All Australian
Apr 16, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC, Man Utd, Melb Vic.
Hot off the rumour mill.

Carey chooses Sydney as the club he wants to play with next season.

Expected to be announced later this week.

Or does he choose Essendon

I was told from a person at the club (who shall remain nameless) that Carey to Essendon was a done deal 2 weeks ago! We in turn recieve their 1st round draft pick and Scott Lucas, although we are trying to get Blumfield instead. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see which rumour mill proves accurate!

Heh Briedis he would have been handy saturday night if he had have switched sides maybe they both were auditioning for next season .
Couldnt really see the swans letting Nicks go but heh funny things happen in football.

Originally posted by a4brianp
Heh Briedis he would have been handy saturday night if he had have switched sides maybe they both were auditioning for next season .
Couldnt really see the swans letting Nicks go but heh funny things happen in football.

I reckon Nicks has shaped up as the successor to Kelly's captaincy at Sydney over the last few years. I don't know how many other team leaders there are, but much as we didn't want to lose Bell, there are similarities I suppose.

Nicks's form has been pretty wobbly this year, hence him getting dropped, but as always he (and Kelly) fired up against North and had a decent game to probably retain his spot for next week.

I rate Nicks, as a first-team selection at least, and would like to have him at North, but would still want a draft pick if he is part of the Carey trade.

Originally posted by a4brianp

Yeah, I kept sane through it all by imagining Nicks in a North jumper next year!

It amazes me that supporters from other clubs think that they can give up nothing to get Carey just because he is old. At 32 he is still a far, far better player than any of the Swans players.

I just hope we don't end up with Seymore as you were suggesting to me on Saturday. I would have serious doubts over any future recruiting done by North if they made that swap... Seymore is a dud.

Originally posted by Briedis

I just hope we don't end up with Seymore as you were suggesting to me on Saturday. I would have serious doubts over any future recruiting done by North if they made that swap... Seymore is a dud.

A poor man's Steve Kretiuk, who in turn is a poor man's Glenn Archer.

At the same time, while other teams' supporters might suggest trading Rowan Warfe and pick #83 for Carey, you've got some Roos looking at Justin Leppitsch for David Bourke :mad: plus Adam Lange type trades.

In the end of it, it will all work out somewhere in between but hopefully with us still ripping a few other clubs off. :D

Originally posted by Briedis

Yeah, I kept sane through it all by imagining Nicks in a North jumper next year!

It amazes me that supporters from other clubs think that they can give up nothing to get Carey just because he is old. At 32 he is still a far, far better player than any of the Swans players.

I dont mind Nicks as a player. At 185cm and with good skills and hardness, he'd be a good recruit to an extent. Only doubt is that he is 27 and hence mght only have 4 or 5 years left. I'd like their first and/or second round pick as well, something they have said they wont be giving up. If not, then i'd want more than just Nicks. Contrary to popular opinion, i rate Goodes and would be thrilled to see him in our colours. 22 years old with his best footy in front of him and at 191cm, would fit in terrifically in a numebr of areas, none the least our defense. I'd take him over Nicks, just for longevity more than anything else.

Our limited news in Qld said that he has officially said no to Richmond and is choosing between just two teams. They also added that the favourite was Sydney...........which makes me sick.........I'd much prefer Essendon and take Blumfield and their first draft pick...a reasonable deal I reckon!!

If he goes to sydney no-one will ever convince me that this wasn't a set up by the AFL to get him there!!! The game in Sydney needs a lift so get the most talked about player in (out) of football to them and do heaps of promotions with him and guess what, eventually drag him out as the new coach in four seasons..3 playing, 1 as assistant coach....all part of a long term plan.......

Originally posted by classicyds
Our limited news in Qld said that he has officially said no to Richmond and is choosing between just two teams. They also added that the favourite was Sydney...........which makes me sick.........I'd much prefer Essendon and take Blumfield and their first draft pick...a reasonable deal I reckon!!

If he goes to sydney no-one will ever convince me that this wasn't a set up by the AFL to get him there!!! The game in Sydney needs a lift so get the most talked about player in (out) of football to them and do heaps of promotions with him and guess what, eventually drag him out as the new coach in four seasons..3 playing, 1 as assistant coach....all part of a long term plan.......

That's the one thing most fans don't consider is the contribution that players the quality of Carey can make once they do retire.

Originally posted by Carlos

I dont mind Nicks as a player. At 185cm and with good skills and hardness, he'd be a good recruit to an extent. Only doubt is that he is 27 and hence mght only have 4 or 5 years left.

Has Wayne been taking longevity pills or something we don't know about? :D You'd be hell lucky to get 3 years out of carey!

FWIW, I would be rapt if we traded Seymour for Carey, and a bit disappointed if we traded Nicks (so something in the middle might be about right....)

None of the "young guns" would be on the table - Goodes, Saddington, Kennelly, Doyle....

How about this? Any two from Bolton, Mathews, Seymour, McPherson and Kirk, plus a round 3 pick. It's not exactly replacing quality with quality - but I reckon North would be keen to reduce their salary payments, and you can't do that with a trade for Nicks/Goodes, for example.

I imagine North would demand more than he's worth.. and sydney would offer less than he's worth. They'll work it out, or he goes elsewhere. I'm not too fussed - I don't think we're so desperate for him that we'll give up too much. Let him go to Adelaide, if they're so bloody keen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont mind Nicks as a player. At 185cm and with good skills and hardness, he'd be a good recruit to an extent. Only doubt is that he is 27 and hence mght only have 4 or 5 years left.

That is why I reckon he is a fair swap for Carey. Carey would only have 2-3 years left.

Originally posted by Desredandwhite
Has Wayne been taking longevity pills or something we don't know about? :D You'd be hell lucky to get 3 years out of carey!
I reckon 3 would be about right to be honest. I get what you're saying, but i think its the lure of getting the biggest name in the game mroe than what he can deliver playing wise that has your club licking its lips.

And if, and it is a sizeable "if", he was able to get back to his best form, 2 or 3 years of Carey brilliance is just about worth 5 or so years of Nicks' best, and thats no offence meant to Nicks by the way.

Has Matthew Nicks played 100 great games in his career that I have completely missed or something?

Matthew Nicks you say?

Pfft.

How about this? Any two from Bolton, Mathews, Seymour, McPherson and Kirk, plus a round 3 pick. It's not exactly replacing quality with quality - but I reckon North would be keen to reduce their salary payments, and you can't do that with a trade for Nicks/Goodes, for example.

Why would we want to take those players off the Swans hands? Seriously Dessie! North will not want to get two ordinary players for Carey as it means that we can not promote one of our kids as their spot will be taken by one of the duds you listed... North would end up worse off with that kind of trade, be reasonable mate.

If you want Carey, you will have to give up a good quality experienced player. Nicks/Carey is a fair swap. Nicks may play for an extra couple of years, but he does not have the ability to stamp himself on a game like Carey does, plus Carey may well stay on after he has retired an help out with promotion and coaching.

The Swans would win and North would win out of the trade.

I can't see why the Swans would give up any of their young talent and I do not expect them to.

I'm not too fussed with draft picks as I reckon we have a fair amount of young talent waiting in the wings at the moment.

I reckon 3 would be about right to be honest. I get what you're saying, but i think its the lure of getting the biggest name in the game mroe than what he can deliver playing wise that has your club licking its lips.

And if, and it is a sizeable "if", he was able to get back to his best form, 2 or 3 years of Carey brilliance is just about worth 5 or so years of Nicks' best, and thats no offence meant to Nicks by the way.

I agree. I really think that is a fair trade between clubs.

Actually to be completely honest, you're right - Carey for Nicks is a decent deal. I'm a big fan of Matty though, and I reckon he's quite under-rated :D

The X-factor is the Carey potential vs the Carey reality. IF he had been on song for the last couple of years, I would hock Nicksy AND Seymour AND a round 2 pick to get him. The problem is that he HAS been injury prone. I know the tendency is to think that the year off would have done him the world of good. Just that know one can or does know for sure!

We shall see...

Just for the record - There are many, MANY Sydney fans who won't even entertain the thought of Wayne Carey heading to sydney. I'm not one of them. I don't necessarily like the way he holds himself on the field, or his patented arrogance, but you can't deny the class of player that he is. The club is bigger than any one individual, so if you wear the red and white guernsey, I will support you.

Actually to be completely honest, you're right - Carey for Nicks is a decent deal. I'm a big fan of Matty though, and I reckon he's quite under-rated :D

The X-factor is the Carey potential vs the Carey reality. IF he had been on song for the last couple of years, I would hock Nicksy AND Seymour AND a round 2 pick to get him. The problem is that he HAS been injury prone. I know the tendency is to think that the year off would have done him the world of good. Just that know one can or does know for sure!

We shall see...

If his pre-season form this year was anything to go by, you can expect a huge input from the Duck. He looked better than he has for many years and the extra time off would have certainly added 2 years to his football life IMO.

Just for the record - There are many, MANY Sydney fans who won't even entertain the thought of Wayne Carey heading to sydney. I'm not one of them. I don't necessarily like the way he holds himself on the field, or his patented arrogance, but you can't deny the class of player that he is. The club is bigger than any one individual, so if you wear the red and white guernsey, I will support you.

Are these the same Swans fans that let a pig onto the field with "Plugga" painted on the side to show what they thought of the St.Kilda full forward, yet one year later were cheering him on as one of their own?

Mate, the Swans fans will love Wayne Carey in 12 months time.

Two or three years of Carey circa 1998 is worth 5 years of Matthew Nicks?
I'm with Northbhoy. Pfft!

Originally posted by windsock
Two or three years of Carey circa 1998 is worth 5 years of Matthew Nicks?
I'm with Northbhoy. Pfft!
Fair enough too!!

I nearly chucked when i read that. A very serious typo from me there. I meant 3 years of Carey's best is just about (Carlos trying to practice diplomacy) worth MORE than 5 years of Nicks' best. To be honest, it is a gross understatement as 3 years of Carey's best is worth more than Nicks' whole career but i was being nice to Des!

Remove this Banner Ad

Carey chooses Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back