t surprise me if Blitcavs was appointed captain when Selwood steps away. That’s the kind of stupid shit the club does.

Stewart should be the captain.

Hopefully Mark O’Connor can string together a good season next year and take over in 2023. Was touted as a leader 12 months ago and strikes me as the right option.

A lesser light who’s leadership would be viewed as the players captain like Tom Harley back in the day.

Rather than the inspirational leader who has the sole responsibility of lifting the team his own shoulders when the chips are down which is what it seems people expect of Selwood.

Last edited:
Did a similar thing in a final against Melbourne a few years ago.

Just to clarify, that similar thing was when Selwood was attempting to get off the ground, two Melb players deliberately impede his path, Selwood physically says "get the **** out of my way", ump pays a free, then Melb players continue to harrass.
Always annoying how the reaction gets penalised yet the initial infringements and the re-reactions don't.

Yes it would have to be Stewart. I don’t know Blicavs personally, but on-field he isn’t the most intelligent footballer going around, and he’s also 31 in March.

Outside of Stewart we might need to get someone from the outside in the next couple of years as I don’t see the right personality types on our list, or at least none who have got senior games yet.

Not many would have picked Harley or Ling to be skippers. It’s about picking the best leader, not the best player. We have lots of leaders, I think the next skipper will come from our leadership group - Danger, Stewart, Blicavs, Duncan, Tuohy or O’Connor.

Hopefully Mitch O’Connor can string together a good season next year and take over in 2023. Was touted as a leader 12 months ago and strikes me as the right option.

A lesser light who’s leadership would be viewed as the players captain like Tom Harley back in the day.

Rather than the inspirational leader who has the sole responsibility of lifting the team his own shoulders when the chips are down which is what it seems people expect of Selwood.

Mark O’Connor.

Hopefully Mitch O’Connor can string together a good season next year and take over in 2023. Was touted as a leader 12 months ago and strikes me as the right option.

I agree. Mark Duncan too.

If you are going to post an out there statement, you should at least get the blokes name right to help your credibility lol.

Stewart is the one. Has leadership written all over him. Even stood in to help coach the womens team on his own time.

Speaking of assistant coaches & moving on...

West Coast is interested in bringing experienced Geelong assistant coach Matthew Knights to the club.

Foxfooty.com.au understands Knights is out of contract and open to a move as the Eagles look to rejuvenate their football department following the departures of Adrian Hickmott and Jaymie Graham.

Knights, who has been at the club in some capacity since late 2011, is aware of West Coast’s interest in him.

He was the Cats’ VFL coach from 2012-2014 and has looked after the midfield since 2015.

---

Is it too soon to wish him luck out West?

F18D3A6B-C802-4F39-8E74-171012F312AA.gif

I've just gotta say I don't think Selwood should be above criticism especially from the die-hard fans in here - and I agree with anyone who points out that his record as captain isn't great and that maybe he has succumbed to seeking short-term personal success above the long-term success of the club. Those are valid criticisms. But I 100% agree that we have to keep it respectful. I have been so sickened by some of the disrespectful stuff that has been said about Joel this year, even from the mainstream media. I actually saw an article after Friday's loss, about the 50m penalty Joel gave away, titled "Rivals laugh in whingeing AFL star's face" by some loser called James Matthey. The entire point of the article was to report on such important news that Melbourne players and trainer laughed at Selwood while he complained to the umpire that Langdon took a dive. No mention of the fact that Selwood is captain, a veteran and absolute champion of the game. No mention of the fact that the player in question, who is far from a champion of the game, had in fact taken a dive, which is against the spirit of the game. This sort of reporting isn't a one-off. It's the worst of our game. Can you imagine if Joel had taken a dive to win a free and the Melbourne player had complained and been laughed at? Can you imagine the outrage there would be against Joel for diving and at the players who had laughed about it? People just seem to line-up to kick champions of the game once their careers are winding up. It makes me sick.

Not many would have picked Harley or Ling to be skippers. It’s about picking the best leader, not the best player. We have lots of leaders, I think the next skipper will come from our leadership group - Danger, Stewart, Blicavs, Duncan, Tuohy or O’Connor.
Harley was the best appointment the club had, as it broke the mould of giving the best players (exception: Ablett) the captaincy.

West Coast broke the mould with this - their three stars were Kemp, Matera and Jakovich. Who was captain? Some back pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back