Carey or Ablett

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it’s a joke but what’s funny is that Vickery was a more accurate kick than Ablett. 🤣

A goal/behind ratio of 1.83 v 1.49

Maybe Ablett people can come back down to earth now. He wasn’t that good.

You might need to look this up...

John Butcher at Port had a better accurate goal kicking percentage than Nick Riewoldt. lol

You won’t watch this but you should. That’s his peak for me.

6 well directed kicks inside 50 to a target (3 marked, 3 spoiled) and one "handball" goal assist but deemed a throw. But sure let's lambaste him for the time where he marks inside 50 and has a shot while no one is leading/calling for the footy. Like basically every other power forward of the generation.

Like his freak kicking ability that’s proven to be worse than than Vickery’s. Like that?

And if you want to to talk about well known. It’s well known GAS couldn’t be f’ed training and often rocked up drunk, people don’t make up crazy things like that from nowhere.

Which is explains the keg in the photo. So yeah come back down to earth for once and stop simping for a guy who doesn’t even care about Geelong.
I see your obsession with anything and everything Geelong remains unabated.

I see your obsession with anything and everything Geelong remains unabated.

I see that you couldn’t rebut my comment, because it’s true.

I’m actually shocked at how much Geelong people live in their own little reality.

GAS was apparently the pinnacle of fitness and work ethic now 🤣🤣🤣

I reckon if he ate soggy weetbix you’d all think it’s the best cereal ever made 🤣

I see that you couldn’t rebut my comment, because it’s true.

I’m actually shocked at how much Geelong people live in their own little reality.

GAS was apparently the pinnacle of fitness and work ethic now 🤣🤣🤣

I reckon if he ate soggy weetbix you’d all think it’s the best cereal ever made 🤣
Not sure what his personal failings have to do with his football prowess. GAS was an out and out champion of the game. FACT. He was a once in a generation beast of the game. FACT. Extra seasons tickets and weekly tickets were sold to cater for people who simply wanted to witness GAS in action. FACT. Tell me of another footballer who attracted such attention.

I'm not sure why you diminish GAS's contribution to the game. He kicked more goals against your hapless Tigers than any other player in the history of the game and that includes Lockett, Coventry, Buddy, Dunstall, and Hudson. FACT

BTW, where is the proof he ever turned up drunk at training? I've never heard that before, and I am confident you made that up like most of your tall stories.

Not sure what his personal failings have to do with his football prowess. GAS was an out and out champion of the game. FACT. He was a once in a generation beast of the game. FACT. Extra seasons tickets and weekly tickets were sold to cater for people who simply wanted to witness GAS in action. FACT. Tell me of another footballer who attracted such attention.

I'm not sure why you diminish GAS's contribution to the game. He kicked more goals against your hapless Tigers than any other player in the history of the game and that includes Lockett, Coventry, Buddy, Dunstall, and Hudson. FACT

BTW, where is the proof he ever turned up drunk at training? I've never heard that before, and I am confident you made that up like most of your tall stories.

It’s cause he didn’t really achieve a whole lot. FACT.

And I really don’t care about goals kicked against my team before I was born. Sorry.

Also pretty sure Dunstal kicked a bag of 17 against us, more than your mates 14. I don’t have a problem with him, mainly because he’s a winner.

It’s cause he didn’t really achieve a whole lot. FACT.

And I really don’t care about goals kicked against my team before I was born. Sorry.

Also pretty sure Dunstal kicked a bag of 17 against us, more than your mates 14. I don’t have a problem with him, mainly because he’s a winner.

You seem to care a whole lot about behinds kicked against other teams before you were born, for some unknown reason.

You seem to turn up in threads to moan about someone who retired before you were born.

You seem to care a whole lot about behinds kicked against other teams before you were born, for some unknown reason.

You seem to turn up in threads to moan about someone who retired before you were born.

Call me crazy but I do have an issue with a guy getting putting above other greats of the game because he looked cool. It’s flat out disrespectful to those like Carey who actually achieved something significant and were statistically superior is essentially every way.

On top of that the mayo that’s gets put on GAS is unreal, the bloke can get paid a mark without even taking a mark and be called the fittest athlete at the club in preseason even though he rocked up pissed and had a gut Trump would be proud of. The cult of Gary is so far removed from reality it’s scary.

He also was apparently the biggest showman in the history of the game. But yet Geelong has a pittyful supporter base? It doesn’t quite seem to match does it? Just another thing that gets pulled out of Geelongs supporters asses yet again, they have no proof whatsoever.

Call me crazy but I do have an issue with a guy getting putting above other greats of the game because he looked cool. It’s flat out disrespectful to those like Carey who actually achieved something significant and were statistically superior is essentially every way.

On top of that the mayo that’s gets put on GAS is unreal, the bloke can get paid a mark without even taking a mark and be called the fittest athlete at the club in preseason even though he rocked up pissed and had a gut Trump would be proud of. The cult of Gary is so far removed from reality it’s scary.

He also was apparently the biggest showman in the history of the game. But yet Geelong has a pittyful supporter base? It doesn’t quite seem to match does it? Just another thing that gets pulled out of Geelongs supporters asses yet again, they have no proof whatsoever.

You are so detached from reality it's a bit worrying. Almost narcissistic is your viewpoint of players who played the game over a quarter of a century ago.

The hatred in your posts appear to be more about competition than anything else. You probably feel as though Dustin Martin should be in the same bracket as a player like Ablett Snr. Knowing he never will be is eating at you inside and it's detrimental to your overall health in the long run.

You are so detached from reality it's a bit worrying. Almost narcissistic is your viewpoint of players who played the game over a quarter of a century ago.

The hatred in your posts appear to be more about competition than anything else. You probably feel as though Dustin Martin should be in the same bracket as a player like Ablett Snr. Knowing he never will be is eating at you inside and it's detrimental to your overall health in the long run.

Let me think would I rather have the best finals player ever who is a triple premiership player or some guy who won nothing but at least he’s good in pub debates?

Dusty will be a legend in the HOF. GAS will not, we’ll see who gets better remembered.

Carey
Ablett
Both awesome footballers, who’s the best!

The argument used to always be who was best out of Dunstall, Lockett and Ablett.

When Carey was playing it was widely accepted that Carey was better than all three of them. I can't recall any serious arguments about whether Ablett was better than Carey.

Since retirement Ablett's legacy seems to have grown based on a highlights reel, so much so that he's not only better than Lockett and Dunstall, but he's also better than Carey.

Truly bizzare.
:shrug:

The argument used to always be who was best out of Dunstall, Lockett and Ablett.

When Carey was playing it was widely accepted that Carey was better than all three of them. I can't recall any serious arguments about whether Ablett was better than Carey.

Since retirement Ablett's legacy seems to have grown based on a highlights reel, so much so that he's not only better than Lockett and Dunstall, but he's also better than Carey.

Truly bizzare.

Well it was 16 years ago that Sheahan did his top 50 or whatever it was to commemorate 150 years of the code and he had both Carey and Ablett in his top four (along with Matthews and Whitten). It had been basically a decade or less since all of the players you mentioned retired.

How much do you think his legend grew in 10 years?

Again, the people going into bat for him aren’t people who just watched a couple of marks or freak snaps at goal.

They’re people who watched him play regularly, coupled it with the fact that he kicked 1000 goals - one of 6 in history - added it to the fact that he did realistically as the only one who didn’t do it as a permanent forward his entire career and did it with an entirely different skillset to the rest of them.

To listen to people talk about Carey you’d think he was Glenn Jakovich and Nick Riewoldt rolled into one. The reality was he was a very capable player at going back when he had to but he didn’t have to all that often. He was the greatest CHF the game has seen, not a player who teleported from the forward 50 to the back 50 at will.

The fact is that they are talked about because they WERE that good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Truly bizzare.

My dad said the same thing regarding Lockett. I don’t see a reasonable argument for GAS being better than Lockett. He’s statistically better in almost every way including awards.

Well it was 16 years ago that Sheahan did his top 50 or whatever it was to commemorate 150 years of the code and he had both Carey and Ablett in his top four (along with Matthews and Whitten). It had been basically a decade or less since all of the players you mentioned retired.

How much do you think his legend grew in 10 years?
Well I'm not talking about Sheahan, I'm talking about the regular punter, eg. people in this thread.

Mike had Carey and Matthews as 1 and 2.

He had Ablett, Lockett, Dunstall 4 to 6.

I'm sure he could have justified putting 4-6 in any order, but they would never have been in the discussion for top 2.

Well I'm not talking about Sheahan, I'm talking about the regular punter, eg. people in this thread.

Mike had Carey and Matthews as 1 and 2.

He had Ablett, Lockett, Dunstall 4 to 6.

I'm sure he could have justified putting 4-6 in any order, but they would never have been in the discussion for top 2.

Who was 3?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carey or Ablett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back